“Cozy Home Base for Aura Chasing”

Pike's Waterfront Lodge
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Fairbanks
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My wife and I traveled up to Fairbanks in hopes of seeing the Aura Borealis back in February '13, and we stayed at Pike's Waterfront Lodge for 3 nights. Our accommodation criteria was: warm, comfortable, and affordable. Pike's is just that and more.

Overall, the interior has a unique Alaskan charm with friendly/helpful staff and clean/cozy rooms. With the weather colder than I could ever imagine outside, we opted for a room with an in-room jacuzzi on the ground floor that overlooked the frozen river. The jacuzzi is awesome. My only gripe about the room was that it would get really warm at night even when with the thermostat under control. We had to crack the back door a little to let in just enough of the sub-freezing air to balance the heat, which did the trick. I'm sure one of the hotel employees might have been able to help us out, but we never asked. Although, I did ask for a bottle opener to open my wine in the middle of the night before we went out to chase some auras, and they were practically at our door as soon as I hung up the telephone.

We had rented a car, and Pike's was located outside of the city, but within close proximity. Next door is an amazing restaurant with the some of the best crab chowder I've ever had.

If we're ever back up in Fairbanks in the winter, we would definitely go back to Pike's.

Almost forgot, they have free ice cream vouchers for each night of your stay. Ice cream in the winter sounds strange, but it was a nice treat.

Room Tip: Rooms with jacuzzi s are awesome in the winter.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,266)

Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Pike's in the off season has a great free breakfast bar. They also offer free ice cream in the afternoons (although I always miss it). Though it is close to the airport, the rooms are incredibly soundproofed against aircraft noise. The rooms also tend to be too hot when it is too cold outside, but that is common in AK. Open a window, and things cool right down. Conveniently located near the airport, it is a great location if you are flying in late.

This next part is not intended as an indictment against Pike's, because this could happen to any hotel, and they handled the situation well. But I did get nailed by bedbugs here. The first guy at the front desk blew me off like I was a hypochondriac whiner, but when I finally spoke with the manager the next day, and displayed my bite marks, she knew what to do. They comped me for the luggage that I threw into the dump, upgraded me to one of their finest bug-free rooms, and were so nice to me, it was like they were afraid or something. Hmmm.... Housekeeping did reportedly find a few dead and a couple live bedbugs. Perhaps they narrowly avoided an infestation. The room (#210) has since been fumigated. Look between the mattress and wall wherever you stay, and if you wake with small red bite marks in rows of 3-4, freak out! Don't take any of your gear back into your car or home unbagged until you do your research. You DO NOT want even one bug or sticky egg making its way into your inner sanctum. My parka and shoes remain bagged up in my deep freeze for another week, just to be safe.

Oh, they also have a nice view of the Chena River and a nice stuffed mallard in the lobby.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank AKGRB
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Our stay at Pike's was peaceful and pleasant.
The rooms are great and well maintained. The place itself is located quite scenically by the river and the atmosphere in the place is very cozy and friendly.
The breakfast room and service was good but the buffet itself was somewhat over priced , esp since we don't do heavy morning meals.

The lodge itself is very near the airport which was helpful for car rental. Also, the shuttle service they offered to and from the rail depot and airport was great.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We spent 4 days at Pikes in September, had a wonderful time, the lodge's location was centrally located to all of the various attractions. The staff was marvelous, always friendly and helpful, of a particular note was the young lady who was charged with keeping the breakfast buffet replenished. i later learned that her name was Crystal, she always had a smile even with all of the demands that some of the guests requested. Lobby and rooms were well appointed and clean, particularly loved the warm, fresh baked cookies.

Room Tip: Request river front room
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We chose this Lodge based on other TA reviews. We stayed here for 2 nights after coming off of a Cruise/Land Tour. We rented a car to see the sights in Fairbanks. The Manager, Patty Weaver was particularly helpful even before we arrived. I emailed her with several questions about the breakfast and about car rentals in the area. She wrote me back and I could tell that she took pride in her job. She was very helpful in directing us towards a car rental company and answered all of my questions about the Lodge. When we arrived, we were struck with a sense of nostalgia. The Lobby was decorated with over stuffed leather arm chairs and sofas. The walls and rooms in the lobby were adorned with paintings, stuffed animal heads, flowers, a fireplace and all kinds of things from the 50's that gave it a cozy nostalgic feel. The staff at the desk was friendly and offered to give us a wake up call if the Northern Lights appeared. Our room was a Deluxe Riverview King with a small Loveseat sitting area and had a desk, a large double set of drawers, a TV and all bathroom amenities. The room was nicely decorated, clean and very comfortable for two. Upon check in we were given wooden tokens to be used for a free scoop of home made ice cream that was served every evening. It WAS home made and delicious. It was the best Chocolate chip ice cream I have ever had with huge chewy chunks of chocolate. Breakfast was included in our room rate as we arrived just as the winter season started (mid Sept. ) It was fairly extensive with fresh oatmeal, grits, fruits, yogurt, cold cereals, breads and home made muffins, scones and cookies. There was a waffle maker, coffees teas & juices. Very nice and more than adequate to get you started for the day. The grounds were neatly kept. There was a putting green, an outdoor hot tub that was covered for the winter. There was a fire pit surrounded with Adirondack chairs. Next door there was a full service Restaurant/Bar with an outdoor driving range and mini golf course. In addition to the rooms in the main lodge, there are cabins on the grounds that face the River. We were only there for 2 nights but thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Be sure to call to make your Reservation as the website did not offer the AAA/AARP rates. I always call the place we are planning to stay in and ask if they honor those rates. Luckily, they did. We will plan to stay here again if in the Fairbanks area.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra for a Riverview Room. It was nice to walk out on the small balcony and check on...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at Pikes this summer on business. I have always loved the setting of this hotel. My room was spacious and very clean - I had a little balcony off my room that allowed me to look out onto the river. The front desk staff was very personable, my room was very clean - breakfast was good and the location was perfect. Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: asked for a room overlooking the river - on the 2nd floor
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I stay at Pikes almost every year....August and September. The most recent visit with friends, 4 rooms, total of 8 days. All aspects of our stay were outstanding. Clean, well appointed rooms, efficient service; responsive staff, unbeatable location. The grounds are magnificent.

Prior to discovering Pikes about ten years ago, I had stayed at most every similar hotel/lodging in Fairbanks. Nothing can compare to Pikes.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends