“Finally!!!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fairbanks
Aurora Borealis Lodge
New York City, New York
“Finally!!!!!”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

What else can I say?!!! We finally got the opportunity to visit The Lodge and it was a beautiful experience. The location is just perfect.... Mok and His family are super kind and sweet. We saw the Auroras one night and I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank Natalia B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Arizona
Reviewed 25 March 2014

With three prior stays at this lodge, I knew this was where I wanted to be for my fourth trip to Fairbanks March 2014. The lodge is located on Cleary Summit 20 miles north of Fairbanks and offers a gorgeous panoramic daytime view of rolling hills and the White Mountains, and it is a pleasure to watch the light and shadows shift due to time of day or the clouds overhead.

This is also a wonderful spot to watch the sunrise, twilight skies and the moon rise and set, in addition to the sparkling stars shifting throughout the night.

Of course the main reason people come here is to see the northern lights, and I saw the exquisite Aurora Borealis most nights during my visit. This is a premiere location for Aurora viewing, and when the lights are out you can see them from in or near your room.

During the day I enjoyed sleeping in and relaxing, then driving into Fairbanks for different activities before heading up the hill again for another night of skywatching.

A list of helpful tips reminds guests to be aware of noise levels given the unusual schedule visitors are keeping, and I relished the quiet times at the lodge. Also, I am very happy they do *not* have televisions at this location, which makes the surroundings much more restful and unique.

The accommodations were the same as I anticipated--a kitchen with everything supplied but the food, a comfortable couch in front of the large northern windows, a very efficient heater, two very comfortable queen-sized beds, a bathroom with a heated commode/bidet, and a shower with plenty of hot water and good water pressure--everything you need to make this your home away from home. In addition, each room has a radio whereby the owners notify guests when the Aurora is visible, and guests may also alert each other when the northern lights are out.

Resident dog Sitka is great with visitors (both adults and children) and is usually on hand to welcome you when you pull up to the lodge.

As always, Mok and Akiko Kumagai along with their family and co-owner Logan Ricketts are most welcoming, and it was wonderful to see and talk with them again when I stopped by the main lodge and joined the evening tour groups for hot chocolate while waiting for the lights.

Once again it was very hard to leave, but I count myself most fortunate to have been able to stay here again. To my wonderful hosts--I wish you all the best, and thank you for everything.

Room Tip: My favorite room is the upstairs eastern room (Room #1), however I have also stayed in the downstair...
Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank cjs123
Warrensburg, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I wanted to stay at this lodge soooo much.... but... it books out up to 18-24 months in advance... and with excellent reason!!! From the lodge rooms you have a private deck facing north for the best possible views! The owner will call you if the lights begin their beautiful dance so you won't miss it. However.... if you are not fortunate enough to be able to stay at this lodge... then take a self drive up to view the lights. Mok (owner/operator) could not be more hospitable!!! He opens the viewing lodge at 10:30PM til 2:00AM for persons who make a reservation. Or, he will arrange to pick you up and drop you off at your Fairbanks hotel. While sipping Hot Cocoa or Coffee and munching on cookies... you sit in a heated cabin with huge windows facing the north and west while lounging on perfectly placed sofas. I don't think it gets better than this!!! If you like... you can step out onto the huge deck just below the viewing windows for the best of photo opportunities... Bring your own camera or let Mok take a few shots of you with the lights dancing overhead. If..... I ever have the opportunity to visit Fairbanks again..... I will call wayyyyy in advance to attempt to stay at this lodge!!!!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms!!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jennifer B
Torrance, California
Reviewed 14 March 2014

I've read just about every review on this website (Yelp, too) and I think it's a testament to Mok & Logan to receive so many consistent reviews. They are definitely doing something right. True to form, they exceeded our expectations during our stay this week.

The room we were in was fantastic, as I'm sure they all are. We stayed in #3 and loved the views to the North & East. We ended up seeing the Auroras 2 out of the four nights we stayed here. The activity level on the second night we saw them was incredible. I think we viewed them from 11:30 PM to 2 AM. That experience surpassed our wildest expectations!

My wife & I were celebrating our 20th year wedding anniversary and seeing the Northern Lights was on both of our bucket lists. I'm happy to say that this trip did not disappoint. Again, Mok was a tremendous & courteous guest. He treated us like we were his very first customer, and I'm sure he does this with all of his guests.

We definitely would recommend this place to anyone, and we look forward to making another trip here in the future.

Room Tip: We didn't see any other room except ours (#3), but we enjoyed our room a lot.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Rich M
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We didn't stay here but came up for the Northern Lights viewing in the lodge - what a great deal!. We had our own car so it was just $25 per person for the visit. Hot beverages, comfy couches and great company while we waited for the lights to appear. The lodge had a great outdoor porch for viewing - it was spectacular. Highly recommended for anyone staying in or near Fairbanks that wants a great viewing location.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kellyem
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Our stay at the lodge was super! The accommodations are very comfortable and the view out the north facing window is great. Even the daytime view is beautiful. The owners are extremely nice and helpful. Seeing the lights was easy and Mok does a wonderful job of making your stay memorial.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Docman5
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We had a wonderful stay in January where we were lucky to see the lights on both nights of our stay.
Mok and his family have created not only the perfect viewing area to see the lights but rooms that are very comfortable with everything you could need. During the day there were snowshoes and sleds for our use and we had the wonderful company of Sitka during our mini treks through the surrounding hills.
Mok went out of his way to help us -first with our booking and answers to my emails; to arranging our transport to the lodge (the driver was very good and nice to chat with on our drive to the lodge) and personally driving us to the airport in the early hours on our departure.
We wish Mok all the success that he and his family deserve and hope that we make it back one day.
Ps - the location is superb- it is above the clouds that cover Fairbanks . The second day of our visit it was snowing and overcast at 3pm -by 8pm the sky was clear and the aurora appeared and continued all night till leaving at 6am. So don't lose hope

Room Tip: We had the lower floor which was perfect- it was more convenient for quick escapes to photograph the...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple