“Great for Business Travel”

Pike's Waterfront Lodge
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
GreenLeadersSilver level
Anchorage
“Great for Business Travel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2007

I always try to stay at Pike's when I'm in Fairbanks (Bearflanks, Squarebanks) on business. Great value (comfort, service, breakfast, amenities, price). The service level is very good, the beds are great, the free breakfast is generous with a good variety, they are usually flexible on early check-in and late check-out, and it's close to the airport. The exercise room is clean and adequate. The decor and layout is nicely Alaskan, with original Alaskan artwork in a tasteful setting; Pike's is a refreshing break from the Hilton/Marriott big box hotel world.

The lobby has some well appointed nooks for client meetings, and meeting rooms for various size functions. Dinner next door at Pike's Landing is always a hit with clients. Make sure you ask for a room with wireless Internet, because I think the wifi doesn't reach all rooms.

I like spending my money in local businesses, so it's nice to hear that Pike's is owned by a member of the AK Legislature, and that they won an award for Employer of the Year for small business. While I've never had a problem, if the hotel screws up (and that happens with every business) the hotel is invested enough in its local reputation to make things right.

• Liked — Local company with high service level. They understand they have to be competitive.
  • Disliked — Far from downtown.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank AKFishLipRipper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Dulles, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2007

I travel no less than monthly for my job and typically stay at Hilton or Sheraton properties. I had no idea what to expect while traveling through Alaska. My experiences at Pikes Lodge were greater than I could have expected. The facility is rustic as it should be but is filled with breathtaking original art work consistent with where you are. The lobby area is decorated with an eclectic mix of furnishing that is very interesting and help you pass a rainy day. The rooms are simple but quite comfortable and quiet. The back of the hotel is on the Chena River and I enjoyed seeing wildlife to include Eagles almost daily. It was hard to believe that you are just a few minutes from the airport. The housekeeping staff is friendly, trustworthy and efficient. I never found a thing that was neglected or out of place. My stay required that I check in and out of the hotel several times during my two weeks in state. The front desk staff had my itinerary down to the last detail and happily made last minute adjustments as I needed, while still dealing with the throngs of cruise ship patrons who were in and out each day. Laundry services provided by the facility were efficient and reasonable. (The self laundry in the hotel could use an update). The breakfast buffet (which is seasonal) had a broad selection and was very good for 10.95 a meal. (Although the selection was good, some different items would have been nice from day to day, However, I was there for 2 weeks) Pikes Landing restaurant was a welcome site each night when I got "home". The food is good and the taps are great if you like micro brews. Don’t miss their Sunday brunch which is outstanding and be sure to have a Spicy Bloody Mary with their infused vodka. If you find a better bar manger than Keri (hope I spelled it correctly) I will be amazed. Actually most all of the staff is fantastic. The icing on the Pikes cake was meeting Phyllis on my last day who forwarded my questions about a return stay and how to acquire a piece of art work found in the hotel. After days of searching, Christena sent me an email with all of the information that I required. I can’t remember ever having someone at a chain hotel actually follow up with me like that. I also heard that renovations are coming to include flat screens in the main lodge rooms and other up grades that I did not think were necessary, but will be nice. I hope to go back next year for some fishing rather than work and will definitely stay with the fine folks at Pikes Waterfront Lodge.

• Liked — Location and the staff.
  • Disliked — No internet access.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank AndyVA
Marco Island, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2007

After reading the previous reviews we couldn't believe that we stayed on the same property! We were assigned to a wonderfully romantic log cabin (#16) with luxurious comforters, matching window drapes, and decorative pillows and bolsters. The beds were deep and comfortable, crisp and clean, and the interior of the cabin had real polished log walls. The atmosphere was wonderful and we had a mini kitchenette, to boot! We were here three nights, after spending two nights at the Princess, and the Pike even sent their courtesy van over to the Princess to pick us up. After a day in Denali on tour, they also sent the van to pick us up and return us to the hotel at the end of the tour day. Our only complaint was the dining room, which had to serve a large group of people, at the same time every morning, and was not very organized at running us through smoothly. The food was bland and unappetizing and the only choice was a $15. buffet. After paying that price, more times than not, the dishes were empty by the time we arrived in line. Not a great way to start the day! Other than the dining room we had no complaints and we ate several meals at the restaurant next door, overlooking the Chena River. The Pike provided a well-lit walkway to the restaurant and we found the food to be very good and reasonable. If we were to be in Fairbanks, again, we would not hesitate to request a cabin at the Pike. We felt as if we had been to the real Alaska when we left!

• Liked — The cozy cabins on the river!
  • Disliked — The dining room - food was bad and the place was poorly run!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank MarcoMom17
Central Florida, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2007

I'm sad to read the other reviews about Pike's Lodge. We stayed there for 2 nights, Aug. 28 & 29th, 2007. It was part of a cruise land tour, so we didn't have a say in what hotel we were going to be staying in, yet we had no preference, as we knew nothing about Fairbanks, except that it is a very small, wilderness city. We were very pleased with our room (2nd floor, balcony, river view). The room was clean, not over-sized (but this is Alaska), and reasonable space for 2 people for 2 nights. We ate 2 dinners at the Pike's restaurant next door and loved the food (one waiter was unfriendly), would HIGHLY recommend the dining experience. We ate breakfast at the hotel our last morning. They seemed unprepared for all the tour buses leaving in the AM hours, and there was confusion about seating, etc. But, once that was rectified, the breakfast bar was wonderful - anything you could think of was offered. It was presented very well, especially for a "small Alaskan town" hotel. I think, sometimes, people go on a vacation in "high season" and are shocked to find so many people, confusion, etc. Sometimes I wonder what people expect in a "wilderness" type vacation area - this is NOT California - we would book this hotel next time in Fairbanks.

• Stayed August 2007
2 Thank FlaTraveler
Colorado Springs, CO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2007

We stayed at this hotel on August 3, 2007. It was a totally horrible experience. When we arrived, it was obvious our bathroom floor had not been cleaned and we quickly phoned for someone to come do that. It was still done poorly, and I still cleaned up black long hair before using it. After returning later that evening, we pulled back our sheets to discover that the beds had been made but the sheets not changed. There was fresh blood on one of the beds. We immediately demanded a new room. Which we received and again pulled back the sheets and showed the staff that the beds had been made but not cleaned. There were dozens of hairs on the sheets and pillow cases. We received a lower grade room (without fridge, micro, etc.) and on the ground floor. But at least the sheets were clean. We were not credited anything nor apologized to. We checked with our traveling mates and they too were suspicious that their sheets were not cleaned since the last guests. One of my party had bug bites on one arm. This is not a low-priced hotel ($140/night), yet they clearly are extremely unclean and unsanitary and unapologetic.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank SkiFreakCO
LovesAlaska, marketing and sales director at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this review, 5 December 2007
Please accept our apologies for your less-than satisfactory experience. At Pike's Waterfront Lodge, we pride ourselves on our service and attention to detail. Please be assured that we have taken corrective measures to prevent similar occurrences in the future. Due to the unfortunate series of events during your stay, we have implemented new policies for our housekeeping staff and inspectors to insure that our guests check into rooms that are thoroughly clean. In your case, your room was cleaned as a stay over rather than as a new guest check in. We always take steps to attempt to rectify problems whenever possible.

It should be noted, that you did receive an apology, in person, at the hotel, from the General Manager. You also did receive a written letter of apology from the General Manager after your departure in conjunction with a full refund of your room charges to your credit card.

Finally, the only bug bites your friend could have received in Fairbanks during your stay were from mosquitos.

Deborah Hansen
Jupiter, Fl
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2007

Pike's reservation was part of a package and we had a paid voucher for the night there. When we arrived in Fairbanks, we were told we were being put in another facility because Pike's was filled up. We were assured it was as nice as Pikes. After a very long wait, Pike's van picks up up and deposits us at the other motel. No lounge, no restaurant, very small room, certainly not the type of facility we had signed up for and paid for. We were told to use the Pike's van. Called for van to take us to dinner. After very long wait, called again. Were told van was leaving immediately to pick us up. A minute later, observed van driving on main road to airport. Called again, and were told van was just leaving to pick us up (obviously untrue). Took van from motel we were put in, shared with another couple that were "bounced" by Pike's and were equally unhappy. Later talked to Pike's General Manager and asked for a refund. She assured us she would call back. Told her we were staying at Sophie's Station (great place) for next 4 nights. No call from Pike's. Left 3-4 messages on voicemail with no response. Very shabby treatment. Interesting to note similiar thread in some of the other reviews.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank CharliebJupiter
Hello-I am the person who overbooks the hotel. In order for us to stay in business, we, like every other hotel that I know of in Alaska, overbooks rooms in the summertime. Usually, the room cancellations work out to keep us full without walking a guest to another hotel. The last two summers, we have had an unexpectedly high number of guests who became ill and who traveled with individuals who were ill and in one case this year, had surgery. Since Fairbanks was very popular the past two summers, a relatively small glitch in tralve plans meant that someone, in this case, you, were moved. The General Manager, Patty Weaver did make several attempts to contact you. I was present for one of those attempts. She did leave messages for you, none of which were apparently delivered to you. We did not offer you a refund since you were with a package tour group, moved you to equivalent accommodations and you were satisfied with them. We did leave a message that we had a room for you at Pike's which we did hold for you. I have no explanation for the van since we have two to three vans running during the summer. I am sorry that you were unhappy with Pike's.

Deborah Hansen
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2007

I live in Anchorage and find myself traveling to Fairbanks throughout the year and have stayed at Pike's in all seasons. I expected to not enjoy myself there in the summer because of all of the tourists, but I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were clean and comfortable. I was lucky to check in when there were not big groups around. I had dinner at the restaurant next door that is also called Pikes. It was delicious. The amenities are Aveda which is such a nice touch. There is plenty of parking and I even had view of the river. All in all it was a great experience that I could recommend to anyone.

Stayed June 2007