“Friendly and comfortable.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Morgan, TX
“Friendly and comfortable.”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

My wife and I spent 2 separate nights here as arranged through our tour. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our impression of the décor when we first walked in was very eclectic, but I guess that is the charisma of this hotel. The rooms were comfortable and clean. If we're ever back up in Fairbanks in the winter, we would go back.

The room on our first evening had 2 queen beds which made the room crowded; just too much furniture for the space. My wife spoke to the front desk about a king bed on our return visit which they graciously accommodated. The shuttle service they offered to and from the rail depot and airport was appreciated, as was the ability to store our extra luggage while we were off to Coldfoot. Both nights we ate dinner at their restaurant next door and neither of us was impressed.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard K
DLHAlaska, Director of Sales at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Thanks for your comments; we are glad that you would come back. Regarding the hotel decorations, Jay, the hotel owner tries to make it an unique and interesting environment so that our guests have a sense of place, that they are in Fairbanks, Alaska and not a plain vanilla hotel chain.
Deborah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Spent a 3-day weekend in Fairbanks at Pike's. This was a "trip home" after being out of Alaska for 15 years after having lived there for 25.

Even with a set of realistic expectations of what Fairbanks as to offer, I would rate Pike's Lodge as "average" by Fairbanks standards. Nice enough and tries hard, but that is about it.

The staff are friendly, the rooms clean (but dated) and the amenities are sufficient. The main upside to Pike's is their attempt to be "green" and Earth-friendly.

Room Tip: In the winter, get a room on the river side to avoid the noise from the airport (though it's not...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
DLHAlaska, Director of Sales at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Thanks for your review. We at Pike's believe that we deliver excellent amenities from the Aveda Aromatherapy bath products to ice cream, cookies, free internet, fridges and microwaves in every room and a 24 hour fitness center as well as a laundry, ATM machine and gift shop with a "secret" candy shop inside as well as the original Alaskan art. These are all the types of amenities that I look for when I travel!
We are glad that you enjoyed your trip and happy that your enjoyed the cleanliness of our hotel; our staff tries very hard.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

For a winter visit to Fairbanks this is quite a value. We stayed two nights and were very pleased with the accommodations and breakfast. Do take some time to sit near the fireplace in the lobby with a book if you can manage some time. Coffee and fresh chocolate chip cookies are waiting for you. Dana, our shuttle driver, was certainly part of the charm!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Chugiak, Alaska
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I visited Pike's twice this year: once in September and once in December. This place is fantastic! The lobby area is amazing, the staff is friendly, helpful, and professional. The rooms are spacious and very well maintained. The location is so convenient: just a stone's throw from the airport-the shuttle staff are very polite and accommodating. Then there's the food. Wow! I attempted to explain how delicious the food was to my wife and she told my wife that we'd just have to plan a trip there together so she could experience it for herself. I obviously agreed. Well done Pike's!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
DLHAlaska, Director of Sales at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Thanks for mentioning the food; Ursula does a super job with the breakfast and catering for meetings. I hope that you are able to come back. March is an excellent time to visit Faribanks and see the World Championship Ice Art!
Brunswick, Maine
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here. The lobby is really nicely furnished and I actually spent some time there reading in front of their fire. I felt right at home as soon as I checked in. The front desk staff was nice and I was helped out by Christena and Becca. The rooms were really nice and the beds were quite comfortable. All in all, I felt right at home and would definitely stay here again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thanks for your kind words; the fireplace is a great location for relaxing. Sometimes in the evenings, I enjoy catching up on my emails there. I am glad that you took the time to write in about your stay and mentions of Becca and Christena; we will let them know.
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed 29 November 2013

A very nice hotel with a good view, a lighted River walk, a nice free breakfast which included pastries, bagels, toast, muffins, waffles, fruit, & cereals. They allow pets, which is important to us, since we have a cat we have to take with us whenever traveling. :-) The hotel is very attractive and clean. My complaint is the hard pillows and the bed wasn't very comfortable. Plus we reserved a room with a king sized bed, but all that was available when we got here with a king sized bed was a handicapped room, which we accepted.
We will stay here again if we go back to Fairbanks unless some of the other hotels change their policies and allow a cat.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chattykathy96
Euclid, Ohio
Reviewed 26 November 2013

A nice enough place to stay but I am a bit hard to please. I liked the décor, location, the bed and the size of the room. The shuttle took me anywhere I wanted to go for $5 and that was great!
The smell of the room was not so good.
The restaurant had trouble with my not eating wheat or dairy. Most of the time places like this are excited I decided to try and eat there since I can't eat much. It seemed more like these guys were wondering why I bothered to come by since I can't eat much. After my meal it felt like I had eaten butter.
I really thought I booked a room at $139 but was charged $146. I can't remember though as reservations were made over the phone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Cris W
DLHAlaska, Director of Sales at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thanks for writing. We investigated your comment on the odor of the room that you stayed in and couldn't find or rather smell anything so we think that perhaps the previous guest had some odoriferous food? Anyway, we will pass along your food comments to Pike's Landing re gluten free. We are glad that you like the decor though.