“Wonderful”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chugiak, Alaska
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

I visited Pike's twice this year: once in September and once in December. This place is fantastic! The lobby area is amazing, the staff is friendly, helpful, and professional. The rooms are spacious and very well maintained. The location is so convenient: just a stone's throw from the airport-the shuttle staff are very polite and accommodating. Then there's the food. Wow! I attempted to explain how delicious the food was to my wife and she told my wife that we'd just have to plan a trip there together so she could experience it for herself. I obviously agreed. Well done Pike's!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
DLHAlaska, Director of Sales at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Thanks for mentioning the food; Ursula does a super job with the breakfast and catering for meetings. I hope that you are able to come back. March is an excellent time to visit Faribanks and see the World Championship Ice Art!
Deborah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
Brunswick, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here. The lobby is really nicely furnished and I actually spent some time there reading in front of their fire. I felt right at home as soon as I checked in. The front desk staff was nice and I was helped out by Christena and Becca. The rooms were really nice and the beds were quite comfortable. All in all, I felt right at home and would definitely stay here again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thanks for your kind words; the fireplace is a great location for relaxing. Sometimes in the evenings, I enjoy catching up on my emails there. I am glad that you took the time to write in about your stay and mentions of Becca and Christena; we will let them know.
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

A very nice hotel with a good view, a lighted River walk, a nice free breakfast which included pastries, bagels, toast, muffins, waffles, fruit, & cereals. They allow pets, which is important to us, since we have a cat we have to take with us whenever traveling. :-) The hotel is very attractive and clean. My complaint is the hard pillows and the bed wasn't very comfortable. Plus we reserved a room with a king sized bed, but all that was available when we got here with a king sized bed was a handicapped room, which we accepted.
We will stay here again if we go back to Fairbanks unless some of the other hotels change their policies and allow a cat.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chattykathy96
Ferndale, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

A nice enough place to stay but I am a bit hard to please. I liked the décor, location, the bed and the size of the room. The shuttle took me anywhere I wanted to go for $5 and that was great!
The smell of the room was not so good.
The restaurant had trouble with my not eating wheat or dairy. Most of the time places like this are excited I decided to try and eat there since I can't eat much. It seemed more like these guys were wondering why I bothered to come by since I can't eat much. After my meal it felt like I had eaten butter.
I really thought I booked a room at $139 but was charged $146. I can't remember though as reservations were made over the phone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Cris W
DLHAlaska, Director of Sales at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thanks for writing. We investigated your comment on the odor of the room that you stayed in and couldn't find or rather smell anything so we think that perhaps the previous guest had some odoriferous food? Anyway, we will pass along your food comments to Pike's Landing re gluten free. We are glad that you like the decor though.
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

We enjoyed a one night stay here for a corporate event. First, the location along the river is awesome. In summer it's a beehive of activity and in winter there's a unique ice road to watch nearby. Especially important is that the property is within a mile of the Fairbanks International Airport - super convenient.

The team has done a noticeable job to hire friendly staff and to train them well. Everyone we encountered was a pleasure to speak to.

The rooms are as comfortable as you need in Fairbanks. It's not a luxury hotel. But there's nothing you will find missing. The rooms have small French balconies for fresh air. The beds are good and everything was in working order and perfectly clean.

Note their restaurant is in a separate building. In winter, you'll want to dress warmly for the 5 min walk.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

My wife and I traveled up to Fairbanks in hopes of seeing the Aura Borealis back in February '13, and we stayed at Pike's Waterfront Lodge for 3 nights. Our accommodation criteria was: warm, comfortable, and affordable. Pike's is just that and more.

Overall, the interior has a unique Alaskan charm with friendly/helpful staff and clean/cozy rooms. With the weather colder than I could ever imagine outside, we opted for a room with an in-room jacuzzi on the ground floor that overlooked the frozen river. The jacuzzi is awesome. My only gripe about the room was that it would get really warm at night even when with the thermostat under control. We had to crack the back door a little to let in just enough of the sub-freezing air to balance the heat, which did the trick. I'm sure one of the hotel employees might have been able to help us out, but we never asked. Although, I did ask for a bottle opener to open my wine in the middle of the night before we went out to chase some auras, and they were practically at our door as soon as I hung up the telephone.

We had rented a car, and Pike's was located outside of the city, but within close proximity. Next door is an amazing restaurant with the some of the best crab chowder I've ever had.

If we're ever back up in Fairbanks in the winter, we would definitely go back to Pike's.

Almost forgot, they have free ice cream vouchers for each night of your stay. Ice cream in the winter sounds strange, but it was a nice treat.

Room Tip: Rooms with jacuzzi s are awesome in the winter.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Pike's in the off season has a great free breakfast bar. They also offer free ice cream in the afternoons (although I always miss it). Though it is close to the airport, the rooms are incredibly soundproofed against aircraft noise. The rooms also tend to be too hot when it is too cold outside, but that is common in AK. Open a window, and things cool right down. Conveniently located near the airport, it is a great location if you are flying in late.

This next part is not intended as an indictment against Pike's, because this could happen to any hotel, and they handled the situation well. But I did get nailed by bedbugs here. The first guy at the front desk blew me off like I was a hypochondriac whiner, but when I finally spoke with the manager the next day, and displayed my bite marks, she knew what to do. They comped me for the luggage that I threw into the dump, upgraded me to one of their finest bug-free rooms, and were so nice to me, it was like they were afraid or something. Hmmm.... Housekeeping did reportedly find a few dead and a couple live bedbugs. Perhaps they narrowly avoided an infestation. The room (#210) has since been fumigated. Look between the mattress and wall wherever you stay, and if you wake with small red bite marks in rows of 3-4, freak out! Don't take any of your gear back into your car or home unbagged until you do your research. You DO NOT want even one bug or sticky egg making its way into your inner sanctum. My parka and shoes remain bagged up in my deep freeze for another week, just to be safe.

Oh, they also have a nice view of the Chena River and a nice stuffed mallard in the lobby.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business