“Not great food”

Ranked #20 of 243 Restaurants in Fairbanks
Calgary, Canada
“Not great food”
Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

I generally like truckstop diners; so it's not a snobbery-thing that I didn't enjoy this place's offerings.

The service was very slow - with absolutely no follow-up whatsoever. The food was average, at best...and a little on the cold side.

Based on the popularity of the diner, I'm going to assume we arrived on an "off" day.

• Visited June 2013

Weeki Wachee
“The BEST Breakfast ever!!”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

In 1987 myself and 4 other friends found this place by mistake. When we walked in the waitress seated us and brought us coffee and then said help yourself to all the refills you want. The only thing you must do is also offer offee to everyone else in the diner 1st and they will do the same. Needless to say we never wanted for coffee for the remainder of the meal.When she brought out the order it was the served on a plate the size of a platter. Large eggs, bacon,ham, sausage toast hash browns must have weighted 8lbs. It was the best I ever had.Everyone wa very nice and one told a story on a holdup and showed us a hole in the ceiling with circles around it and we asked what was that for. She said she shot one in the air to make sure it was loaded before she ran after and shot the robber in the parking lot. Can't wait to go back again!!!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Joseph K
Sutton Alaska
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good place to eat”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

The food is good. The service is great. The coffee is fresh and hot. What more could you ask for? Shopping? There is a little convenience store on the side. They have showers. And you can sleep in your car in the lot with out fear. It's the last stop before Coldfoot. I like to eat there and see my friends. It's a good place to find out what the driving conditions are on the haul road. I usually fill my tank up there too.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank MHS40
Fairbanks, Alaska
“PIE”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Went hear yesterday after hearing about how great their pie is. When we got there it was small and quiet, only 3 other couples in the restaurant. The waitress said their cook has just quit that day and walked out on them. We didn't order any meal, we had just judged a chili contest an hour before so we went straight to the Dutch Apple Pie a-la-mode. They brought a huge slice of pie and a generous helping of vanilla ice cream out. Both my wife and I shared the slice and both had more than enough. You could tell it was all home made too, no canned or boxed stuff in the pie filing. We weren't sure about the crust, didn't seem to be store bought but couldn't be positive. Either way it was pretty good and we would definitely recommend it to anyone headed north out of town or just looking for a pit stop on a Sunday drive. Not much for atmosphere, but it is a truck stop in the middle of nowhere Alaska.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank allg00dnamesaretaken
Arizona
“Delicious--Again”
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Wanted to come back for another meal after my first stop in 2012, and was able to visit again twice in January 2013. First meal was a wonderful cod fish'n'chip meal that was their special of the day--portion was HUGE, breading was light and the fish was delicious. Returned once more for a french toast/bacon/hash brown breakfast that was very good--again, portion was generous and lasted for more than one meal.

Stopped at their convenient general store adjacent to the restaurant before heading back down to Fox and then up to Cleary Summit. Again, sat at the counter and enjoyed the conversation with various staff. Will be back to the area next year, and Hilltop Truck Stop is definitely still on my list of places to visit!

Visited January 2013