“Nice friendly little ski area and aurora viewing site.”
Review of Ski Land

Ski Land
Ranked #41 of 101 things to do in Fairbanks
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Ski Land, home of North Americas furthest north chairlift, offers downhill skiing and boarding on the weekends with nightly Aurora viewing in our warm lodge.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 29 July 2013

First, the ski area itself is small, but fun. Very friendly, decent rentals, helmets available, only open on weekends/possibly holidays.
Second at night the lodge is a fantastic place for aurora viewing! They charge a per person fee, but well worth it for staying warm and having huge windows and great views. Still need to dress very warmly since you will want to venture out when the lights get spectacular, then back in to thaw. Awesome experience, literally.

5  Thank retiredprofsuzi
in 2 reviews
"lodge"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 31 March 2013

I literally hadn't skied in 10 years, but when I saw that there was a chance to ski Alaska while we were in Fairbanks to watch the aurora, I had to go for it. This place is not for rookies, and they warn you at the rental desk. Since it had been a decade, I stuck to the green runs Ellens & Little Dipper (which would be blue here in Southern California). It took me half a run down (lots of starting & stopping) to get my "ski legs" back and feel comfortable. The runs were groomed, wide, and uncrowded (and this was during their spring break, too!).. Great view of the White Mountains from the top. And, if you go after 2pm, you get $5 off. I ended up with just 2 runs (didn't want to push my luck while on vacation) and feel I got my monies worth. If you're an experienced skier, I highly recommend this.

5  Thank curlieque
Reviewed 22 March 2013 via mobile

We went to Skiland to view Aurora -- it was a great place to stay warm while waiting for the lights. It is close to Fairbanks and easy to find. They have closed circuit tv in the lodge so you can see what is going on outside while enjoying tea and coffee inside and can quickly get outside to take pictures of the lights. Very friendly people run the resort. I would definitely recommend.

3  Thank LAURIE G
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We went to Ski land on the Steese highway 4 times during our visit to. Fairbanks in March 2013. Great aurora viewing with a rustic warming hut with free coffee and tea. spectacular views and great photographic opportunities.

2  Thank Travelersrus2
See more reviews
Reviewed 2 October 2012

If you are in the Fairbanks area from early September to late Spring, Mt. Aurora Skiland is the place to see the aurora borealis. There is a $25 per person charge, but as noted in the earlier reviews you get a warm, indoor location with a closed circuit TV on the sky to wait, hot tea and coffee are provided, and the hosts are knowledgeable about the aurora.

3  Thank CaseyDallas

Been to Ski Land? Share your experiences!