“A gem in the Alaskan interior”

Pike's Waterfront Lodge
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 May 2011

From the moment you walk into this hotel you are at home. Was greeted by Amanda at the front desk, she couldn't have been more professional, she told me all about the hotel and answered all the silly questions I had. Later in the evening I needed to go downtown they made it so easy the driver was attentive and polite delivered me right where I needed to be and was prompt to bring me back to the hotel. Everyone I came across at this hotel was kind, friendly and so helpful. I was spending a weekend with my partner and the service at Pike's was what made it the best time I have had in a long time. Room was spotless and I was amazed that everyone in the halls, at breakfast and at the restaurant next door was open and had that famous Fairbanks friendly style. I will be back for a great Fairbanks getaway! Next time I'll ask for the Jacuzzi Room what fun that will be.

Room Tip: Just ask they will help you out
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Pike's Waterfront Lodge

Reviewed 12 May 2011

Our school, Career Education Center, had our senior banquet at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, in the Binkley Room. We were very impressed with the friendly, quick, and very competent service. The food was quite good -- served on time, savory, and cooked perfectly. Plus, there was plenty of food for all! We all loved the Binkley Room. This banquet room, with its tall windows, overlooks the Chena River and in the spring it's very beautiful outside. We are quite happy with our experience and hope to book for next year as well.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Our UAF CEM Annual Awards Banquet for 110 guests ending up being a super nice event. The Prime Rib and Halibut was first rate , on time and delicious. The buffet style (2-lines) went quickly and easily. The catering manager, Ursula, was super easy to work with, and all the staff was great!

I was able to bring in a String Trio for music, decorated cakes, and our own appetizers. They supplied the extra plates and utentsils, served the cake, and washed our appetizer trays.

Everyone seemed to have a good time! I received many comments on how nice the event was.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
rugosarose, Director of Sales at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2011

Thank you for your comments; I think the flexibility that Pike’s offers in its catering is one of our strong points. We truly want to ensure that you have a good event. The Binkley Room is a beautiful room for special events as well as for a lovely riverside setting for the regular restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back to Pike’s. Deborah

Reviewed 30 April 2011

For several years the Salvation Army has held their annual dinner/auction fundraiser at this hotel. We have been very pleased with the staff, service, and quality of food. Ursula, Catering mansger has taken wonderful care of us. We will be using the hotel next year. She has worked well with us to display out auction items and has been so helpful with location of auctioneer stand, "mike", etc.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
rugosarose, Director of Sales at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2011

Thank you very much for your compliments regarding the catering and service at the hotel. I agree with you that Ursula does an excellent job with the setup in the rooms and the food service. We appreciate your business and returning next year. Deborah

Reviewed 26 April 2011

We have stayed at Pike's in August and September for the past several years. The setting on the Chena River is beautiful. The rooms and cabins are first class. We have taken many guests to Alaska and always begin and end our travels with a stay at Pikes. The artwork in the common areas is fascinating and provides an "Old Alaska" ambiance to the place. Food and drink are very good and are an excellent value. I just booked our 2011 reservations.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a River veiw.
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
rugosarose, Director of Sales at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2011

Thank you for your kind comments on Pike’s. I too think that the artwork is exceptional at Pike’s. For example, we had a Fred Machetanze painting in a touring Smithsonian art show a few years ago. I love the art in the fireplace room and the Steve Gordon painting of the Birch Forest. Our food service and catering staff appreciates the compliments. Thanks for coming back to Pike’s.
Deborah

Reviewed 25 April 2011

I have run several events using the Binkley Room at Pike's and have always been pleased with how attentive and helpful the staff is - from the organized and knowledgeable banquet manager to the people setting up tables and serving food. As an event planner, it makes a huge difference to work with staff you can depend on. The large windows overlooking the Chena River are, day or night, such a lovely backdrop for an event, not like windowless caverns in other facilities. If you are maxing out at about 130 people then the size of the full room is great. A few minor things could be addressed to make this even better for my events: a proper on-site AV cart, so you can bring and place your equipment on it (instead of bringing your cart, as well!.) Second microphone, with cord, that could plug into room's sound system. Better lighting by fireplace in the center of the room - last 4 events we've wanted to use that area for the podium, a natural location, since the room is very long and narrow. But the lighting was not designed for that and it was a little awkward. Foodwise, the kitchen makes their specialities very, very well. If you have a menu of your own you want them to adapt for your wedding or party or something, it won't work too well in my experience, although they will try - better stick to their menu and you'll be fine. I have to point out that these are all minor things and the ambience and staff can't be beat!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 April 2011

We traveled to Fairbanks to visit our nephew before he goes overseas.
Rented a car at the airport and actually saw another hotel before we got to
Pike's but it was passed by us as it was on an inconvenient frontage road
with no entrance in sight.
Anyway, glad that brought us to Pike's. It is as charming and friendly a place
as you could ever wish for!!
Front desk, efficient and friendly.
Sleeping room, tastefully decorated and very clean.
Continental breakfast, the nicest I have seen (the grapefruit & bing cherries, YUM)
The breakfast hostess was Donna, a lovely hostess and proud hockey Mom.
The lobby, breathtaking with original art and Alaskan animal mounts !! Wow.
Free ice cream and cookies.
The Restaurant next door had the best Beer Battered Halibut that I have ever had.
The hotel grounds are immaculate.
These people know how to do it right.
Thank you.
We will be back!

• Stayed: April 2011
rugosarose, Director of Sales at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2011

Dear Galena, Illinois person:
Thank you for your review and we are very happy that you like the food and service. I like the Thomas English muffins for breakfast and make your own waffles myself. In the summer, if you come back, we switch to a paid buffet breakfast. Ursula, our food service and catering Manager does a great job the entrees. We hope that your nephew stays safe overseas and that you return to Pike’s. Thanks again, Deborah