“Delightful”
Review of Mount Aurora Lodge

Mount Aurora Lodge
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Friends invited my wife and I to a New Year's Eve party, December 31, 2012, at the Mount Aurora Lodge. The hosts, Jeff and Lori, were friendly, gracious and a lot of fun. I was particularly intrigued with the old mining camp that they had converted into a B&B Hotel. I love mining history and have many good memories of my own from camp living. It was a wonderful evening. Fifteen months later I was invited to a wedding being held there at Mount Aurora. Lori and Jeff treated me like an old friend and once again I thoroughly enjoyed myself in their company. It is also notable that they both cook quite well. My bride and I travel to other countries a couple of times a year so I speak from experience when I say some place is enjoyable or not and I can give Mount Aurora my heartfelt endorsement. It is rustic, homey and a fabulous spot for viewing the aurora borealis away from city lights. And I understand that now they have an outdoor jacuzzi for aurora viewing. I can't wait!

Room Tip: The rooms are all the same. It's rustic and an historical mining camp and the rooms are the very...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David_inNorthPole

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed at the Mount Aurora Lodge in March. I begged my husband to take me to see the Northern Lights and he planned an amazing trip to Fairbanks! In our planning we were lucky enough to stumble on the great reviews for the Mount Aurora Lodge and decided to give it a try. Needless to say, we were more than pleased with our decision. Jeff and Lori, the owners of the lodge, made this trip perfect. Lori was so helpful in directing us to local businesses for dining and entertainment. The lodge itself is situated in the perfect place for viewing the lights. We even saw the lights most of the nights we were there! We celebrated our wedding anniversary while staying at the Lodge. We asked for restaurant recommendations for fresh Alaskan crab legs... Jeff and Lori offered to prepare a special surf and turf dinner for us! (Which was absolutely yummy and amazing!) The rooms are adorable- they certainly have the feel of a miners lodge. You feel like you're experiencing a piece of history. I would highly recommend this lodge to couples and groups of friends traveling to Fairbanks. We visited some of the other "resorts" in Fairbanks during our stay and kept saying how grateful we were that we were lodging at Mount Aurora. Jeff and Lori- Thank you for an awesome vacation!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JennTiemann
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Lori and Jeff will make you feel at home in their lovely, rustic home. They will give you space if you want alone-time but they'll also share their life story if you ask. I recommend getting to know them, they are absolutely wonderful people and Lori is a fantastic cook! Eat as many meals as possible at the lodge, restaurants can't compete with their home-cooked meals.

If seeing or photographing the northern lights is your goal, there's no better location. Lori woke me up as soon as the lights came out and even gave me pointers on how to photograph the aurora. She also had a neat website with a webcam overlooking the area so I didn't have to stay outside in the cold all night, I could monitor it from the computer and run outside. I stayed 2 nights at the very end of the season and saw the aurora both nights for about 3 hours with bright green northern lights in every direction.

Lori also arranged a last-minute dog sled ride for me before I left. She has a strong network in the community, so definitely ask her for recommendations for things to do in the area.
The rooms are quaint but very clean with nice linens. Where else can you stay in an old mining bunkhouse?

Lori and Jeff ate lunch with me my last day and I didn't want to leave. I could never stay anywhere else after the hospitality & wonderful experience at Mount Aurora Lodge (aka Lori & Jeff's house). Thanks for making me feel like family!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We just got back from staying at this lodge. We stayed an entire week and were lucky enough to see the lights for all 7 days. Some of it was luck that we had great clear weather, but I am convinced that if you want to see the Aurora Borealis, you need to stay here.

We did a lot of research before our trip and realized that if our goal is to see the lights, we needed to stay where the tour buses go which is the clearly summit area. We have 2 young children, so we needed a place that would allow us to look out our window to see the lights were out and then determine whether or not we go outside. It would have not been feasible for us to stay in downtown fairbanks, dress the kids every night, drive 45 mins, and wait for a few hours in our car at the chance to see the lights. Some nights the lights came out at midnight and other nights it came out as late as 3 am.

The lodge has a unique historical feel since it is an old mining lodge. The rooms are clean and very comfortable. The common area is perfect to get-together and to hang out. The food is wonderful! Breakfast is included and lunch and dinner is optional. The lunch and dinners were one of the best that we had in fairbanks! It was great to get a home cooked meal right at the lodge. We usually like to stay at a place where we can cook our own food. However, we realized that we preferred having Lori cook for us when needed.

Lori and Jeff are such warm friendly people which made the stay even more special.

The walls are thin, but I didn't mind hearing the other guests walk down the halls to close the doors at night. It usually meant that the lights were out.

We would definitely stay here again and will recommend it to all our friends that want to have the best chance to see the lights.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2014

It was difficult finding lodging for catching the Aurora Borealis this time of the year, especially when there is a new moon. We were fortunate to have found Mt Aurora Lodge because the location was optimal for the viewing.
The lodge is located on top of a hill about 40 minutes away from the city lights. As it turns out, one can just go outside the lodge on to the top of the driveway turnaround to get a perfect viewing. They will do wake up knocks for aurora sightings if requested plus there is a 24/7 aurora web cam from ronnmurrayphoto.com that can keep you updated throughout the night. Very helpful!! Otherwise, stay inside, have some hot chocolate and stay warm.

My husband is a photographer and for him having the trees in the foreground was perfect. One could also easily walk out to skiland, (10 min), to get a vast open aurora viewing. Only issue with that is maneuvering the busloads of tourist dropped off there for the same reason. We were very fortunate and saw the Aurora 3 nights out of 3. The best night was our first night there and it truly was magical.

The lodge itself has a lot of history and charm. It was a bunkhouse for miners back in the day. The rooms are small with many that are shared baths. The walls are thin !!! Throughout the night, you may hear people walking the halls, clumping down the stairs, opening and shutting doors, and conversations carrying-on. You may need need ear plugs if you want any sleep.

There were lots of nice touches offered at the lodge. In the great room, aka the gathering room, games and magazines and socialization with other guests were available if you wanted to partake. Hot and cold beverages were always available as were snacks. A couple of nights there were fresh baked brownies for the guests. A microwave, toaster and a small refrigerator was available for guests to use. Outside of the bedrooms they had travel size toiletries for guests in case we had forgotten ours or ran out. Ample bottled water was readily available.

Our interactions with the owners were minimal and brief albeit not by choice. Lori and Jeff were visable but not engaging unless we initiated. All in all our stay here at the lodge was pleasant and it was ideal for watching the northern lights.

Room Tip: You can get a room with a private bath if available. Thin walls.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank firepois
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Rustic comfy hotel, warm lovely rooms. Jeff and Laurie were very welcoming - like meeting family for the first time. They are super helpful and made my stay feel like they had opened their home specifically for me to see the auroras! Hot breakfast and dinner, with lots of snacks out to keep you going thru the late nights. I had a single room with a queen (extremely comfortable) bed and shared jack-and-Jill bath. I saw the auroras on night one of three nights and they were out early around 10pm. Jeff and Laurie took us all up on a nearby hill via snow mobile. It's an unexplainable sight in the best location possible without leaving the us. I've told all my friends (and their friends too) that if this is on your bucket list, think of going nowhere else other than mount aurora lodge!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The land lodge is pretty nice. We went there to see the Aurora and she know that so she wake my friend up to see the Aurora in the late night. The breakfast is so good.

There is snow and ice on the road to the lodge. I did not have 4 wheels but I can go to lodge easily. There is also live camera to observe the aurora online in that area so I don't have to wait for aurora in the cold.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends