“History + comfort + wonderful service!”

Alaska Heritage House
Ranked #2 of 41 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The house is huge and amazing. Virginia was a wonderful hostess who made delicious breakfasts and shared wonderful historical stories about the home and the city. Every room is full of antiques, art, and historical photos. I read the magpie2013 review and thought that she should have stayed at a Super8. But if you want to immerse yourself in the history of Fairbanks, this is where you want to be.

I'd love to stay here again in the future (and try all the different rooms/suites).

Room Tip: It was in the 90s when I was here, but my room in the basement was cool and comfortable :)
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 May 2013

Fabulous!!! This B & B is a real find in downtown Fairbanks. Built in 1916, this is a gem of a Victorian home with claw foot bathtubs, antique furniture, leaded glass windows, and complete with all the modern conveniences. Van, our terrific hostess, served us gourmet breakfasts on lace place mats, with fancy plates and silverware. She also baked a scrumptious cake for the evenings. If you have questions about local attractions, Van has brochures and the answers.

Room Tip: All bedroom and bath suites are comfortable, tasteful and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I came to Alaska for a contract position not knowing a soul, but the owners Van and Bill (and the ever present mascot, Mabel the dog) were able to make me feel absolutely welcomed and at home with their warmth and friendliness. It truly felt like my home away from home for my 4-month stay in the dead of winter. Additionally, the rooms themselves are cozy and inviting, not to mention immaculately cleaned/maintained. I had the pleasure of staying in almost every room at the Heritage House and they all have their own individual and unique charms, as would be expected from a historical home appointed with beautiful, period specific, antique furnishings. The home is part of an interesting and colorful Alaskan history that should not be missed; you will feel transported back to another time and era. What also should not be missed, are Van’s wonderful coffee, pastries, and breakfasts! I ate like a queen during my stay and am STILL missing her eggs Benedict over croissant roll, homemade rhubarb jelly, and her absolutely delicious sourdough pancakes (a trip to Alaska is not complete without trying these!). I would recommend anyone I know to stay here and hope to return very soon myself to see a beautiful Fairbanks summer, which I have heard so much about.

Room Tip: my personal favorite room is the blanche cascaden suite
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We spent 2 nights at Heritage House summer of 2012. We had read all those great reviews and thought we could not go wrong booking a couple of nights here. Boy where we wrong. Now it was not all bad. The host was very nice and the breakfast each morning was good. But there were some things that really turned us off from ever going back to this Bed and Breakfast.

The parking. They do provide a couple of off street parking spaces but if those are taken then its first come first serve to on street parking. When we arrived this was all that was left. The spot we found was not as close to the B&B as we would have liked making it that much harder to get our bags to our room when we were already very tired from a long day of traveling. I would think that this would be a really problem in the winter as I understand one must plug in your cars during this time of year.

Another was the VERY narrow stairs going up from the main floor to the second floor. First one must take your bags into the back of the house where the kitchen is as there are no stairs by the front door. Then one must some how manage to get yourselves and your bags up this very narrow staircase that can not be more than twenty four inches wide and very steep.

The last problem was the lack of ventilation in the upstairs rooms. When we were there it was very hot and we both had a very hard time getting to sleep and staying asleep. There seems to be very little ventilation for this part of the house and it felt like being inside of a tin can on a hot southern summer day.

This is not a Bed and Breakfast we would go back to or advise friends to stay at.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank magpie2013
Virginia N, Owner at Alaska Heritage House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2013

We were very disappointed to receive this review on several levels. Primarily because the guest did not feel comfortable enough to bring their concerns to us so we could take immediate steps to improve their Alaska Heritage House experience - especially with respect to cleanliness and ventilation. It has been almost 11 months since their stay and in the interim we would have liked to correct out deficiencies so other guests could have a more positive experience.

Between guests our bathrooms are steam cleaned and sprayed with germicide (including toilet flush levers, doorknobs, and light switches), all bedding is washed with Clorox or Oxyclean (this includes bed spreads, blankets, mattress pads, and pillow liners; sheets and pillow cases are starched and ironed after washing). Additionally all pillows and mattresses are steam cleaned. In addition to the floors and furniture, all window screens, lamps and shades, are either dusted or vacuumed. Every room has multiple windows that opened and working fans are in each room.

It is true our bed and breakfast does not have access to the second floor from the front of the house; however our building and its floors are just short of 100 years old. Back then guests would never have been invited up to the private family living quarters, hence the stairs are located at the back of the house. Because we are on the National Register of Historic Homes we cannot install access the second floor from the front of the house without seriously compromising the safety and architectural integrity of both the exterior and interior of the Alaska Heritage House. The stairs leading to the second floor have a landing after eight steps and are 32" wide. We are located in a neighborhood just 3-4 blocks from downtown and 25 yards from a public bus stop. There are four off-street and four on-street parking places (one space for each room). The on-street parking is between 10 and 15 yards from either the front or back entrance. During the winter months guests must plug-in their cars when temperatures are below -10F. To meet this challenge we have 12 outdoor electrical outlets and over 500 feet of readily available extension cords. If necessary and at no charge we will recharge car batteries, provide battery jumps, and change flat tires (which tend to freeze with a flat side in winter).

Hopefully, the reviewer's next visit to Fairbanks will be positive enough to leave a lifetime of sweet memories.

Reviewed 31 March 2013

We stayed three different places in Fairbanks. It's undoubtedly that here is the best! Every furniture is beautiful and comfortable. Van is a gracefull lady and makes everyone feels at home. The breakfast she cooked is also delicious. Choose Alaska Heritage House will never wrong.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank xZhang_18
Reviewed 29 March 2013

The Alaska Heritage House is a wonderful experience in Fairbanks. Rooms are early 20th century decor updated for comfort and convenience and are immaculately clean. Van Newstrom creates unique, delicious and generous breakfasts as well as baked treats for guests on a daily basis and she and Bill Albee welcome you into their Inn and are there to help you make the most of your time in the Alaskan interior. We stayed there at the darkest, coldest time of winter and were warmed by their attention and hospitality. They answered our questions and consulted on our plans and arranged for mushing, for Aurora watching, and for snow machining with their private guides. They encouraged us to participate in the arts, music, and cultural offerings of Fairbanks and kept us advised of other community activities. We enjoyed our privacy and were welcomed to join in with other guests and friends as we chose. Staying any where else in greater Fairbanks is a lesser experience and we met guests who had returned to the AHH over and over again. Van is great on the phone or by e-mail in answering questions. The only problem with the AHH is their 8 units get filled quickly, so I recommend you call or email early, so you can to secure a room or suite. PS Mabel, the diva dachshund, is a delight and will welcome you personally! Hug her for me when you get there, please. I wholly recommend this wonderful place!

Room Tip: Each room is unique and very special in its own way. Which ever room or suite is available is great!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I sometimes hesitate to stay in a bed and breakfast because you never know what you are going to get. I've been to B&Bs where I was completely ignored and others where I felt I couldn't escape attention (even when I wanted to). Van and Bill have figured out the right combination of welcoming and respect for privacy. This is a great spot for visting Fairbanks attractions. It's an easy walk to "downtown" where we were lucky enough to watch the national dogsled race that starts and ends on 2nd street. Though we missed the opportunity, two other guests went to a ranch about 25 miles outside Fairbanks one night and came back with stunning pictures of the northern lights (really wish I had gone with them). And talk about coming through for you. Our taxi did not arrive as schedule, so Bill loaded us into the car and made sure we made our flight on time. I will definitely be returning to this B&B.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple