“Best experience of my life”

Alaskiwi Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Come join us for an exhilarating dog sled ride with our friendly and lovable alaskan husky's. we will quietly slice our way thru snow draped spruce forest trails ,crossing frozen lakes and ponds along open areas.Sometimes moose and other local wildlife can be spotted. we specialize in 1 hour tours but can do private tours tailored to individual requests. Price $95 per person per hour for dog sled rides. price $110 for Dogsled / sno machine combo rides. This ride is for groups of two or more and involves both the snogo and dogsled ride during a 1 hour tour.Equal time spent on dog sled and snogo
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Simply put, this was fantastic.

Being out in the Alaskan wilderness with no sounds but the dogs panting was the most peaceful experience, while the adrenalin racing dips and turns really got the heart racing!

The cabins were warm, clean and beautiful, with outlooks over snowy forests.

Simon the guide, was always reassuring, confident and professional. We felt safe and in good hands the entire trip.

The dogs are so gentle and beautiful each with their own personality and oh so photogenic. Us cat people actually bonded with the dogs, they work so hard and just want affection (and food) in return.

The food was always delicious and filling.

We were provided with warm clothes and never really felt the freezing weather.

All in all we felt looked after and it was one of the most enjoyable and rewarding experiences of our lives.

Thank you!

in 5 reviews
"denali adventure"
"dog sledding"
in 13 reviews
"highly recommend to anyone visiting"
"excellent adventure"
"once in a lifetime"
in 56 reviews
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 8 April 2014

We had the best time mushing with Simon! We are a couple in our mid 30's who love adventure travel. One of my "bucket list" items was to dog sled. I didn't want to do a ride along or some quick one hour ride. I wanted us to have a real experience, driving our own sled & interacting with the dogs. The morning of our adventure I woke up to a nasty ear infection. When we arrived at Simon's he immediately offered to reschedule for the next day. We were flying out the next day & I was too excited to give up on this adventure. I wasn't sure how long my energy would hold but as soon as we got out with the dogs I was energized & had the best time. Simon has plenty of gear if you need warmer clothes. You want your snow boots to be a bit big as your feet will get really cold if your toes are at the top of the boot. I had to switch out the boots I brought for a pair of Simon's because I ordered my shoe size & my toes were freezing. We had four dog teams pulling our sleds & we rode through forests & over creeks & ponds. The scenery was beautiful & we even saw a couple of moose as we cruised along! The dogs are super friendly & amazingly powerful.Simon was very kind & a good teacher. Driving the team was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I am a small women at 5ft & I had no trouble. The dogs are well trained & I just followed Simon's directions.Shifting your body weight & center seems to be the key. I actually think being smaller is an advantage. Simon checked up on how I was feeling regularly & really let us decide how we wanted to spend the day. He had plenty of snacks, lunch meat & cheese packed, & could also make warm drinks which was nice. He was very safety conscious & we felt like we were in good hands. He really loves his dogs & you can tell they are well cared for. After we returned from our ride we helped feed the dogs & relaxed in front of the wood stove in his house with warm drinks. He really is a super nice guy & you come away from the day feeling like you have had a genuine experience & not just a tourist activity. I would recommend a day long experience or an overnight trip. The longer you can go out the more richer I think the experience would be. I am not a tent camping kinda girl but I enjoyed my experience with Simon & the dogs so much that I think I would like to try an overnight trip in the future (without an ear infection of course)! Thanks for the great memories Simon!

BTW If you have a Go Pro or Contour Roam you can get some cool videos. Your hands are not always free to take photos since your driving the sled but we were able to capture the moose we saw on our Contour "headband" as we flew by. Simon will also take photos for you if you like.

3  Thank Brina_t4
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This was the highlight of my trip to Alaska. I was looking for a real Alaskan experience and got everything I hoped for and more from my dog sledding ride with Simon and Chris. When we arrived we were greeted by Simon and Chris and welcomed inside their log cabin to change into serious cold weather gear including boots, pants and jackets. The sled ride itself was breathtaking. The scenery was amazing as we followed the trails thru the Spruce tree's. The dogs were amazing and zipped along at a great pace which made for a thrilling ride. Simon was great, stopping and taking photo's of us and sharing his knowledge of the region. We also had the chance to ride on a snow machine, as my partner and I took turns in the dog sled. After the sled ride we enjoyed a hot drink back in their cabin. Simon then gave us the opportunity to feed the dogs and get some great photo's with them. I highly recommend this activity and want to thank Simon and Chris for making us feel so welcome and giving us an authentic Alaskan experience we will never forget!

3  Thank Nicole W
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I have had the immense pleasure of spending over 2months with Simon and Chris of The Denali Adventures and the wonderfully friendly dogs. I would recommend this experience to anyone with a sense of adventure, a love of animals and the outdoors. Simon is a relaxed yet talented, experienced and welcoming musher with real compassion for his dogs and a willing patience towards those less accustomed to such escapades (like me!). I have learned a lot, experienced some of the vast expanse of the stunning Alaskan scenery and its wildlife whilst making warm companions in Simon and his dog team. The dogs are all beautiful, fun and friendly; each with his or her own unique personality and sense of humour! So, put your adventure cap on and join in the fun! You will not regret the experience.

1  Thank Helen M