“Excellent, central accomodation”

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Brussels, Belgium
“Excellent, central accomodation”
Reviewed 2 November 2008

this is a brand new hotel in the centre of downtown Fairbanks. The mini suites are excellent value and very comfortable. The hotel has lots of facilities including a good sized pool. The onsite restaurant, Lavelle's, is probably the best dinning spot in Fairbanks.

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank PineMonkey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Alaska
Reviewed 9 October 2008

- Nice facility.
- Poor staff response for requests for assistance.
- Staff "dripping" with sarcasm and "stereotypical" attitude problems.
- Maintenance requests ignored.
- Multiple requests to speak with the general manager ignored.

The facility was clean and well maintained. Unfortunately we were here to admit my daughter into the hospital for long-term treatment. We decided to extend our stay so we could visit with our daughter for another night. We asked to speak with the general manager when the front staff became sarcastic and rude. We were told that the manager was not available. After visiting at the hospital the next day (we stayed for several nights) we returned and found we had received a voice mail. We were unable to retrieve the voice mail and called the front desk for assistance. We were told nobody could help us and we would have to wait until the next morning to speak with maintenance. The next morning we called and were informed that maintenance was not available to help us nor was the general manager available to speak with us. If I had more time I would write many more details but suffice it to say I have received better treatment at the Motel 8.

• Liked — neat and clean facility
  • Disliked — Rude and sarcastic front desk staff
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank AlaskaHunter
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 8 October 2008

I frequently stay in Marriott properties. In fact, I've stayed over 130 days this year alone and with all of that experience, I have to say I'm very disappointed with the customer service of the front desk staff at this hotel. There is NO effort to go above and beyond. Some seem to even want to fight with you! I had a clerk basically shout me down last night as I asked a simple question about parking (which is very limited). She was short, curt and rude. She even cut me off as I was trying to further clarify my question. There doesn't seem to be an emphasis at this hotel to go over the top for their customers. No, I'm not asking for special favors because I have "status" with Marriott. What happened to me shouldn't happen to anyone - frequent guests or those staying at a Marriott for the first time. I've stayed here before and have witnessed the same rude or at least minimally unconcerned behavior of the staff. Maybe I should narrow down that comment - it is the night crew that is horrible. The day crew seems to be generally helpful.
The rooms are clean, new and meet the standards normally associated with good Marriott properties. There is a great restaurant in the building, so you don't have to travel out in the cold if you do not wish to do so.

• Liked — Fresh, clean room. Breakfast
  • Disliked — Front Desk Staff rudness, Internet service slow
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank A6Pack
Alaska
Reviewed 25 August 2008

The room here was large, bright, clean, and well-kept. I appreciated the tiny refrigerator and microwave, the disposable plates and utensils, and the one free bottle of water provided each day (I usually don't drink bottled water, but Fairbanks tap water doesn't taste great). My room--on the 6th floor at the front of the building--had a beautiful view of the park across the street, the river, and the hills beyond. Though I didn't take full advantage of the free continental-plus breakfast, they had a variety of items (more than the meager continental breakfasts offered at some hotels). The exercise room had two different treadmills and a couple of other pieces of equipment (I just used one treadmill) and a television with several remote controls (fortunately, there weren't any fights over which channel to watch). There are a variety of restaurants and tourist shops nearby, but no grocery stores that I could find. Downstairs near the first-floor elevator there were vending machines with ice cream novelties, microwave meals, sodas, candy bars, etc. When I asked at the front desk where I could buy toothpaste, they gave me a travel-size tube at no charge. Aside from not being within walking distance of a grocery store, the only thing I disliked was the loud heater/air conditioner: it couldn't be turned off manually, and each time the fan came on, it overwhelmed the television volume; at night it woke me up several times.

• Liked — Clean, bright, well-kept
  • Disliked — Noisy heater/air conditioner
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
southern california
Reviewed 13 July 2008

This hotel was fine; clean and quiet enough and in a good location in downtown Fairbanks (you don't need more than about half a day to walk downtown Fairbanks).They got our bed configuration wrong. We had booked a king/queen sized bed plus a roll away for our son. We had confirmed the reservation and the bed configuration the day before. When we arrived about 2:00AM the only room left was two twin beds. We were not happy about that but they said there was nothing they could do about it and we lived with it. The restaurant on the property had good food for lunch and dinner but was not inexpensive at dinner.

• Liked — clean and quiet and good location
  • Disliked — they got our reservation wrong (bed configuration).
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank bjpremierontheroad
Florida
Reviewed 2 July 2008

The only problem with this hotel is the shades do not block out the sun light and in 23hrs of daylight its hard for me to sleep unless its dark. So we had a restless night at this hotel. The front desk staff wasn't very friendly.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank delia03
Fussa, Japan
Reviewed 15 June 2008

To all of you non-Alaskans that will visit Fairbanks or just about anywhere in Alaska, you need to be warned in advance that when you visit Alaska, YOU CAN'T EXPECT MUCH FOR LUXURY OR COMFORT (unless you are in Anchorage)! With that being said, some places are much better than others and this one is the best....but you're going to pay for it. No hotel is cheap in Alaska so if you're a tourist, expect to pay as much as you would in Hawaii. A little bit about me, I live in Anchorage and have traveled to almost every city in Alaska, all over the US and around the world. I have stayed in some of the highest rated hotels in the world and some of the worst. As a result, my expectations are VERY HIGH so if say something positive about an experience, that means it is top-notch.

For starters, this hotel is an EXCELLENT location. Right in the middle of downtown Fairbanks across from the Chena river and the Visitor's Center (where you can get info on pretty much anything in the entire state). There are some great restaurants across the street on the backside of the hotel and there is a good Italian restaurant down the street. Lavelle's Bistro located in the hotel is also very good and has a nice terrace on the street for dining on sunny days.

I had a king suite which was more of studio and I'm not sure if that's how every room is. I was by myself so it was more than enough room. There were 2 tvs (one across from the bed and the other across from the sofa), a fridge, small microwave, and coffee maker. The bathroom was spotless and the bath amenities included were the same as what you would find at most Marriott properties. The bed was comfortable and I doubt you'll find any other hotel in town that has down pillows- again this is Alaska.

I checked in around 2:30 pm, right in the middle of the check-in rush. So any questions that I asked were met with VERY quick replies since the staff is not very large and didn't have enough time to answer questions and keep the check-in line moving. Morning check-out worked the same way.

I didn't eat the continental breakfast in the morning so I can't comment on that. If you check out before the breakfast start time of 6:30 am, there is a basket of fruit for the taking. As for the pool, hot tub, and gym, they were top notch considering the size of the hotel.

Overall, I give this hotel top marks because you can't possibly get any better of an experience in Fairbanks. If I was in the Lower 48 and stayed in this hotel, this hotel would have scored an Average to Slight Average with the downgrades being in the areas of customer service, lack of hot items on the continental breakfast (according to other reviewers), and value. But given that this is Alaska, where you got it folks, you can't expect much other than ridiculously high prices, this is the best lodging experience by far that you can get!

• Liked — Newest, cleanest hotel in Fairbanks
  • Disliked — Some of the ladies at the front desk didn't exactly blow me away with friendliness of their service
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business