“Exactly as advertised”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fairbanks
Aurora Borealis Lodge
Akron, Ohio
“Exactly as advertised”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We booked three nights here in a second floor room. The location near the top of Cleary Summit affords nearly perfect unobstructed north views. From everything we researched prior to our arrival, this was one of the premier spots in the world for viewing the northern lights. We had planned our entire trip (9 nights) around the 3 nights here hoping to see the Aurora, but unfortunately the lights did not cooperate on any of the nights we were in Alaska. Otherwise,everything was exactly as advertised. Room was very clean & comfortable. Heated toilet seat & bidet was very nice touch. Kitchen was fully equipped & even had a few staple items in the cupboards. Wife enjoyed the company of Sitka, the owners black Lab that joined us for dinner one evening. We didn't spend any time down in the lodge, so can't really advise on that. Mok was very helpful with directions etc to get us there, as well as a mini photography lesson when we arrived. The only thing I would prefer different would be TV in the rooms, the afternoon/evenings prior to dark can get pretty long & boring. I understand that they are trying to keep light pollution down as to not interfere with aurora viewing, but considering that pretty much the only reason anyone would stay here would be for the chance to view the aurora, I can't imagine that 99.9% of people would not cooperate with a no TV after dark rule. When we departed, I forgot my camera charger in a nightstand drawer. I called Mok a couple hours later & again he was very helpful & mailed it home to me. If we get the opportunity, we would definately return here & absolutely recommend it.

5 Thank Terry D

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
dallas
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This property is as promoted. A comfortable place for viewing the auroras inside or out--it gets chilly watching the 45 minute light shows! Mok is a great host-very helpful and great communication by email/voicemail. The walkie talkie system is what elevates this lodge from other ways of trying to view the auroras on your own. Mok is on top of it--once we were outside stargazing and saw the lights appearing...seconds later we heard Mok announcing "it is happening". We were in the nicely appointed chalet which was perfect for us. Had our own tower lookout just steps from the chalet. The star gazing alone is worth going to see owing to the great position of this lodge on Cleary Summit. Lots going on in outer space that we got to benefit from! I did my research as to when a good time would be to see the lights and it worked out for us. Out of 4 nights, we saw 3 nights of lights. Even the full moon did not totally spoil the viewing! In town, we thought the visitor center offered a nice array of exhibits and information. Nice setting on the river. We loved the museum on campus called the Museum of the North--spent 3 hours there and could have stayed all day. Superb exhibits, art gallery and beautiful building. Disappointed with Chena Hot Springs. Ick. Drove to Denali National Park and had it all to ourselves--fabulous. We enjoyed walking the cross country ski trail at the Birch Recreation Area just off Steese on way to lodge--had it all to ourselves and the carpet of fallen leaves with the very white bark of birch trees was beautiful. Highly recommend for convenience and comfort if you are going to Fairbanks for aurora viewing.

Room Tip: chalet is across road from main lodge
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank boxerfan
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Our main reason for visiting Alaska (mid-September 2013) was to see the northern lights. We planned to do a "self-guided" tour at the Aurora Borealis Lodge. I'd been in touch with Mok for several months prior to our visit. He was very helpful in providing detailed driving directions and always available to answer any questions. On the day we were scheduled to visit the lodge, the clouds decided to cover the sky. We drove to the lodge anyway hoping the skies would clear. Mok greeted us as we arrived and even though it was obvious we would not be able to see any lights that evening, he invited us inside so we could see the lodge. The set up is very nice. A kind of "log cabin feel" with a sitting area facing the large windows, for northern light viewing. There is also a deck for outside viewing as well. We hope to return to visit Mok and his lodge one day but as far as going to see the lights, it's hit or miss.

2 Thank Yvonnes_Travel_Tips
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed in a first level room - maybe the second level has a little better view but we didn't have to drag our suitcases upstairs. We tried to stay awake to see the lights but it was so easy to fall asleep on the couch or in the bed know that Mok would call to alert us if there were any lights. No calls for 3 nights - ouch! The room was very comfortable. We only bought food for breakfast and snacks because we were on the go the rest of the time. The kitchen is fully equipped but the refrigerator is small. I agree with the comment about the beautiful scenery - fall colors and the snowy mountains of Denali made for a great trip. We took in the Cheena Hot Springs and spent some time at the Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitors Center in Fairbanks.

Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Lodge was great. We stayed 5 nights (late September) to give ourselves a reasonable chance of seeing the lights. It was completely overcast every night and we hardly even saw a star! Plan as much as you like, but don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Steven R
Gahanna, OH
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I did not stay at the lodge / cabins, I only visited for an evening on the Aurora Evening Tour.

One of the owners, Logan, picked us up promptly at our hotel in Fairbanks and we sped off to the Lodge, about 20 miles outside of Fairbanks. Logan was quite the host and gave us history of the company and the area. Upon arrival, we were greeted inside a beautiful wood cabin lodge by the other owner Mok, and his lovely wife. There were about 50 of us there. About 40 were from an international tour group and 10 of us who just booked individually. Mok gave us the rundown of the evening - in Japanese and English, and just as he was finished, the Auroras made their grand entrance.

You can stay inside all evening if you'd like. Lots of comfy seating and the North wall of the lodge is all windows. I chose to go outside on the huge deck. Mok helped all of us with our camera settings, talked about how he came to the area and gave us photography tips all night. He even took pictures of the auroras, and visitors in front of them too. Aurora viewing was spectacular. You're out in the middle of nowhere so there's no interfering light pollution. It was so fun to chat with the other visitors.

It was nice to be able to go indoors to use the restrooms and warm up a bit. There was apparently cookies and drinks available, but I didn't partake. At the end of the evening, we all huddled around the huge TV to view the pics that Mok took. Pics were available for purchase - either as a printout to be mailed later, or as a digital package. I did order a few prints and they arrived in perfect condition very soon after my trip.

I've decided I want Mok and Logan's job - so guys if you read this and need another employee, message me!!! They were WONDERFUL hosts, with a wealth of knowledge, great personalities and they both provided excellent customer service from beginning to end. And the auroras? Simply amazing.

This is truly one of the best things I've ever done in my life and would recommend. Book early!

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TravelTwin777
Redlands, California
Reviewed 20 September 2013

This trip took very careful planning - I always wanted to see the Northern Lights but not cold weather and snow. I also wanted to see Denali N.P and fall color too, combined with Alaska Cruise...Well, all the work paid off and we enjoyed them all!
It is a very nice house - clean, updated look, well equipped kitchen and the best of all, the view from those 2 huge windows are beautiful! They provide Coffee, seasonings, tea bags, cooking oil, soy sauce, Tabasco etc...
You will love the Japanese heated toilet seat with warm water washer. Dehumidifier will keep the windows fog-free at night.
The town is around 20 min. away - we bought groceries at Safe Way few blocks from Airport and cooked most of the time. Refrigerator is dormitory size. No TV but WiFi connection is good - cell phone is patchy (verizon and ATT). Mok will inform you if there is Northern Light out through Wakie-Talkie so you can sleep until then. We stayed in downstairs east room - there is nothing obstructing my view and sunrise was spectacular!
Pretty much all the attraction will be closed starting mid-September- then there is not much to do here during the day. The fall color was beautiful all around, saw wild animals, we collected our own wild blueberries for breakfast, museums in FB, pretty drive to Chena Hot Spring, and see Northern Lights every night....Oh... what else can I ask for???
There is no daily cleaning service which I appreciated - they respect our privacy yet they are very responsive to out needs and wants.
We left very early to return our rental car to the airport before catching a train to Anchorage. I am glad that I asked Mok about the situation - he gave us telephone #'s of taxi companies just in case there are none waiting - and it was not. We had to call and wait about 5 min.

It was a perfect place at the perfect time - and I could not ask for more!

Room Tip: All room is excellent. I am sure it all depends on people but some noise from upstairs did not both...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family