“My home away from home!”
Review of Golden North Motel

Golden North Motel
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Fairbanks, Alaska
“My home away from home!”
Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

I love staying at this motel! Since I moved to Alaska and worked in the bush for the first 8 years or so it was nice to find a reasonably price motel in Fairbanks when I needed to be in town. The staff is quick to get to know you after just a few visits. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The Baer family truly cares that you have a good experience while staying with them. That is really what makes a motel a great place to stay! Plus it is close to several tourist attractions and local grocery/dept. store.

Stayed December 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Michigan
Reviewed 26 September 2012

This place was on my list of hotels to check out because of the price. At first blush it appeared a little too shabby. After checking out the other hotels on my list and finding them either booked or very over priced, we went back. We asked to see a room and were allowed to look at one on the first floor and one on the second. We chose a first floor room with queen bed. Furnishings were older but acceptable. Everything worked and was moderatly clean. Would of liked to see it a little cleaner, but for the price I can put up with dust in the corners and cob webs. Beds were clean but old. If you visit Alaska on a budget like we do I suggest checking this place out. Do not get put off by the outwardly appearance. Staff was friendly and knowledgable and the Golden retriver in the office was friendly as well.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MichiganMadmoose
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2012

A good value little motel, run by a lovely family. Room was clean, nice bathroom and had a microwave and fridge which was a huge bonus for us. It is kind of out on it's own and the nearest neighbour is the Lonely Lady Saloon featuring showgirls nightly (which made me laugh) but you couldn't hear any noise from it. Just off the main road leading into the town and with lots of restaurants and fast food places nearby (if you have a car). There is a Fred Meyer and Safeway supermarkets very close also and the Imax cinema up the road. Pioneer Park is also along this road.

Tea, coffee and pastries are free in the lobby for breakfast and the owners will give you lots of suggestions for things to do and see.
If you are looking for a comfortable, basic, no fuss, friendly place and a good price this is a great choice.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 25 June 2012

A basic, old-fashioned motel, managed by a very kind family. Very good value, Alaska standards (less than 100$). In summer, take a room in the Eastern side – the Western side is too hot the afternoon. Consider taking the 2 beds rooms – for few more bucks they are much bigger than the regular room with a separated sitting and working room.

(If you’ve found this review helpful, you can let me and others know it by clicking the green Yes below)

Room Tip: In summer, take a room in the Eastern side – the Western side is too hot the afternoon. Consider tak...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Avi O
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Golden North, when you need a nice clean place to crash, and not break the bank this is your spot. I stayed here in January when it was -50 and my truck froze up! It was pluged in but my battery blanket craped out and my battery froze. At the front desk they had a battery booster and charger for guests to use. So I didn't have to spend $30 dollars for a taxi to give ma a jump. AWESOME!!

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank thewolf907
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I chose the Golden North Motel since it is in close proximity to the Fred Meyer store and wasn't sure if I was going to rent a car or not and may have needed to use bus service and since you can wait for the bus inside at Fred Meyer in the cold winter it is a plus. I ended up renting a car but still decided to stay at Golden North. Several of the big chains were about the same price, but do enjoy supporting local mom and pop type places. Didn't pick up my car til the 2nd day so had their shuttle pick me up. Was quick considering they had to warm their vehicle before they came to get me since it was -20 outside. I then had them take me back to the airport the 2nd morning to pick up my rental. No problem at all. They called me when the van was warmed at 7am. They also refused my tip for the ride. A nice touch.

The room was small but adequate for my needs. It had a Microwave and Refrigerator which is always a plus. No coffee pot in the room but I always travel with some instant coffee just in case. They did have coffee/muffins in the lobby, though.

My next trip to Fairbanks I'll certainly stay here since the hospitality of the owners makes it a good place to stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank AKBUCK
Wasilla
Reviewed 8 August 2011

The three Baers run this family owned hotel. "Momma Baer" and her two adult sons graciously greet new arrivals and do an exceptional job to accommodate individual needs. While enjoying refreshments in the artistically cozy lobby it soon becomes evident why many of are returnees to this very clean, attractive and especially friendly place. The Baers are long time Alaskans who happily assist new comers to get the most out of their Fairbanks visit.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends