“Arctic Circle with a Hiker Dude driving.”
Review of 1st Alaska Tours

Fairbanks and Denali National Park Shuttle Service
US$201.00*
Arctic Circle Full-Day Adventure from Fairbanks
More attraction details
Owner description: 1st Alaska Tours is a Fairbanks based touring and sightseeing company that operates year round. Explore the tundra on an Arctic Circle or Arctic Ocean/Prudhoe Bay tour and receive a certificate to commemorate your journey. Relax in the famous Chena Hot Springs or take a Fairbanks City Tour to learn about the Golden Heart City. Enjoy the Northern Lights on one of our many Aurora Viewing Tours.Dog Mushing is the Alaskan State sport and is incredibly fun. Visit our Iditarod racing Dog Musher, Sven Haltmann of Arctic Winter Adventures, for a 1 hour Dog Sledding/Dog Mushing highlight. Summer or winter, we have an Alaskan adventure for everyone! We speak English, Mandarin & German.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Arctic Circle with a Hiker Dude driving.”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were driven to the Arctic Circle by Mike, a thru hiker on the Appalachian trail, a former river guide and a great tour host. He regaled us with stories from the Dalton highway and his hiking adventures. It made what was a very long van ride seem shorter and more enjoyable. His descriptions of the people and places along the journey made it much more interesting. I would highly recommend booking with this company for a trip to the Arctic Circle.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Jeff S

• Chinese (Traditional) first
NY
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Arctic Circle Tour - Great day, ask for Joe!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

There are several companies offering driving tours to the Arctic Circle. After much research I chose to go with 1st Alaska Outdoor School for several reasons. First, they picked me up at my hotel so I didn't have to drive anywhere. Second, they stopped at the Hilltop Truckstop for breakfast and the Yukon River Camp for dinner so each of us could order (and pay for) whatever we chose. All I had to bring was a light snack and bottled water. Third, and this was my primary reason, I was pretty sure it would be a small group and it was. Just one couple, myself, Joe Kennedy (driver and guide), and two young trainees from the company, Gina and Mike. For six people the van was comfortable and roomy. When we encountered buses full of people from the "other" companies, I was SO thankful that I had chosen 1st Alaska as I watched the hordes of people being herded like cattle!
Joe was a skilled and careful driver, very knowledgeable and able to answer all our questions. It was great talking to him and the two trainees about their reasons for coming to Alaska and their lifestyle here. All three were very friendly and forthcoming, I felt very comfortable with them right from the start.
The trip itself was great. I enjoyed the scenery and learning more about the pipeline and the history of the road. Crossing the Arctic Circle was the high point, marred only by the voracious mosquitoes we encountered there. Bring bug spray! There were stops to stretch our legs, take pictures, and admire the scenery. Rest assured there are an adequate number of restroom breaks. The restrooms are pit toilets but I found all of them reasonably clean and amply stocked with toilet paper and hand sanitizer dispensers.
You won't regret going with 1st Alaska, ask if you can get Joe Kennedy as your driver. Or Gina or Mike. I predict these two young trainees will be successful in their new jobs!

1 Thank bcoffman
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An exciting company”
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

I'm a local resident of Fairbanks and am highly impressed with all the opportunities this great company has for tourists and locals. I hope to go on one of each of their tours over the next year.

My family had a great experience on their Arctic circle tour! Plenty of wonderful scenery we had not previously seen in Alaska. They found the Fairbanks highlight tour insightful, and were very impressed with the antique car museum.

1 Thank Scott A
Jackson, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Would not recommend”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We booked the Arctic Circle tour. I guess we should have researched it better but did not realize it would mean 120 miles of driving on a dirt road (Dalton Hwy) - one way - and another 120 miles to return. The scenery, other than a few spots, was nothing to look at so all in all, it made for a really long day. It rained hard the day of our trip which made the dirt road even worse. Our guide munched on some Oriental snack mix that was placed in front of the fan. The stench from it was awful. Was a lot of money to spend for a boring drive

3 Thank Donna V
AlaskaOutdoorSchool, Manager at 1st Alaska Tours, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Donna,

We greatly appreciate your business and will do everything in our power to address your comments. While this specific tour is a light adventure, a day of terrible weather can certainly take away so much of the natural beauty that surrounds the tour. I will personally address with each one of our guides, our policies on proper food etiquette. Thank you, once more for your business and allowing us to continue leading the way to Alaska's Arctic.

Greg Allison
President
“Fantastic Trip!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I had an amazing experience! It was a very easy going and friendly environment! Great guides and excellencent customer service throughout the whole booking and tour.