“Better than Home away from Home”

Alaska Heritage House
Ranked #2 of 41 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 March 2013

The Alaska Heritage House is a wonderful experience in Fairbanks. Rooms are early 20th century decor updated for comfort and convenience and are immaculately clean. Van Newstrom creates unique, delicious and generous breakfasts as well as baked treats for guests on a daily basis and she and Bill Albee welcome you into their Inn and are there to help you make the most of your time in the Alaskan interior. We stayed there at the darkest, coldest time of winter and were warmed by their attention and hospitality. They answered our questions and consulted on our plans and arranged for mushing, for Aurora watching, and for snow machining with their private guides. They encouraged us to participate in the arts, music, and cultural offerings of Fairbanks and kept us advised of other community activities. We enjoyed our privacy and were welcomed to join in with other guests and friends as we chose. Staying any where else in greater Fairbanks is a lesser experience and we met guests who had returned to the AHH over and over again. Van is great on the phone or by e-mail in answering questions. The only problem with the AHH is their 8 units get filled quickly, so I recommend you call or email early, so you can to secure a room or suite. PS Mabel, the diva dachshund, is a delight and will welcome you personally! Hug her for me when you get there, please. I wholly recommend this wonderful place!

Room Tip: Each room is unique and very special in its own way. Which ever room or suite is available is great!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 March 2013

I sometimes hesitate to stay in a bed and breakfast because you never know what you are going to get. I've been to B&Bs where I was completely ignored and others where I felt I couldn't escape attention (even when I wanted to). Van and Bill have figured out the right combination of welcoming and respect for privacy. This is a great spot for visting Fairbanks attractions. It's an easy walk to "downtown" where we were lucky enough to watch the national dogsled race that starts and ends on 2nd street. Though we missed the opportunity, two other guests went to a ranch about 25 miles outside Fairbanks one night and came back with stunning pictures of the northern lights (really wish I had gone with them). And talk about coming through for you. Our taxi did not arrive as schedule, so Bill loaded us into the car and made sure we made our flight on time. I will definitely be returning to this B&B.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2013

My stay at this Grand home was and may always be my favorite Bed and Breakfast (in fairness it is so much more). My first night I was greeted with home made stew and a group playing board games that I thought they were friends & family but found out most of them were just so happy to be in a truly happy Home. If I include even 1% of every part of the Home or the 2 great ladies Watching over it I will need to write a never ending list.
My Room had a mix up but I was up graded with no extra fee and I was lucky enough to get a suit with heated floors next to this awesome boiler that was decorative but perfectly restored.

The website leaves out so much of what makes the Home literally perfect.

Room Tip: The Suit was beautiful and any room that is open is worth every penny.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I can say without a doubt that this B&B was the most comfortable and pleasant stay I've ever experienced. Van and Bill were available, yet not unduly fussy. The breakfasts were unique and really tasty. In fact, one morning we enjoyed some of the "catch" of other guests. Our last day, Van made some Spain-inspired hot chocolate that almost made me cancel my flight so I could stay and have more. And, the room was wonderful; true to the period of the home, yet with all the amenities you would expect from a top-notch B&B.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I stayed two nights in Billie's guest house.
For more than ten years, I stayed a number of guest houses all over the world,
and I would say, this is one of the best.

I love Billie's welcoming and coffee,
and its surroundings are beautiful,
and I could make it to see the northern lights!!!

Thanks Billie for all.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I has a wonderful stay at the Alaska Heritage House B&B, and very much enjoyed the super friendly host, yummy breakfasts, and the charm of this warm, delightful house (filled with antiques). Everything was very clean, comfortable, and cozy. The house is very quiet at night, and offers a lot of privacy for the guests as well. I especially enjoyed learning about the home's (and all of the owners') fascinating history (it's on the National Register). Excellent location next to the downtown area too. Lots of nice, detailed touches are provided -- and I appreciated the ability to use the kitchen as well. Thank you for offering such a great lodging place in Fairbanks!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank G C
Reviewed 1 February 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Alaska Heritage House for an extended visit while visiting my son during the second half of 2012. The antique bed, wing chairs, and other furniture pieces in the room created a comfortable and functional place for me to use. My hosts did their utmost to help me plan any outings I was interested in from local cultural events to wild berry picking. They were also thoughtful about catering to the specific dietary needs of guests and served many of my favorite breakfasts, upon request, including their famous sourdough pancakes and reindeer sausage, salmon cakes, and cinnamon-raisin french toast. There was also always a freshly baked cake and fresh fruit in the dining room for guest snacking. My room was meticulously cleaned, and there was always an ample stack of fresh towels for the week. It is also a place that draws nice people to it. I met a number of interesting people -- some of whom have become personal friends. There is a lovely wicker-filled porch at the front of the house, and a small stone patio with table and chairs in the back. If you are visiting in the summer, you might enjoy using the bicycles. The bus stop across the street takes you just about anywhere you want to go to shop or to the University, and there are a number of very good downtown restaurants, coffee shops, art galleries, and theatre within walking distance. A very pleasant place, and consistently excellent over the months I stayed here. I loved their adorable dog Mabel who greeted everyone each morning!

Room Tip: I loved the Blanche Cascaden room, but all of the rooms have their own unique style and are named af...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family