“Very comfortable”

Pike's Waterfront Lodge
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Fairbanks
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

For a winter visit to Fairbanks this is quite a value. We stayed two nights and were very pleased with the accommodations and breakfast. Do take some time to sit near the fireplace in the lobby with a book if you can manage some time. Coffee and fresh chocolate chip cookies are waiting for you. Dana, our shuttle driver, was certainly part of the charm!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,281)

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I visited Pike's twice this year: once in September and once in December. This place is fantastic! The lobby area is amazing, the staff is friendly, helpful, and professional. The rooms are spacious and very well maintained. The location is so convenient: just a stone's throw from the airport-the shuttle staff are very polite and accommodating. Then there's the food. Wow! I attempted to explain how delicious the food was to my wife and she told my wife that we'd just have to plan a trip there together so she could experience it for herself. I obviously agreed. Well done Pike's!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
DLHAlaska, Director of Sales at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Thanks for mentioning the food; Ursula does a super job with the breakfast and catering for meetings. I hope that you are able to come back. March is an excellent time to visit Faribanks and see the World Championship Ice Art!

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here. The lobby is really nicely furnished and I actually spent some time there reading in front of their fire. I felt right at home as soon as I checked in. The front desk staff was nice and I was helped out by Christena and Becca. The rooms were really nice and the beds were quite comfortable. All in all, I felt right at home and would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thanks for your kind words; the fireplace is a great location for relaxing. Sometimes in the evenings, I enjoy catching up on my emails there. I am glad that you took the time to write in about your stay and mentions of Becca and Christena; we will let them know.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

A very nice hotel with a good view, a lighted River walk, a nice free breakfast which included pastries, bagels, toast, muffins, waffles, fruit, & cereals. They allow pets, which is important to us, since we have a cat we have to take with us whenever traveling. :-) The hotel is very attractive and clean. My complaint is the hard pillows and the bed wasn't very comfortable. Plus we reserved a room with a king sized bed, but all that was available when we got here with a king sized bed was a handicapped room, which we accepted.
We will stay here again if we go back to Fairbanks unless some of the other hotels change their policies and allow a cat.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chattykathy96
Reviewed 26 November 2013

A nice enough place to stay but I am a bit hard to please. I liked the décor, location, the bed and the size of the room. The shuttle took me anywhere I wanted to go for $5 and that was great!
The smell of the room was not so good.
The restaurant had trouble with my not eating wheat or dairy. Most of the time places like this are excited I decided to try and eat there since I can't eat much. It seemed more like these guys were wondering why I bothered to come by since I can't eat much. After my meal it felt like I had eaten butter.
I really thought I booked a room at $139 but was charged $146. I can't remember though as reservations were made over the phone.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Cris W
DLHAlaska, Director of Sales at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thanks for writing. We investigated your comment on the odor of the room that you stayed in and couldn't find or rather smell anything so we think that perhaps the previous guest had some odoriferous food? Anyway, we will pass along your food comments to Pike's Landing re gluten free. We are glad that you like the decor though.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We enjoyed a one night stay here for a corporate event. First, the location along the river is awesome. In summer it's a beehive of activity and in winter there's a unique ice road to watch nearby. Especially important is that the property is within a mile of the Fairbanks International Airport - super convenient.

The team has done a noticeable job to hire friendly staff and to train them well. Everyone we encountered was a pleasure to speak to.

The rooms are as comfortable as you need in Fairbanks. It's not a luxury hotel. But there's nothing you will find missing. The rooms have small French balconies for fresh air. The beds are good and everything was in working order and perfectly clean.

Note their restaurant is in a separate building. In winter, you'll want to dress warmly for the 5 min walk.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My wife and I traveled up to Fairbanks in hopes of seeing the Aura Borealis back in February '13, and we stayed at Pike's Waterfront Lodge for 3 nights. Our accommodation criteria was: warm, comfortable, and affordable. Pike's is just that and more.

Overall, the interior has a unique Alaskan charm with friendly/helpful staff and clean/cozy rooms. With the weather colder than I could ever imagine outside, we opted for a room with an in-room jacuzzi on the ground floor that overlooked the frozen river. The jacuzzi is awesome. My only gripe about the room was that it would get really warm at night even when with the thermostat under control. We had to crack the back door a little to let in just enough of the sub-freezing air to balance the heat, which did the trick. I'm sure one of the hotel employees might have been able to help us out, but we never asked. Although, I did ask for a bottle opener to open my wine in the middle of the night before we went out to chase some auras, and they were practically at our door as soon as I hung up the telephone.

We had rented a car, and Pike's was located outside of the city, but within close proximity. Next door is an amazing restaurant with the some of the best crab chowder I've ever had.

If we're ever back up in Fairbanks in the winter, we would definitely go back to Pike's.

Almost forgot, they have free ice cream vouchers for each night of your stay. Ice cream in the winter sounds strange, but it was a nice treat.

Room Tip: Rooms with jacuzzi s are awesome in the winter.