“I didn't do my homework”

The Alaska Salmon Bake at Pioneer Park
Ranked #37 of 99 things to do in Fairbanks
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Milford, Connecticut
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“I didn't do my homework”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This may be unfair to give the Salmon Bake an average rating, but as it turned out it was not what I had expected. I expected the dinner and show to be in doors as other ones we have been to. The fact that it was raining literally put a damper on the event. I told my wife we were going to a dinner show and she dressed accordingly. (no jeans for the first time in a week).Big mistake. When we arrived at the location (which is another story) only to find the food serving stations outdoors(at least they were protected from the elements).Needless to say, my wife attired in a summer dress and sandals was cold and wet by the time we got our food and ate in the roofed building. There was another building we changed to which had a heater in it so we could dry out before our show which was going to be at the Palace Theatre. The confirmation I received when I made reservations for the dinner gave me an address for the Alaska Salmon Bake -Palace Theatre-Pick'N Poke Gift Shop as 3175 College Rd Fairbanks. That is the location I went to. When we got there, it was obvious this was not the correct location. Fortunately there was a phone number to call and was told that location was the OFFICE address and the dinner was to be at Pioneer Park. Nowhere in my e mailed confirmation were directions to the actual location of the event.
The food at the dinner was fine…all you can eat, salmon, crab legs and the usual sides that go with them. The show itself at the Palace Theatre was entertaining. A song and dance presentation of a little history of the area. All in all, the experience was a story to tell and another part of our Alaskan Adventure.

1 Thank Vincent Z

• Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Interesting”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

All you can eat Salmon, prime ribs and fried cod. It is not fine dining with white table clothes etc. It's a buffet, where you can eat either under the trees or in a dining hall. They do try to keep it the place clean and the food is tasty. I think the dessert can be improved.

1 Thank Iratherbetravelling
Terre Haute, Indiana
“Great food!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Excellent. Great food, beautiful setting. Don't miss it! I was truly surprised how good it was...not a tourist trap like Santa House.

Visited July 2014
Ottawa, Canada
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Good Food”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Food was good, but the Golden Heart Revue Show was the height of the entire evening. We found that there was really nothing special about the "all you can eat" prime rib & salmon. It was tasty, but expensive. However, you should definitely take in the Golden Heart Revue, which was part of the meal package.

Fort Myers, Florida
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Salmon Bake in the rain”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The weather could not dampen either spirits or appetites at the Salmon Bake. It was my goal to eat as much Alaska salmon as possible while on vacation, and this was, without a doubt, the BEST! The Salmon Bake is a nightly affair, and is served buffet style. The highlite was the salmon, cooked to perfection over an open grill. Best part? It's all you can eat! If you are a salmon lover, do not miss this!

Visited September 2013