“Too much light”

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Florida
“Too much light”
Reviewed 2 July 2008

The only problem with this hotel is the shades do not block out the sun light and in 23hrs of daylight its hard for me to sleep unless its dark. So we had a restless night at this hotel. The front desk staff wasn't very friendly.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank delia03

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Fussa, Japan
Reviewed 15 June 2008

To all of you non-Alaskans that will visit Fairbanks or just about anywhere in Alaska, you need to be warned in advance that when you visit Alaska, YOU CAN'T EXPECT MUCH FOR LUXURY OR COMFORT (unless you are in Anchorage)! With that being said, some places are much better than others and this one is the best....but you're going to pay for it. No hotel is cheap in Alaska so if you're a tourist, expect to pay as much as you would in Hawaii. A little bit about me, I live in Anchorage and have traveled to almost every city in Alaska, all over the US and around the world. I have stayed in some of the highest rated hotels in the world and some of the worst. As a result, my expectations are VERY HIGH so if say something positive about an experience, that means it is top-notch.

For starters, this hotel is an EXCELLENT location. Right in the middle of downtown Fairbanks across from the Chena river and the Visitor's Center (where you can get info on pretty much anything in the entire state). There are some great restaurants across the street on the backside of the hotel and there is a good Italian restaurant down the street. Lavelle's Bistro located in the hotel is also very good and has a nice terrace on the street for dining on sunny days.

I had a king suite which was more of studio and I'm not sure if that's how every room is. I was by myself so it was more than enough room. There were 2 tvs (one across from the bed and the other across from the sofa), a fridge, small microwave, and coffee maker. The bathroom was spotless and the bath amenities included were the same as what you would find at most Marriott properties. The bed was comfortable and I doubt you'll find any other hotel in town that has down pillows- again this is Alaska.

I checked in around 2:30 pm, right in the middle of the check-in rush. So any questions that I asked were met with VERY quick replies since the staff is not very large and didn't have enough time to answer questions and keep the check-in line moving. Morning check-out worked the same way.

I didn't eat the continental breakfast in the morning so I can't comment on that. If you check out before the breakfast start time of 6:30 am, there is a basket of fruit for the taking. As for the pool, hot tub, and gym, they were top notch considering the size of the hotel.

Overall, I give this hotel top marks because you can't possibly get any better of an experience in Fairbanks. If I was in the Lower 48 and stayed in this hotel, this hotel would have scored an Average to Slight Average with the downgrades being in the areas of customer service, lack of hot items on the continental breakfast (according to other reviewers), and value. But given that this is Alaska, where you got it folks, you can't expect much other than ridiculously high prices, this is the best lodging experience by far that you can get!

• Liked — Newest, cleanest hotel in Fairbanks
  • Disliked — Some of the ladies at the front desk didn't exactly blow me away with friendliness of their service
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Xianrocker
Houston, TX
Reviewed 1 June 2008

My husband and I traveled in Alaska for two weeks and stayed at this property for two nights; this was the highest priced hotel of our trip (almost $250/night). Our compliant was the uncomfortable bed. When we entered the room it was obvious by looking that the bed sagged and that the foot of the bed was actually higher than the head. Both of us have back problems and were concerned. We called the desk and asked for another room and were told that all of the beds were like that!!! We did see another room and it was no better. The employee who showed us the other room said that this property was scheduled for a major renovation and would likely get new bedding at that time. He then helped us rotate the mattress. This did help a bit, but was not really comfortable.

• Disliked — the bed!!!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Hunstville
Reviewed 8 April 2008

This is one of the newest hotels in the area. The hotel is very difficult to get last minute reservations, even in the winter low season. I believe that the prime reason for its popularity is based on the level of service, quality of amenities, and proximity to everything that you need in the area.

For the property itself, I have to say that hands down it’s all about the location, location, location. It’s in the heart of downtown, right on the Chena river, and very close to most everything that you need except for the airport; in relative terms, the airport is only 10-15 minutes away with heavy traffic. There are many dining and entertainment establishments within walking distance, even in the –20F temperatures that I experienced in February; most are closer than the court house parking structure that I will get to in a moment.

The rooms are typical Marriott décor, that is to say that they are all very well appointed, clean, and well maintained. There is a small pantry/business nook with a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and two free bottles of water in the room when you arrive. A threshold separates the pantry from the main area. If you are a Marriott rewards member, there is a small welcome assortment of snack type refreshments. They have free high-speed Internet that is truly high-speed; this is a standard amenity in the lower 48, but is a significant perk for the Fairbanks area.

If you stay in a double twin room, it has two TVs with one in a larger sitting area that has a couch and a chair, with the pantry and nook more clearly defined from the main area. The standard King room has just one TV (you can’t watch two) in the main sleeping area with a small couch, a chair with ottoman, and a bed.

The Marriott chain has by far the greatest beds of all the majors. I have no idea what the manufacturer is, but I would love to have one in my home. The linens are obviously higher quality than average hotels 400-600 thread count at a minimum; I have 600 and 1200 at home and have become spoiled so I truly appreciate quality bed linens. The amazing quietness of the area will ensure you a wonderful nights sleep.

The staff is always very cordial and warm when they greet you. The front desk attendant even remembered me on sight, not by name, when I checked in this afternoon after I checked out over a month and a half ago. When I had a problem with the heat in my room today, it was less than 4 minutes from the time that I called the front desk until a technician showed up to my room and reset the electronic switch in the heating unit and less than 10 minutes until I had to turn down the heat.

The hotel serves a continental breakfast that I think is a little poor based on the level of other Marriott breakfasts; not a single hot item except for coffee or oatmeal. With that said, the best restaurant in the area, Lavell’s, happens to be located in the lobby of the hotel. The quality of the meal served for dinner more than makes up for the lack of breakfast fare.

When I first stayed here, I thought that the price was a little steep, but after eating in several other area dining establishments, I realize that its just a bit more expensive to eat in Fairbanks than it is in the lower 48. Lavell’s also has a great wine cellar if you are into wine, I am not, but their bar is fully stocked with finer quality spirits.

The parking is quite a disconcerting situation that clearly displays the lack of planning on the part of the property designers. If you come to Alaska in the winter, you will find out that you have to plug in your rental car into an electrical outlet in order to keep it from freezing solid. No kidding! There are less than 30 parking slots on site at the property, and you have to get a pass in order to park here. You can park across the street, but there is no place to plug in your vehicle if the weather is below –10F you may have problems starting in the morning.

If you show up to the hotel after 5 PM you may end up having to park nearly a block away at the court house parking structure and will have to walk (slip and slide on the ice/snow; look into shoe chains, no kidding again) through the bone chilling cold in order to get to and from your vehicle; there is an additional charge but the hotel will validate your ticket so you won’t pay the cost unless you forget to get it validated.

Obviously, since I am choosing to pay the premium price for the area the pros far outweigh the cons. Other than the parking and the difficulty getting a reservation without a month advance notice, you should definitely stay here for your business or vacation needs.

• Liked — The location of the property to all the area attractions
  • Disliked — The parking
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 22 March 2008

My husband and I stayed in this hotel in March and really enjoyed the location in downtown Fairbanks. The rooms were nice - very typical Marriott. The free daily continental breakfast was nice also, nothing fancy, but nice to not have to go out in the cold to get it. The staff was helpful, but not overly friendly. The hotel's best asset is its location. One day, the national dog-sled races went right down the street in front of the hotel. We were able to watch from our room. We were able to get to many restaurants, shops, and galleries without driving or having to be out too long in the cold. There is a great restaurant just downstairs from the hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — difficult parking
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 9 March 2008

I stayed at SpringHill again on this trip to Fairbanks and I have to say it was even improved over my last stay in September. The same helpful front desk staff were there, everything was just as dependable as it was on my previous stay. One additional thing I noticed on this stay was how helpful the hotel staff were in posting notices and placards about parking availability changes (they were plowing one of the lots and wanted to make sure guests knew about alternative parking), as well as regarding daylight savings.

This was also the first time I used the airport shuttle to get back to the airport and it was immediately available, no waiting! One janitorial associate in particular was always smiling and cheerful upon meeting in the hallways etc. Another perfect stay!

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
Boston, MA
Reviewed 5 March 2008

I stay at Marriot hotels quite often when I travel for business. This hotel is centrally located in Downtown fairbanks geat veiws from front of hotel overlooking fairbanks and river. Access to elevator requires Key card. The hotel is 6 stories. The housekeeping throughout including my room was great as usually is the case with Marriots. I was disappointed with the kitchen in my room as it included a small sink, a small microwave a mini fridge, 2 paper plates with plastic silver ware no oven or range and of course no cookware. Sorry I like to have the option to cook and eat in my room. The restaurant is great and upscale but to pricy to eat here every night $25-30+ for entrees. Otherwise for $104 for my large 2 bed room not bad. SLight lack of parking may have you in a parking garage nearby where they wiill validate. Overall a good experience if you dont mind the lack of kitchen equipment.

Stayed March 2008