“Great Stay”

Sophie Station Suites
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Fairbanks
Reviewed 24 March 2008

I found this hotel based on reviews from this site. This is a comfortable and roomy hotel. The suites are nice but not considered luxurious. The service is friendly and the atmosphere is comfortable. I ordered food from the restaraunt at the bar and it arrived in a timely manner and was pretty good. Joe, the bartender, made excellent recommendations on some of the local things to not miss such as the Chenega Hot Springs. The hotel is close to the airport and is easy to find and it is easy to navigate around from there.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank nbr1afguy

Reviewed 15 October 2007

Husband returned from a LONG tour in the middle east and we stayed for 2 nights in their Jacuzzi Suite. GREAT color scheme in the room, awesome service, layout of the room allowed for me to work in/near the kitchen area so to keep work out of the sleeping area, enjoyed having a drink in the upstairs lounge and calling it a night in the tub. Would most definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 1ohana7
Reviewed 13 October 2007

We were here in early June on a roadtrip through Alaska. This was our first visit to Fairbanks, and this hotel was a luxury I didn't expect to find.

The hotel was much, much larger than I expected. With a name like "Sophie's Station" I was expecting a much smaller hotel with "quaint" dripping all over it. Instead, this felt more like a condomineum complex with large bedrooms and fairly decent size livingrooms.

BEDROOMS: Huge beds, very comfortable, extremely clean.

LIVING ROOM AND KITCHEN: If you're in the mood to cook, there's a large kitchen available for that. There's a big TV in the livingroom and another one in the bedroom. If you have to sleep on the couch, there's a large one in the living room that's big enough to sleep comfortably.

RESTAURANT: There is a nice, almost European-style breakfast served in the morning. It's very open, and the daylight peeks through the large windows. Very pleasant.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: A few other people have mentioned this, but I'll chime in as well: the people at the front desk are very helpful and attentive. I had to leave a day early, and I was positive they would charge me a late cancellation fee. Instead, the lady at the front desk gave me a refund, smiled, and said "no problem." I usually remember people like that during future visits.

Fairbanks is pretty easy city in which to navigate. The airport is not far, and there is some great wildlife to observe. I particularly enjoyed the Robert G. White Large Animal Research Station at the Univ of Alaska/Fairbanks.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank pdxjeff1959
Reviewed 14 August 2007

Our room at Sophie's Station was absolutely clean and neat. Everything about the facility was clean and neat. Very comfortable suite with lots of space. This level of attention to detail is very welcome and very much to be enjoyed.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank O2C_newsights
Reviewed 5 August 2007

The entire facility and staff exceeded our highest expectations. Cannot rave enough about the place. Especially Joe in the bar!!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CharliebJupiter
Reviewed 19 July 2007

Sophie Station was a nice European style hotel with lots of beautiful flowers outside and friendly atmosphere. I stayed there for 2 nights and enjoyed my room which included a kitchen, living room, bedroom with 2 queen beds, and shower with a sink outside and huge counter for stashing beauty supplies. I was really impressed with the spacious room and balcony. I especially liked the kitchen which I used for preparing food for breakfast and dinner, convienently bought from Fred Meyers just down the street. I stayed in the Regency Hotel for one night also and really liked Sophie Station a lot better. Another plus is Zack's Restaurant and a bar with a nice patio located on the second floor. It was a convienent place to sip a drink and take advantage of a warm summer day in Fairbanks.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank Trigirl80
Reviewed 29 June 2007

We arrived in Fairbanks after several days in Seattle, in preparation to just over a week of inland Alaska prior to boarding a ship in Seward to begin a cruise down to Vancouver.
Upon our arrival we were greeted by some very nice folks at the front desk. We did arrive late morning, so I wasn't surprised when they said our room wasn't ready, however they were "putting a housekeeper in there right now". With that, they picked up a 2-way radio and spoke to the head housekeeper.
Our room was on the first floor, on the wing to the right of the front desk. While we were waiting for the room to be readied, I asked them if they had self-service laundry facilities, which they did. I purchased the tokens ($1 each to wash and dry) and started a load of laundry. Before our clothes were dry our room was ready. Our room was 1/2 the length of the hall from the laundry room, so I could check on things drying easily. The room was appearing a bit dated, however things were clean and fresh smelling. A very nice feature was the kitchenette. Toaster, microwave, full oven/cooktop and a full size fridge at temperature was waiting us. The kitchenette had a bar style eating area adjoining the living room The bedroom and large bath were separated by a door, spitting the spaces. There was a small wall air conditioner in the bedroom portion only. The way the placement was done, it is apparent this was an after-thought to accommodate days of warmer weather with travelers that are accustomed to a/c. We used the a/c, as it was a bit warm during our stay and I like it cooler at nights when I sleep. The beds were comfortable and the vanity area had a large running counter with the bath facilities at it's far end.
The Hotel runs frequent shuttles around the "Circle" (where the Salmon Bake and the Musical Revue are held, along with many gift shops and eateries).
The hotel's on site restaurant provided a lovely afternoon/early evening meal.
I then walked back to the nearest "commercial corner", which is a nice 8-10 minute stroll. There is a Fred Myers (compare it to a Super Wal-Mart, except with friendly people & better quality items) on one side of the street (along with a Taco Bell, for all those that travel to Alaska and can't live without their dose of Cal-Mex fast food. Across the street is a Super Market (maybe Krogers, I don't recall the name)
The rooms are sizable, quiet, comfortable and clean. Yes, they could use a bit of freshing,
But they really met all our needs and the staff was more than helpful.
There is a complimentary use of high speed internet at a computer near the front desk.

• Stayed: June 2007