“Spacious, clean, and unique rooms”

Alaska Heritage House
Ranked #1 of 40 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
Charleston, SC
“Spacious, clean, and unique rooms”
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I would HIGHLY recommend the Alaska Heritage House. We stayed for the month of August and enjoyed every minute. Delicious and different breakfasts daily and friendly and helpful owners and staff made this stay quite memorable!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Virginia S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 16 January 2011

I stayed in the above B&B for 1 night during Dec'10 and I can rate my stay as at most moderate. It's a nice antique house located very near to downtown Fairbanks. One can spend hours inside the house looking at the furniture, antiques, etc and it also has a nice living room. Plus, the place is conviniently located and easily accessible.

However, I felt that the maintenance of the place is not up to the mark. My room (bathroom) was dirty when I checked in and I had to mention to the inn keeper. The owner/s don't live in the house and it's up to the inn keeper on how the place is maintained. One thing that bothered me was that the person looking after the place called me a couple of times saying that she will be away during some hours of the afternoon and I can't check in during that time as there won't be anyone in the house. I feel that alternate arrangements should be made in case the inn keeper is not present at the house and there shouldn't be any constraint on the guest for the same. Another issue that left me in bad taste, was the difference in price quoted over phone for one night's rent and what I paid at the end for the room rent was different (based on what I remember and I am pretty sure that I haven't mistaken). The difference was not significant and I didn't want to create much fuss on that but this was not what I hoped for. Overall, I feel that this place is way over priced for the service one receives.

To sum up, I do like the house with it's history and I am glad that I stayed 1 night but the standard of service is poor compared to other B&B's I have stayed at Fairbanks. Sorry, can't give a higher rating than 3 (maybe 2.5 would have been ideal for my experience, though I just rated a bit more on the positive side).

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank PrasunChoudhury
Virginia N, Owner at Alaska Heritage House, responded to this review, 21 October 2011
The owners, Bill Albee and Van Newstrom moved to Fairbanks in May 2011 and our efforts to personally manage, clean and maintain our wonderful historic B&B are reflected in the more recent comments. The 3 suites were all redecorated this summer. Van is a gormet cook and we serve a varied menu reflective of our world travels.