“Home Away From Home”

Mount Aurora Lodge
Anchorage, Alaska
“Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Lori and Jeff will make you feel at home in their lovely, rustic home. They will give you space if you want alone-time but they'll also share their life story if you ask. I recommend getting to know them, they are absolutely wonderful people and Lori is a fantastic cook! Eat as many meals as possible at the lodge, restaurants can't compete with their home-cooked meals.

If seeing or photographing the northern lights is your goal, there's no better location. Lori woke me up as soon as the lights came out and even gave me pointers on how to photograph the aurora. She also had a neat website with a webcam overlooking the area so I didn't have to stay outside in the cold all night, I could monitor it from the computer and run outside. I stayed 2 nights at the very end of the season and saw the aurora both nights for about 3 hours with bright green northern lights in every direction.

Lori also arranged a last-minute dog sled ride for me before I left. She has a strong network in the community, so definitely ask her for recommendations for things to do in the area.
The rooms are quaint but very clean with nice linens. Where else can you stay in an old mining bunkhouse?

Lori and Jeff ate lunch with me my last day and I didn't want to leave. I could never stay anywhere else after the hospitality & wonderful experience at Mount Aurora Lodge (aka Lori & Jeff's house). Thanks for making me feel like family!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We just got back from staying at this lodge. We stayed an entire week and were lucky enough to see the lights for all 7 days. Some of it was luck that we had great clear weather, but I am convinced that if you want to see the Aurora Borealis, you need to stay here.

We did a lot of research before our trip and realized that if our goal is to see the lights, we needed to stay where the tour buses go which is the clearly summit area. We have 2 young children, so we needed a place that would allow us to look out our window to see the lights were out and then determine whether or not we go outside. It would have not been feasible for us to stay in downtown fairbanks, dress the kids every night, drive 45 mins, and wait for a few hours in our car at the chance to see the lights. Some nights the lights came out at midnight and other nights it came out as late as 3 am.

The lodge has a unique historical feel since it is an old mining lodge. The rooms are clean and very comfortable. The common area is perfect to get-together and to hang out. The food is wonderful! Breakfast is included and lunch and dinner is optional. The lunch and dinners were one of the best that we had in fairbanks! It was great to get a home cooked meal right at the lodge. We usually like to stay at a place where we can cook our own food. However, we realized that we preferred having Lori cook for us when needed.

Lori and Jeff are such warm friendly people which made the stay even more special.

The walls are thin, but I didn't mind hearing the other guests walk down the halls to close the doors at night. It usually meant that the lights were out.

We would definitely stay here again and will recommend it to all our friends that want to have the best chance to see the lights.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
San rafael, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

It was difficult finding lodging for catching the Aurora Borealis this time of the year, especially when there is a new moon. We were fortunate to have found Mt Aurora Lodge because the location was optimal for the viewing.
The lodge is located on top of a hill about 40 minutes away from the city lights. As it turns out, one can just go outside the lodge on to the top of the driveway turnaround to get a perfect viewing. They will do wake up knocks for aurora sightings if requested plus there is a 24/7 aurora web cam from ronnmurrayphoto.com that can keep you updated throughout the night. Very helpful!! Otherwise, stay inside, have some hot chocolate and stay warm.

My husband is a photographer and for him having the trees in the foreground was perfect. One could also easily walk out to skiland, (10 min), to get a vast open aurora viewing. Only issue with that is maneuvering the busloads of tourist dropped off there for the same reason. We were very fortunate and saw the Aurora 3 nights out of 3. The best night was our first night there and it truly was magical.

The lodge itself has a lot of history and charm. It was a bunkhouse for miners back in the day. The rooms are small with many that are shared baths. The walls are thin !!! Throughout the night, you may hear people walking the halls, clumping down the stairs, opening and shutting doors, and conversations carrying-on. You may need need ear plugs if you want any sleep.

There were lots of nice touches offered at the lodge. In the great room, aka the gathering room, games and magazines and socialization with other guests were available if you wanted to partake. Hot and cold beverages were always available as were snacks. A couple of nights there were fresh baked brownies for the guests. A microwave, toaster and a small refrigerator was available for guests to use. Outside of the bedrooms they had travel size toiletries for guests in case we had forgotten ours or ran out. Ample bottled water was readily available.

Our interactions with the owners were minimal and brief albeit not by choice. Lori and Jeff were visable but not engaging unless we initiated. All in all our stay here at the lodge was pleasant and it was ideal for watching the northern lights.

Room Tip: You can get a room with a private bath if available. Thin walls.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank firepois
San Mateo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Rustic comfy hotel, warm lovely rooms. Jeff and Laurie were very welcoming - like meeting family for the first time. They are super helpful and made my stay feel like they had opened their home specifically for me to see the auroras! Hot breakfast and dinner, with lots of snacks out to keep you going thru the late nights. I had a single room with a queen (extremely comfortable) bed and shared jack-and-Jill bath. I saw the auroras on night one of three nights and they were out early around 10pm. Jeff and Laurie took us all up on a nearby hill via snow mobile. It's an unexplainable sight in the best location possible without leaving the us. I've told all my friends (and their friends too) that if this is on your bucket list, think of going nowhere else other than mount aurora lodge!

• Stayed March 2014
West Lafayette, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

The land lodge is pretty nice. We went there to see the Aurora and she know that so she wake my friend up to see the Aurora in the late night. The breakfast is so good.

There is snow and ice on the road to the lodge. I did not have 4 wheels but I can go to lodge easily. There is also live camera to observe the aurora online in that area so I don't have to wait for aurora in the cold.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Rochester, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is the idea place to view aurora! We saw the northern lights on 2 of our 3 nights stay.we can see the aurora just outside of the lodge, we even saw it from our room on one of the night. The room is very clear ( I am very very picky about cleanliness of bedroom, and it passes my standard). The host Lori is very friendly and knowledgeable about the area. She shared with us about the different activities we can do during we stay. She also helped us book the sled dog ride which was amazing. Highly recommend this wonderful place to anyone who visits fairbanks!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed at Mount Aurora lodge with 2 more friends for 2 nights (Feb 26th-27th). We arrived at midnight after a 18.5 hours journey and were given a warm welcome. The hosts, Lori and Jeff are lovely people. They certainly make a difference and make you feel like if you were home.
The rooms are very comfortable and the location is perfect if you are looking to experience the wonderful aurora (northern lights).
The breakfast is excellent and we were given different options each day.
The main reason for choosing this place was because of its location, as it is about a 45 min drive from the airport and about 25 min from the city. It is on a hill, far from city lights and cars, which makes it a great place if the weather allows you to see the aurora. We had the chance to see it each night we were there and believe me, you want to pick this place for this experience.

The view during the day time is very relaxing. The property has trails if you want to walk around and if you are spending the day at the lodge, they offer you lunch and dinner options, which is great considering there is nothing around. The lodge has a big living room and gives the chance to meet people and share the tips and nice experiences.

At night, we got notified when the aurora was given a spectacular show. Another great review about the place is that even weather conditions might change, and get colder, you do not need to get far to either see or photograph the aurora. and as necessary, you can go in and out depending on the gear you consider required.

As we were very tired during the first night, we went to bed around 3.30 am. However, we were able to continue viewing the aurora show from the room window, and consider this as priceless for seeing the aurora before closing your eyes.

The experience we had in Alaska was great, thanks to lady Aurora, Lori and Jeff!

Room Tip: As Auroras seem to love Lori's location, any room would be great, but if I can recommend one, ge...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends