“A wonderful experience - fantastic place to stay”

Alaska Heritage House
Ranked #1 of 41 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
Beavercreek, Ohio
“A wonderful experience - fantastic place to stay”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

If you like history and a warm inviting place to stay then the Alaska Heritage House (bed and breakfast) is for you. Every room is different - each is decorated with historical pictures and wonderful period pieces - wonderful loving details. The beds are comfortable and the sheets are ironed! Breakfast is different and unusual each day - shrimp on toast points with Welsh rarebit sauce or Eggs with Prosciutto and wonderful potatoes - delicious and delightful. It is impossible to believe that anyone would not feel warm, welcomed, and well taken care of by the proprietors of this establishment. And to top it off Mabel the beautiful long haired dachshund makes you feel special as she greets you in the morning. Ask anything about the area or Alaska or the history of this home and you will be pleasantly surprised at the information you receive. No reason to stay at a hotel when this B&B is available. I highly recommend staying here and soaking in Alaskan hospitality!!

Room Tip: All the rooms - even the basement were carefully and lovingly decorated with period pieces. Warm and...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oakdale MN.
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here on July 1st, We came a day early due to flight. On July 2nd we were starting a 2 week Alaska tour. Early on the morning of the 2nd I got up to use the restroom. Well the roof had leaked all night and I slipped and sprained my knee.. The hosts were not concerned much. The husband apologized but the wife never even said she was sorry. I spent 4 hrs in Er. They would not even comp the full price of the room. The breakfast was a request from me for stuffed french toast. What we got was two cold pieces of raisin french toast with a slice of cheese in it. The ham was tough and cold also. Not what I know stuffed french toast to be like. All in All just felt so bad about the treatment of my injury.

2 Thank bargainmama
Virginia N, Owner at Alaska Heritage House, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Both my husband and I very much regret the most unfortunate accident the reviewer had at the Alaska Heritage House. We had no way of knowing the roof would leek under the stress of a record breaking rain storm (3.5" in less than 8 hours in an area that averages less than 10" of precipitation per year) since the roof is less than 10 years old and in the five years we have owned the property we have never had any issues with the roof or flooding of any kind.

As soon as the reviewer, who had a pre-existing mobility problem, made our housekeeper aware that she had slipped and almost fallen the following actions were taken:

1. The housekeeper quickly informed both my husband and me and then cleaned up the water;
2. The reviewer was asked if she needed medical attention and offered over the counter medication. All were refused;
3. My husband entered the attic and crawled on the wet metal roof to identify and fix the leek;
4. An hour or so after breakfast the reviewer's husband indicated his wife wanted medical attention;
5. I recommended my husband immediately take them to the emergency room but they thought the local urgent care facility would be a better choice;
6. My husband then drove them to the urgent care facility, which, as it turned out, did not take their insurance. The urgent care folks recommended a clinic. Again I recommended going to the ER since the clinic didn't take walk-ins;
6. At the reviewer's request they were driven to the clinic where they were directed to the ER since they did not take walk-ins;
7. The reviewer was then driven to the ER and my husband then directed the couple to call him when they were ready to leave the ER;
8. After finishing at the ER the reviewer, her husband and luggage were driven to their next destination;
9. While unloading luggage the reviewer's husband approached my husband about a refund. My husband then asked the reviewer's spouse what he thought was fair and reasonable. The reviewer's spouse said 50%. My husband immediately refunded, in cash, over 50% of their two night bill.

The breakfast that was served consisted of a first course of fresh fruit. At the reviewer's request the second course was stuffed french toast. I using a recipe from Gourmet Magazine, I soaked fresh locally baked bread with raisins and wild Alaskan cranberries beaten eggs. Between two sliced of toast was melted brie cheese. This was served within a minute of coming off the grill. The accompaniments were Canadian bacon (not ham) and real maple syrup laced with Amaretto. At the reviewer's request I did heat the syrup and served it at a temperature just at the boiling point.

As a former lifeguard, certified Red Cross First Responder, former teacher and school principal I was trained to respond to emergencies calmly and with purposeful actions so as not to inflame the situation or unnecessarily involve or frighten by-standers. I do regret that my actions were interpreted as cold and uncaring; but given there were six other guests arriving at breakfast I responded to the reviewer in a way that I thought best. Our housekeeper did her best to report the accident and assist the reviewer. My husband did his best to spend the day make himself available to the reviewer and her husband as well as anticipate their every need.

Again, we both regret the reviewer's accident and hope she and her husband understand and accept that we all tried our best.
Wanaka, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We recently had a month long trip to Canada and Alaska. Our final part of our journey was 2 nights in Fairbanks and after saying in hotels throughout our trip we decided to stay in a B&B so researched what was available and decided to stay at the Alaska Heritage House. It was a wonderful house full of wonderful period furniture. The hosts were lovely and very helpful with places to eat and visit. We stayed in the Georgia Lee boudoir which was lovely. It is close proximity to the centre of the city as well as nice walks. We had a lovely breakfast and it was nice to sit outside on the veranda chatting to the other guests who were staying there. All in all a great place to say.

Evansville, Wisconsin
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My husband and I stayed one night and it wasn't enough! We stayed in the Bunker Suite. It was perfect for us. The house is a museum! Every piece had a story!
Our host greeted us upon arrival and shared the highlights of Fairbanks with us. we took her suggestions and enjoyed the next 2 days.
The breakfast was tasty: fresh fruit, juice, and sourdough waffles. mmmm....

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

The walk through upon arrival was exceptional. The place is like a functioning museum - all authentic and the history of this place is amazing. After day one though, the pleasant attitude of our hostess evaporated and even though we stayed there two days, the room wasn't touched once by our hosts. An overall 4 star for the history aspect (as a side, if you stay for a few days, for $50 per person, ask if the hostess can have Val take you on a day tour if the area, very worth it).

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank RknRon
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed one night in the garden room and what an absolutely wonderful place, we will be back for sure when in Alaska. The hospitality is great and the hosts are so knowledgable about the history of the house it was absolutely wonderful. The breakfast was lovely and the service was top notch. A wonderful time was had by us. Wonderful hosts.

Room Tip: The garden room was lovely and very private.
memphis, ny
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Things I like to know before booking a place to stay:
Parking: Free: 2 driveway spots available, first come/first serve, street parking.

Location: walking distance to downtown, pioneer park, restaurants, etc. I would feel comfortable staying here solo.

Food: Breakfast was superb! Upscale, but filling dishes. Usually always included eggs, meat (sausage etc), fresh fruits. Never was disappointed with the offerings. Quality ingredients used.

Room: We had an upstairs room- which meant narrow staircase (think B&B's in the UK), and slanted ceilings. Bed was comfortable (sleep number adjustable), bathroom was clean, fan and air conditioner in the room. Very comfortable stay.

Really enjoyed the entire decor and upkeep of the home. Also fully enjoyed the front porch and swing chair, where we enjoyed a lovely sun filled summers night.

The owner was extremely helpful with "things to do/where to eat" info and had wonderful stories to tell about the history of the home.

An extremely positive experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple