“This was the best bargain of all our hotels”

Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Fairbanks
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I sit here and laugh at some of the reviews. I tried in May to book a room here over the internet (for June 18-21)as we were independent travelers and Fairbanks was the end of our vacation. There was a problem with one or two of the days I needed the room so I booked our last three days at the Hampton Inn. However, since I never really know where we will be except our first few days or last few days of a vacation I need to wing it. When we were at the Copper River Princess I figuered we would be in Fairbanks a total of 5 days so I went on the internet and found rooms were available here for just $109 a night. I grabbed them. People on the Princess cruises have no idea how expensive hotels are in Alaska. Outside of this hotel for $109 I paid anywhere from $143 to $235 a night.. Denali we paid $215 a night (they wanted to charge us $250) but my husband talked them down and we stayed at the McKinley Chalet lodges next to the Princess. The Princess resort in Denali had 600 rooms with not one available for us. We are not going to stay in a dump so we opt to stay in a chain motel and when we found out about the Princess resorts we were thrilled. The only things I found wrong with this place is that the lounge is tiny in the foyer for this size hotel. We used the business center where the laundry was done, and we got lost going back to our room on the other side of the hotel as some of the wings were not connected except on the main floor. I am sure your cruise-land package was quite inexpensive because Princess does own their own lodgings which reduces your cost. I choose to go independently because our interest varies from the sightseeing activities Princess offers.

The room was fine, but the TV was smaller than Copper River's TV. The grill was nice and also the opportunity to buy just coffee and a muffin in the morning in the gift shop. There is a" two computer" business center near the laundry as a lot of people use the one computer up near the lobby. I liked our furniture a little bit better at Copper River Princess because it was rustic looking. Rooms in Fairbanks was not easy to book as we tried Pikes Lodge next to the Princess and even the Marriot and they were filled a month before we needed to stay. I hate to see the scramble for rooms come July and August!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kconnell1

Reviewed 14 June 2011

We stayed at Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge as part of the Landtour with Princess Cruises. The facility is located near the airport. We ate breakfast in the buffet where we tried the "reindeer sausage" in omelets. It was tasty. The only problem we encountered was with the A/C. It didn't work, when we went to our room it was 85 degrees in there!!! The thermostat was NOT user friendly. The window opened but because of the extended daylight (sunset at 11pm) we couldn't have our curtain open due to the sun beating on the window. It was HOT... It made it difficult to sleep.

Room Tip: Make sure the A/C works....
1  Thank PAPackerFans
Reviewed 7 June 2011

We we placed here by Princess for the land portion of our cruise. Granted, we were overtired and jet lagged when we arrived. The "season" had just started and I don't think they had their act together yet. The hotel is clean, comfortable and the people were friendly and helpful. That said, breakfast was nuts. Typically, everybody was leaving for their tours/train around the same time. The dinning room was overflowing and the cafe/gift shop line was backed out way into the lobby. We waited about 20 minutes and
then had to scrammble to find a place to sit in the lobby. I hope they have worked this
out by now. View from our room was only fair and the landscaping was not terribly attractive, but that may have been, again, because it was early in the season.

out by

then

1  Thank jme2628
Reviewed 2 June 2011

Comfortable bed, nice location next to river. Like most lodges, they have everything you need on grounds. restaurants were alright, prices higher than neighboring restaurants and overall comfort and quality is average. parts of a princess cruise lines cruise tour. My advice, do land portion on your own and cruise with Princess.

Room Tip: Use tape to tape curtains shut,.
1  Thank ggd
Reviewed 12 February 2011

The rooms were clean and the staff was nice & helpful. We only stayed on night and caught the train in the morning. Breakfast was good and we were able to catch a bus from the hotel to the train station in the morning. We did have a lengthy cab ride to “down town” Fairbanks in search of some night life.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank liketotravl
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Yes I am one of the cruiseship people, we stayed in this Princess Lodge as well as Mt Mckinley and Denali. This was far and above the best property. I see some bad reviews but we had an excellent room, clean and up to date furnishings. This hotel has nice facilities also. This property is open year round as it is interesting listening to how the Japanese come in the winter in mass in order to experience the Northern Lights. Again I thought was an excellent property.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Thomas T
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Checked in last night and the room was about 110 degrees with the heat running. The response was the a/c is now off for the season suggest cracking your window....had the window completely open with a fan running that maintenance brought up and it was still hot.

Bedding was not good and the shower is awful. Not a very good branding experience for the Princess brand.

• Stayed: October 2010