“Wonderful!”

Alaska Heritage House
Ranked #2 of 40 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 August 2012

This is the perfect place to not only recover from a very long flight to Fairbanks but also to base activities in Fairbanks. History brims over here along with excellent breakfasts. I was so impressed by the story of Mary Lee Davis who owned the house for a time, that I've begun reading her book about Alaska (1930). The Owners were very helpful with all the usual tourist questions plus some insights into current Alaska affairs. I loved every minute here and hope to make a return trip some day.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank mac2310

Reviewed 7 July 2012

I stayed at this B & B for almost one month. I am not a frequent guest of B&B's and had concerns about staying in a B and B for so long,.I visit Fairbanks often and know my way around but the owners put me in touch with events and opportunities that were new to me. The owners are true gems. They bend over backwards to make your stay special. I cannot say enough about how much i enjoyed everything about the house. We sat on the porch nights and chatted and laughed. We were treated to gourmet breakfasts each morning including fresh fruits to start and a wide array of juices. Sourdough waffles, crab cakes, omelettes to order etc. The rooms were spectacular, in period furnishings and meticulous. If that were not enough - we were treated to a brief history of the house and how it came to be. Fascinating, cozy, warm, clean, with all amenities you could possibly ask for. You'd be crazy to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms (2) share a bath but you avoid the flight of stairs. Suites have kitchens in the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank DrKit_1
Reviewed 9 May 2012

My husband and I were stationed at Ft. Wainwright and stayed here for about three months while we were waiting to PCS to our next duty station. We had a great experience! We stayed in the Mary Lee Davis suite, which had everything we needed. Van and Bill were super nice and went out of their way to make sure we had a good stay. I would recommend this place to anyone who needs a place to stay for the night, or a long term stay. If I ever make it back to Fairbanks, I'll be sure to make my reservations at the Alaska Heritage House!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I stayed here with my husband for about a month while we were waiting for on-post housing and I absolutely loved it. Our room was nice and cozy, it had everything we needed; the owners were very accommodating, and most importantly the breakfast was amazing every single morning. This bed and breakfast is definitely the place to stay when visiting Fairbanks for a long time or even if you're staying for a short visit. The owners know a lot about what's going on in Fairbanks and where to go for things to do. My parents are coming up to visit and I recommended they stay here a few nights just to get the awesome experience of the B&B. Absolutely check this place out!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Claire R
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I,ve stayed at the heritage house many times and always look forward to my next visit. An easy walk to all of downtown.
If yould prefer to bike, they have plenty, just ask. Amazing breakfasts and spotless rooms.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 14 January 2012

January 2012

Given the 30 days that I am living at Alaska Heritage House, one would be hard pressed to find a happier resident than I am. My job brought me to Fairbanks and after living in a competitor’s B&B facility for 90 days, in retrospect, I regret that I didn’t move into the Alaska Heritage House much sooner. Although it is now winter, I did see this historic, well-preserved Inn during the summer and it is magnificently maintained, both inside and out.

Van and Bill, the proprietors are wonderful hosts. They go out of their way to accommodate their guests’ needs. None of my requests ever went unaddressed or were deemed to be unreasonable.

Each guest room and sleeping quarter has its own eclectic array of early 1900’s furnishings. I reside in the attached, albeit converted stable, now called the Garden Room. In the winter, calling it the Garden Room requires somewhat of a mental stretch; however, I can see the green house from my door. To give it its due, the room does come equipped with several good gardening books. I’ve lived here long enough to read all of them.

Despite the outside chronically frigid, winter temperatures, my room is warm and quiet, has a very comfortable over-size queen bed, 3 over-size pillows, is moderately spacious, is well-maintained, has ample space for hanging clothing, has 4 linear feet of shelving for my heavy nursing and medical books, 6 linear feet of shelving for my electronic equipment and a nominal, 3 cubic foot refrigerator that works well. The floor is cement and brick with heating pipes buried beneath. The floor is more than warm enough so that I don’t need slippers in the winter. The room has its own thermostat plus there is a supplemental electrical room heater that looks like a pseudo-fireplace.

Although my work schedule does not allow me to eat a served breakfast at the Inn, the huge kitchen refrigerator is well packed with a large variety of nutritious foods. The kitchen is open for the guests to use around the clock. There is an abundance of clean cooking equipment, spices, silverware and dishes. The adjacent dining room table is large and provides a comfortable meeting place for the guests.

Most of the furnishings preserve the period flavor in which the house was built. Although you cannot help but notice a large St. Louis Majestic wood burning stove in the kitchen, it was converted to operate with gas and electrical components, making it fully modern and functional. The wooden kitchen refrigerator also presents as a period fixture. It now has a modern refrigerant, allowing it keep large quantities of food very cold. Through two glass doors, the refrigerated content is fully visible to the outside. There is something about the way that the kitchen is decorated that I find very inviting. The ceiling is high and there are cabinets around 3 of the 4 walls that can only be reached by a ladder that moves along a railing. I have no idea what is kept up there, but the visual affect none-the-less appeals to me. They have a great browning microwave oven and a toaster.

In the lower level where several of the guest rooms are located, a vintage coal burning boiler is preserved. It is now retired and its function is replaced by a mammoth oil-fired burner that keeps the building toasty warm in the winter.

Fresh and meticulously folded bed linens are ironed on an old Bendix ironing machine, the kind that my mother used in the mid-1950’s; and back then, it was considered an antique. There is a very convenient, large capacity washing machine and dryer in the basement. Despite the owner’s penchant for preserving the furnishings from an earlier period, when I refer to the washing machine, I’m NOT using a euphemism to describe a scrub board that is taken along with the linens to the nearby Chena River as part of a daily washing routine.

The current maintenance staff, Archie and Janette who attend to the daily chores and keep the mechanisms running are wonderful people who are more than happy to help ensure that guest needs are attended to and their stay at the Inn is peasant and enjoyable.

The newest addition is Mabel, a long haired dachshund. She is adorable and loves to be handled.

Although I am off to other work assignments now, I cannot wait to return to this Inn. Although I have lived many places in the world, this residence comes as close as anything that I ever experienced that feels so much like home to me.

BG RN (Connecticut)

Room Tip: I only lived in the Garden Room; however, all rooms appear to be good. All bathtubs are deep and req...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed at the Alaska Heritage House in October, 2011, on our belated honeymoon. It was super-comfy, with delicious gourmet breakfasts (gluten-free no less, to accommodate my wheat intolerance), and tastefully decorated with vintage Alaska artifacts. The bathroom with two-person clawfoot tub even was stocked with their own homemade soap! Vann & Bill went above and beyond the call of duty to give us a comprehensive historical orientation plus great tips for exploring the Fairbanks area and beyond. For a real romantic stay, try the Georgia Lee room.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple