“Love, love ...it!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Muzzy's Place Dogsled Adventure - Day Tours

Muzzy's Place Dogsled Adventure - Day Tours
Ranked #30 of 51 Tours in Fairbanks
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Muzzys Place Kennel and Sleddog Adventures. We are a full service sleddog tour company offering short rides, longer rides, half day, and full day trips.Bring your sense of adventure, your underlayers, warm socks and join us. We can provide outerwear to include bunny boots to keep your feet warm, bibs and parka, mushers hat, neck gaiter and mitts as needed. If you have your own gear, that's fine, too. Remember, do not wear cotton because it doesn't wick moisture, keep you warm or isolate you from the cold. Please only wear synthetics, wool or silk layers under the outerwear. We do have hand/foot warmers if needed. You can be as involved as you'd like… we can teach you how to harness and hook up your team if you'd like to help or you can watch and take photos as we hook up the teams. We will run any day provided that the weather is not too cold. Our cutoff and yours might be different, but if properly dressed starting with the first layer, you should be fine to about -30. We have access to beautiful trails right from our kennel and can take you on a fantastic scenic tour as short as 1 hour or as long as you'd like We are ready when you are to take you on an adventure of a lifetime and hope to provide you with enjoyment and stories you can share with your family and friends for a long time to come.
Rochester, Minnesota
“Love, love ...it!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

It was one of the most wonderful and amazing experiences we ever had!! Our guide, Eric is awesome!! He is very knowledgeable and patient. We learned a lot from him about dog mushing. We love their dogs, they are very friendly and smart. We wished we had a longer tour with them. We definitely will go out with them again when we go back to Alaska. Thanks to Lori from Mount Aurora Lodge who booked this great tour for us !!

Visited March 2014

Summit, New Jersey
“Experience of A Lifetime”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Muzzy’s dog sled is one of the best and exciting trips my wife and I ever had (we had other dog sled tour before). We mushed through more than 100 miles of scenic Alaskan wildness in five days. Our five day dog mushing trip is definitely the experience of a lifetime.

I recommend Muzzy’s based three reasons: the owners, the dogs, and the route.

Eric, our guide, is an amazing instructor and has made us feel like family. He is the main reason that we chose Muzzy’s over other options. Right from the start when we spoke to Eric over the phone, he was very patient to address all our concerns. During our trip, he had also proven to be also very knowledgeable, instrumental, and down-to-earth. Jan, Eric’s wife, is also an amazing host. If you want to learn how to shoot aurora pictures along the way, you should get a photography class from Jan beforehand. Jan offers photography classes and has won numerous prizes with her pictures.

Muzzy’s dogs are very friendly, gentle, and smart. Even though my wife and I had dogs before, our previous dogs were not as gentle as Muzzy’s dogs. Every morning and evening, my wife and I helped to prepare food and feed the dogs. We spent more than six hours every day with the dogs and quickly had grown to love them so much by the end of tour that it was difficult to say good bye.

The scenery along the route was phenomenal. During the trip, we camped overnight on a frozen pond, stayed in two rustic cabins, traversed on ice covered rivers, and even traveled to do grocery shopping at local stores with our dog teams. It was funny to see how other tourists keep taking pictures of us at those local stores.

Suggestions:
• Listen to Eric’s instructions carefully in the beginning and ask questions. You do not want to run yourself and your dog team into ditches
• If you are not an outdoorsy person, you probably want to tell Eric that you want to stay in a cabin instead of a camp. Camping overnight over a frozen pond was initially a shock to us who were not used to camping. However, it then became the most memorable experience and we learned to love it.

Visited March 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
“So much fun, such great memories, absolutely amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

We were recommended to Muzzy's Place by B&B host Lori of Mount Aurora Lodge (check out my other review of them) and it did not disappoint. Eric and Jan were everything we could have asked for as hosts and guides. We booked a tour for one o'clock, which unfortunately was delayed due to weather conditions and the previous group arriving late. Nevertheless, Jan entertained us immensely with her encyclopedia-like knowledge of dog-sledding, as she has been in several races and knows pretty much everyone in the mushing community. When we went out to prepare for our tours, just being among the dozens of dogs was joy itself. They are friendly and well-trained and it's easy to see why Jan and Eric would devote their careers to them. The ride itself had gorgeous scenery, and I was able to learn an immense amount about dog mushing from Eric on the hour-long tour. Being provided with extra cold-weather gear also ensured that the ride very comfortable, and the only time I was cold was when I got out to try mushing the team. When we finished with the tour (which was about 4:30), Jan immediately came and prepared hot cocoa and coffee, and they even invited us to stay for dinner. Other reviews have said that Muzzy's Place treats you like family, and that's absolutely true: Jan ended up giving us a bunch of aurora information, and even texted us in the following nights with any aurora information she had. All in all, it was a delightful experience, not only for the dog-sledding but because of this warm and wonderful couple we met.

Visited December 2013
Portland, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Muzzy's is Magnificent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

Eric and Jan and all of their amazing dogs made our Alaskan adventure totally amazing!! Their generosity, knowledge and treatment of the dogs made the entire experience unforgettable (the same cannot be said for all mushers). Bring your camera and you'll get some great shots from the very comfortable and warm sled. Feed the dogs along the way and be prepared for a memorable ride!!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Deb M
Fairbanks, Alaska
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A+ Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

My husband and I are new to Alaska and wanted to experience the alaskan experience. One of my favorite things about alaska is the people and the kindness everyone seems to share. This day put my love of this state on a whole nother level. We went today and havent stopped smiling. From the moment you get in the area you know you are truly in alaska. The family is amazing, kind, very knowledgeable. Beautiful trails, dogs and property. I loved it so much I wanted to keep Eric and Jan as forever friends because that is how you instantly feel when you arrive. I have so many wonderful things id like to say but I would need an hour to go through it all. This is a must do if you are planning on visiting.

Visited December 2013