“Do not stay here!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fairbanks
Country Comforts Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #25 of 40 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
San Antonio, TX
“Do not stay here!”
Reviewed 17 December 2006

This place cancelled our reservations without even telling us! We had chosen to stay at here since they advertised laundry service, and transportation to the train depot and airport and had booked two nights with them. We also called to confirm the lodging about 2 weeks prior to our stay. However, when we arrived at Fairbanks on the train, not only were they not there to pick us up but when we were called them, they told us they had closed. We did not receive any notification of this although they claimed that they let us know. We know for a fact that no messages were left at our home. Additionally, they went to no effort to help us with alternative lodging but basically left us on our own at the train station with no place to stay for the night. Thanks to help from some wonderful Alaska Railroad employees, we were able to find the last available room at a downtown Fairbanks hotel (which cost us more). This place really messed up a part of our trip and was totally unhelpful in fixing it. Do not try to stay here.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank TXJoe

Business
Central New York
Reviewed 31 August 2006

The Dunshie's were nice enough people, so I don't have a complaint about them, but I didn't really enjoy my stay there all that much. I found the place to be cluttered and wouldn't agree with the way it is represented in the website or the brochure my travel agent gave me. I had a "queen suite with private bath" booked, but I had to share the bathroom with 2 other rooms - hardly private.

After traveling solo from Anchorage to Fairbanks, with a 4 day stop at Denali National Park (see my review about Denali Cabins and the Super 8 in Anchorage too), I had some laundry to do and the brochure said "laundry available". There were towels and other linens piled high in the downstairs bathroom where the washer and dryer were. Not appealing, but I needed to do my laundry. I was expecting better fitness equipment than they had, but there's lots of places to walk around in Fairbanks so I got my exercise that way. There's no way I would have ever considered using the hot tub - in the middle of a bedroom downstairs.

Fairbanks itself is a bit of a letdown, and staying here didn't help matters much. If I were to ever go back to Fairbanks I'd spend the money and stay at a Super 8 or someplace similar. I could not recommend this place in good faith and feel bad that I can't say much of anything that's positive. Sorry folks....

• Liked — It was the cheapest place my travel agent could find during tourist season.
  • Disliked — The place itself did not meet the expectations set forth by the website or brochure
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay someplace AAA rated.
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank NatlParkLoverNY

Travellers are raving about these Fairbanks hotels

rochelle illinois
Reviewed 8 July 2006

This place was a joke. My wife and I reserved the Jacuzzi Suite in November for two nights and when we arrived in June we were greeted at the door and told we had to stay in a different room. I paid $ 135.00 by CC in November to reserve the room, which is one night's deposit. The owner told us we could use the jacuzzi down in the basement. Does that sound like a Jacuzzi Suite to the average traveler? It gets better.

The man told my wife and I to let them know when we wanted to use to the jacuzzi and they would move out of the way for us. Why did they need to move out of the way? IT WAS BECAUSE THEIR BED WAS RIGHT NEXT TO THE JACUZZI. How romantic! Like I'm going to go downstairs at 11:30 at night and ask an older couple to move out of their bed.

Then I asked about reindeer sausage for breakfast because it's part of their advertisement on the website. The gentlemen didn't have any and wasn't about to go out an get any.

At the end of the stay the lady wanted our credit card to settle the bill for the remaining $135.00 which is the price for the "Jacuzzi Suite." I told them I was willing to pay for the room we stayed in, but not the room with the jacuzzi in it, since we really didn't sleep in that room. There was a major difference in price between the suite and the room we actually stayed in upstairs. The owner said I needed to pay for the "jacuzzi suite" since technically we had access to it. After some discussion he finally gave me some money back but not the whole difference. There is a reason you can't find this B&B in any Alaska brochures or tourist magazines. It really ticks me off that these people didn't e-mail me and tell me that they were sleeping in the basement and that we could sleep upstairs at a lower price. They tried to pull a fast one on us and may try the same with you.

• Stayed June 2006