“Outstanding service and excellent value”

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Fairbanks
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
United Kingdom
“Outstanding service and excellent value”
Reviewed 25 June 2009

We spent six weeks in Fairbanks while I received medical treatment in April and May 2009 after getting severe frostbite in the far north of Alaska. We stayed at SpringHill Suites during that time. The front desk staff and the housekeeping staff could not have been more helpful, and gave us excellent service and support during a difficult time. This is a very well run hotel. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, and well suited to a longer stay. The location is convenient and there is an attractive outlook from the riverside rooms. SpringHill Suites, Fairbanks provides excellent value. There is no restaurant, but there is a very good, independently owned restaurant in the building, and a number of others nearby. Other reviewers have commented about the breakfast. Yes, it could be more exciting, but it was perfectly adequate, and part of the good value that this hotel provides. We would have absolutely no hesitation about staying there again. It is the best place to be in Fairbanks.
CM - United Kingdom

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 12 June 2009

My friend & I stayed here for two days before a four-day "aurora borealis" excursion to Coldfoot above the Arctic Circle. Our room was quite comfortable with a nice kitchenette and there was plenty of parking - with the prerequisite engine warmer docks - within a short distance. The breakfast was quite extensive - make-your-own egg/meat/cheese muffins, hard boiled eggs, and the usual fruit/cereal/danishes, etc. Our dinner in the restaurant was quite good as well. The free computer center w/internet access near the front desk was very handy.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
Adirondack, New York
Reviewed 19 December 2008

We stayed in this hotel for two nights using the Marriot’s rewards points. The location is great and easy to get to it, also a short drive to Barnes and Noble which was important to us.

I guess I shouldn’t complaint since we paid $0.00 for our two night stay but there were some issues which mostly surprised us. The first problem was a parking. No room to park as we arrived. We waited trying to figure out what to do since a clerk told us to drive around and find a place to park. Another guest was leaving so we quickly moved in to his spot. It looked like the desk staff in this hotel was tired of guests asking questions, never smiled and let us know how silly was a question another guest just asked. This approach was a little embarrassing to all other Marriott’s hotels and we stayed in many not only in the US but in Canada, Europe, Cayman Islands. This impoliteness of a staff was something unusual for Marriott’s. A room was a nice size but a smell of some cleaning stuff was really strong. We tried to open a window but windows do not open! That was the biggest problem for us. A/C too loud and not consistent. Too warm or too cold. Had to get up a few times at night to turn it on or off. Of course, I could open a window since we were on the top floor. But windows do not open in this hotel!. We heard about the restaurant in this hotel. On arrival we called but there was a 2 hour wait. We waited and then went downstairs only to find out we would have to wait at least another 45 minutes. One more observation. I still can‘t figure out why towels were so tired, thin and discolored. They used to be white but it had to be a very long ago. Our room was a nice size and we liked having a small refrigerator and mircrowave. I don‘t think I would return to this hotel unless I had too many Marriott‘s points and didn’t know what to do with them. Overall this was not very positive experience during our 3 month long and fabulous trip.

• Liked — Location, having a small refrigerator and microwave
  • Disliked — Location. towels, limited parking
  • Stayed September 2008
3 Thank Places
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 2 November 2008

this is a brand new hotel in the centre of downtown Fairbanks. The mini suites are excellent value and very comfortable. The hotel has lots of facilities including a good sized pool. The onsite restaurant, Lavelle's, is probably the best dinning spot in Fairbanks.

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank PineMonkey
Alaska
Reviewed 9 October 2008

- Nice facility.
- Poor staff response for requests for assistance.
- Staff "dripping" with sarcasm and "stereotypical" attitude problems.
- Maintenance requests ignored.
- Multiple requests to speak with the general manager ignored.

The facility was clean and well maintained. Unfortunately we were here to admit my daughter into the hospital for long-term treatment. We decided to extend our stay so we could visit with our daughter for another night. We asked to speak with the general manager when the front staff became sarcastic and rude. We were told that the manager was not available. After visiting at the hospital the next day (we stayed for several nights) we returned and found we had received a voice mail. We were unable to retrieve the voice mail and called the front desk for assistance. We were told nobody could help us and we would have to wait until the next morning to speak with maintenance. The next morning we called and were informed that maintenance was not available to help us nor was the general manager available to speak with us. If I had more time I would write many more details but suffice it to say I have received better treatment at the Motel 8.

• Liked — neat and clean facility
  • Disliked — Rude and sarcastic front desk staff
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank AlaskaHunter
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 8 October 2008

I frequently stay in Marriott properties. In fact, I've stayed over 130 days this year alone and with all of that experience, I have to say I'm very disappointed with the customer service of the front desk staff at this hotel. There is NO effort to go above and beyond. Some seem to even want to fight with you! I had a clerk basically shout me down last night as I asked a simple question about parking (which is very limited). She was short, curt and rude. She even cut me off as I was trying to further clarify my question. There doesn't seem to be an emphasis at this hotel to go over the top for their customers. No, I'm not asking for special favors because I have "status" with Marriott. What happened to me shouldn't happen to anyone - frequent guests or those staying at a Marriott for the first time. I've stayed here before and have witnessed the same rude or at least minimally unconcerned behavior of the staff. Maybe I should narrow down that comment - it is the night crew that is horrible. The day crew seems to be generally helpful.
The rooms are clean, new and meet the standards normally associated with good Marriott properties. There is a great restaurant in the building, so you don't have to travel out in the cold if you do not wish to do so.

• Liked — Fresh, clean room. Breakfast
  • Disliked — Front Desk Staff rudness, Internet service slow
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank A6Pack
Alaska
Reviewed 25 August 2008

The room here was large, bright, clean, and well-kept. I appreciated the tiny refrigerator and microwave, the disposable plates and utensils, and the one free bottle of water provided each day (I usually don't drink bottled water, but Fairbanks tap water doesn't taste great). My room--on the 6th floor at the front of the building--had a beautiful view of the park across the street, the river, and the hills beyond. Though I didn't take full advantage of the free continental-plus breakfast, they had a variety of items (more than the meager continental breakfasts offered at some hotels). The exercise room had two different treadmills and a couple of other pieces of equipment (I just used one treadmill) and a television with several remote controls (fortunately, there weren't any fights over which channel to watch). There are a variety of restaurants and tourist shops nearby, but no grocery stores that I could find. Downstairs near the first-floor elevator there were vending machines with ice cream novelties, microwave meals, sodas, candy bars, etc. When I asked at the front desk where I could buy toothpaste, they gave me a travel-size tube at no charge. Aside from not being within walking distance of a grocery store, the only thing I disliked was the loud heater/air conditioner: it couldn't be turned off manually, and each time the fan came on, it overwhelmed the television volume; at night it woke me up several times.

• Liked — Clean, bright, well-kept
  • Disliked — Noisy heater/air conditioner
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business