“Lovely Place!!”
Review of Mount Aurora Lodge

Mount Aurora Lodge
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is the idea place to view aurora! We saw the northern lights on 2 of our 3 nights stay.we can see the aurora just outside of the lodge, we even saw it from our room on one of the night. The room is very clear ( I am very very picky about cleanliness of bedroom, and it passes my standard). The host Lori is very friendly and knowledgeable about the area. She shared with us about the different activities we can do during we stay. She also helped us book the sled dog ride which was amazing. Highly recommend this wonderful place to anyone who visits fairbanks!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Mount Aurora Lodge

Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed at Mount Aurora lodge with 2 more friends for 2 nights (Feb 26th-27th). We arrived at midnight after a 18.5 hours journey and were given a warm welcome. The hosts, Lori and Jeff are lovely people. They certainly make a difference and make you feel like if you were home.
The rooms are very comfortable and the location is perfect if you are looking to experience the wonderful aurora (northern lights).
The breakfast is excellent and we were given different options each day.
The main reason for choosing this place was because of its location, as it is about a 45 min drive from the airport and about 25 min from the city. It is on a hill, far from city lights and cars, which makes it a great place if the weather allows you to see the aurora. We had the chance to see it each night we were there and believe me, you want to pick this place for this experience.

The view during the day time is very relaxing. The property has trails if you want to walk around and if you are spending the day at the lodge, they offer you lunch and dinner options, which is great considering there is nothing around. The lodge has a big living room and gives the chance to meet people and share the tips and nice experiences.

At night, we got notified when the aurora was given a spectacular show. Another great review about the place is that even weather conditions might change, and get colder, you do not need to get far to either see or photograph the aurora. and as necessary, you can go in and out depending on the gear you consider required.

As we were very tired during the first night, we went to bed around 3.30 am. However, we were able to continue viewing the aurora show from the room window, and consider this as priceless for seeing the aurora before closing your eyes.

The experience we had in Alaska was great, thanks to lady Aurora, Lori and Jeff!

Room Tip: As Auroras seem to love Lori's location, any room would be great, but if I can recommend one, ge...
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Don't let the photo make you think this place isn't worth visiting. Once I arrived here a few days ago and got inside, I was floored. I wish I had more time to spend here to enjoy. There is history in this place and the views outside are fantastic. Want to relax? Visit the main living room area and relax on one of the several couches in front of a nice warm wood stove. Very comfortable and the owners are very accommodating. I will definitely visit again when I return later in the year.

I shot this time-lapse video from here and felt quite safe doing it: http://youtu.be/tg_sllELP7M

Reviewed 8 February 2014

This is a wonderful place to stay in Fairbanks and enjoy viewing aurora. The rooms- very comfortable, hosts - very friendly and make you feel like home, aurora viewing - right from the backyard.

We stayed at the lodge for 4 nights in January and were more than satisfied with our experience here. The lodge is outside the city of Fairbanks, about 15mins drive, on top of Cleary summit. We drove from Vancouver and had no trouble with finding this place or driving to t. You get the theater seating for viewing the aurora right from the lodge, no driving at night searching for the spot or paying for it. Hosts, Laurie & Jeff, were very friendly and made sure that we felt like home. They have a lot to share about Alaska and helped us in finding various activities to do during our stay, we were able to do dog sledding and arctic tour. The rooms were clean, very warm with a variety of options from 3 full beds to 1 queen bed to suit the number of people in your party/preference.

Now for the main part of our trip, viewing the aurora. We were able to see the aurora on 3 of the 4 days we stayed at the lodge. Some spectacular displays. All we had to do was stand outside the lodge and look up. You could step in to grab a cup of coffee to warm yourself, very convenient.

We had great experiences on our trip and staying at this wonderful lodge was one of the highlights.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 February 2014

My experience is much the same as the reviews written before me. I had an absolutely wonderful last night in Alaska at the Mount Aurora Lodge. I'm left frustrated only because I didn't book more nights to fully enjoy this lovely little hideaway tucked away in the mountains. I would have loved to lounge more by the cozy wood stove or hike/run and explore the surrounding area.

The interior is rustic but warm, cozy and just brimming with historic charm. The building was originally used to house miners and if you look hard enough, you may find some of their names etched into the walls. Views from the bedrooms windows facing the front are stunning!

I had my best sleep in months here. I'm not sure if it was because of the comfortable bed with snug duvet or simply because the entire lodge radiates tranquility and relaxation.

The location of the lodge (far from city lights and high on a mountain) puts you in a good vantage point for seeing the aurora. Red lighting is used throughout the lodge during the evening and night hours to minimize white light distraction. The hosts are very friendly and helpful - offering to wake up guests should the aurora appear.

If renting a car opt for studded tires as the road up to the lodge can be icy. We toured Fairbanks with a regular economy car but some visitors may opt for a larger vehicle to tackle the icy roads.

If you invested in a trip to Alaska don't settle for a cookie cutter hotel or a B&B close to city lights. Get out of town and experience a piece of the real Alaska at Mount Aurora Lodge. Be sure to keep an eye out for wildlife!

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the front of the building - stunning view. Ensure you bring slippers; the wood...
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This is one of the best locations if you want to have a family type vacation, beautiful aurora and perfect hosts. Yes the owners are really awesome people who take care of you as you would be taken care of at an aunt's place. The aurora is right in their backyard. The breakfast every day is amazing. We are vegetarians and we were going to the arctic circle. The hosts made sure we had food with us(they literally stuffed us with food...:)) since it is very difficult to find veggie food around Alaska. One evening they took us on their snow mobiles to a sunset point right across the lodge. This was really touching since it was one of the best sunsets I have seen till date. The rooms are amazing, very clean. We went there in january. The heating system is too good too, one of the best for this kind of cold weather. At the end of all this I never wanted to come back because of their hospitality. They are super cool hosts. Thanks for everything. Go here if you want to get away from the crowds and want to have a personal aurora viewing experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank hotel_reviewer973
Reviewed 22 January 2014

If you are looking for a place to stay that is unique, Alaskan, and "off the beaten path", Mt. Aurora Lodge is the place. I stayed a few times in the past and just had my first stay under the new owners. Lori and Jeff are warm and welcoming, the common area is cozy, and the food is excellent. The rooms are clean and comfortable (but not large) and there are options for a bathroom shared between two rooms or a two-room suite with a private bathroom. It's just a short drive north of Fairbanks. And the view is great. I highly recommend it.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends