“Excellent service on the water!”

Pike's Waterfront Lodge
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 August 2010

We arrived at Pike's following a land-cruise tour of Alaska. We were very pleased by these accomodations considering they were included in the cost of the cruise. The rustic feel of the lodge makes it genuinely Alaskan and fun. But beyond the aesthetics we enjoyed a beautifully appointed room with all the amenities including a refirgerator and microwave. The biggest delight came when we needed to package some of our purchases to send via USPS. When I inquired at the front desk about finding a post office, the manager not only gave me information but also gave me packaging tape, scissors and the boxes to use!!! We also asked about a late check-out and were granted one on the spot!!! We were thrilled with the friendliness of all the employees and their willingness to accomodate our leisurely check-out. They readily held our luggage until our rental car arrived and offered us several times to take us in their shuttle downtown or elsewhere. We met Ryan, greenhouse manager, and he took us through the greenhouse and let us sample his black cherry tomatoes! He even helped me with the names of various plants and pointed out the gorgeous flowers. The grounds are like a botanical garden! We also met Dwayne, one of the employees, who was exceptionally friendly and told us about his life in Alaska. We loved seeing the various cabins that are also for rent on this property.
We also ate at the restaurant next door the night we arrived and found the food to be delicious and the desserts were beyond belief and homemade from scratch!!!!! The table right on the deck and the view of the river was incredible! Prices were reasonable considering we also had cocktails. Our waitress (wish I could remember her name) was fabulous!!! She had long brown hair in a pony tail and was quite petite;) We thoroughtly enjoyed out stay and would definitely stay and eat here again!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
rugosarose, Manager at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2010

Thank you for your review. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest hotel in town. That includes our customer service. Jay, our owner, has quite the green thumb and enjoys gardening around the grounds of the hotel as well as the green house. Please stay with us again next time you come through Fairbanks. Deborah.

Reviewed 28 July 2010

We arrived VERY early on Saturday morning after a long drive from Anchorage and had a couple cranky kids and a tired driver that just wanted to rest. The front desk staff was very quick getting us checked in to our 2 adjoining rooms with VERY comfortable beds and GREAT pillows (pillows you say, I find a comfy pillow very important). The rooms were very clean and had everything right at our fingertips. On Saturday we walked around the hotel and was surprised to see we were so close to the main lodge dining area since we did not hear any noise from there at all. Although we missed out on the much talked about ice cream since we were running all around Fairbanks on Saturday we did get to enjoy a really nice breakfast buffet on Sunday morning. It was nice to be able to hang out by the river for a little bit and just enjoy some family time without the normal hustle and bustle that interupt you while staying in a hotel. We will definately be using Pike's for our annual jaunt to the 'banks.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Be sure to make time for ice cream if you have the chance to visit us again. Deborah.

Reviewed 17 July 2010

We are from Kenai Alaska and travelled up to Fairbanks for a little family excursion. With a 2 year old, we were put in a room DIRECTLY across from the "lounge" where loud music pounded through our room until late at night, plus we couldnt even open our window for fresh air because people were standing on the deck to the lounge smoking.
Everyone from Alaska told us that staying at Pike Lodge was a must, and it has been nothing but a disappointment from the time we pulled into the parking lot (which was not marked with any lines, so people just kind of parked wherever they wanted) and couldn't find a parking spot, to the second day when our keycard wouldn't even work, so with a squirming fussy 2 year old I had to stand in line AGAIN and wait for someone to fix it. There are no good family restaurants nearby and the hotel restaurant is not very kid friendly. If you want a place to stay where you can enjoy a middle class spring break, then this is your place.. But if you want to travel as a family for some R and R, I DEFINITELY do NOT recommend Pike's Lounge.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
rugosarose, Manager at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2010

Hello-
We are so sorry that you had an unhappy stay at Pike's. We have tried contacting you to put the situation to rights and wish that you had mentioned your unhappiness with your room while you were with us. we would have happily moved you. Yes, there was a wedding Friday night until about 11:00 pm and yes, people were standing on the deck smoking even though they are not supposed to do so. We are striping the parking lot this week weather permitting. We haven't been able to stripe earlier due to the weather, and as you know living in the Kenai, striping wears off quickly in Alaska. We try very hard to be kid friendly and adopt our menu on request to kid friendly items. I think that the deck at Pike's Landing is kid friendly since it is outside and there is more room for kids to wander. We also have the two other restaurants close by with outdoor seating. I am sorry about your key card; other things with magnets such as cellphones do wipe them out, and it is frustrating to get them rekeyed when holding kids. We would like you to try us again compliments of Pike's so please contact Patty the General Manager or me at info@pikeslodge.com. Thanks, Deborah

Reviewed 7 July 2010

We live in Anchorage and travel up to Fairbanks every couple months year round to vist family. A co-worker said Pikes was good..and our usual hotel had no rooms for the July 4th weekend. We decided to give them a try.
The desk clerk wasn't friendly and ..he didn't know what I was talking about when I menitioned the special bed & breakfast online rate I'd booked. Very glad I've brought a copy of my reservation..because then he did know all about it.
They sent us to one room with just one bed, that won't work for the four of us. Next room was in what I would call the annex. Overall I would call the rooms tired, but what really left me speechless was walking into the bathroom and discovering someone had used the toilet without flushing before we'd gotten in the room.
Sorry no mistaking a toilet full of urine...the seat still had the band around it that the maid puts on and it was "up"....weird.
There was an envelope in plain site on the desk addressed to the front desk..it had been ripped open and was just laying there.
I really felt either someone had been in the room after the maid or it was very poorly cleaned.
Other things...the tv clicker was dead and the towels were very tattered. You'd think for $165 a night you might get a little better.
I went down to the front desk and told them I was very unhappy with the room...well I was told there were no other doubles available, but they could have someone come by and clean it again for us. I could have said yes, but I'd already flushed the toilet and threw away the garbage on the desk. Honestly I hadn't told the rest of my family about the dirty toilet..I knew it would only make the room seem worse.
They did give me new batteries for the clicker..which for some reason still only worked half the time.
Did notice the next morning there were a couple rubber bands on the carpet ...not from us, which only made me wonder more about how clean the room was.
Overall the front desk staff was uninterested...I would not call them friendly.
I would never stay here again by choice There are several much better hotels in Fairbanks
On a postive note ...the hot breakfast was pretty good and the young lady in the dining room was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

We are very sorry that you had a disappointing experience at the property. We investigated your complaint and do not believe that the toilet had been used. Due to the mineral content of the water in our area sometimes the water can look discolored.

Reviewed 6 July 2010

We were booked at 7 gables Inn only to find out once we got to Fairbanks how shady it was. Thankfully Pikes had a room available and we had the tour saver book which has get 1 night free if you book one. Its an expensive hotel, $250 for a night but worth it, the rooms are nice, the staff was very helpful, they have a shuttle which took us to the train station and airport so we could return our car a night before and saved 1 day's rent :)
Fairbanks is overall expensive, but I liked Pike's, I would definitely recommend it & stay there again if I ever went to Fairbanks again

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
rugosarose, Manager at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2010

Thanks for your compliments on the hotel. We like making our guests happy; I read all of our comment cards and we continue to make guest improvements based on guest feedback. For example, we added a water cooler in the lobby, sandwiches and snacks in the gift shop, blue dots on the air conditioners so people turned them on correctly and refrigerators in all the rooms. We believe that all our cumulative actions over the years will make Pike's a great place to stay for our guests. Deborah

Reviewed 6 July 2010

Pike's was our 3rd hotel on our 3-week, 1700-mile road trip of Alaska September of 2009, and my expectations from phone/ email communication and some of the bad reviews here were low. I had a Northern Lights coupon -buy one night get one night free. On the phone and through email they seemed reluctant to let me have the deal which was why we chose this place over a couple of others. But they did honor the coupon, and when we got there, they were very friendly and gave us the exact room we wanted: a river view with a balcony on the third floor. Room 331 was a nice looking room with high quality furniture. There was a small balcony that overlooked a river; the roof from a building below blocked part of the view, but you still had plenty to see. The bathroom was very nice and had Aveda bath products: absolutely my weapon of choice. A huge flat television overlooked a fine cabinet that housed both a microwave and a fridge. It was one of those rare hotels that gives you a microwave even if it has its own restaurant (although I understand not all rooms have these amenities so make sure you do your research). We did eat at Pike's Landing and enjoyed the food very much; my travel companion said it was the best food she had in all of Alaska, and it was very good (I had coconut prawns - I think she had halibut) but definitely not the best meal we had by far - come on! This is a trip that included the Double Musky in Girdwood, for goodness sake! I think she was just tired and hungry. Back at the hotel I understand some people had noise issues, and I don't doubt this, particularly if you're on a lower floor near the lobby, but on the third floor, I only remember hearing noise a couple of times. Overall, it was really quiet. Room location is EVERYTHING. We were lucky and very satisfied with the room itself. The Princess Lodge was right next door. We had just stayed at the Copper River Princess Lodge (see my review), and if the Fairbanks version was anything like that, I'm glad we went with Pikes. Pikes' room was without question higher quality than the Princess Lodge room we stayed in (and at a cheaper price with the coupon) although the Copper River exterior and scenery was FAR better and that leads me to my cons for Pikes. If I had to nitpick - no place is perfect after all - it would have to do with what's outside the hotel: absolutely no scenic location. True, we were on a river, and watching that riverboat go by was comforting, but the river looked filthy, and the hotel itself sat on a big noisy parking lot with a lot of cheap tourist trap artifacts and a weird lighted walk path where the path was only lit a few feet in couple of places - beyond that you were on your own heading over to the restaurant. Whatever. It all looked rather tacky, and sure could have used a lot more trees. But the flower gardens around the building were really pretty. Try as you might, you can not get rid of pretty flowers in Alaska. I liked Fairbanks just fine, but on our Alaska trip, it would rank down there with Anchorage - which is still higher than 90% of the places in the lower 48. But this is Alaska, and there's just so much more to see and do elsewhere; the only reason I made Fairbanks a stop on the trip was the University of Alaska. There's not much else. Creamer's Field was a nice peaceful walk on a long and winding boardwalk, but there wasn't much to see - at least not in September when the wildlife is retreating - and you might as well save your walking tour for Denali or some other park. Pioneer Park was closed by the time we were there, but we walked around and it looked like some tacky touristy attraction better suited for the lower 48. A really friendly local drove up as we were leaving and just spontaneously started talking to us, and I was taken aback. She was sincere, not creepy at all, expected absolutely nothing from you. People like her do still exist! We found that to be a trend in Alaska; Alaskans are just plain warm and friendly (AND intelligent!). And they were friendly to us at Pike's. While the location itself leaves much to be desired, the hotel was extremely nice and a real bargain. We ended up paying around $149 for TWO nights! That's about $75 per night for a room that would cost you at least $400 a night in New York City. We WERE there in mid-September, ok, so in the summertime I'm sure it costs more - still, I would say the room would be worth $200 a night. But again, how much you like Pike's may depend on your room location, and finally, do you really want to go to Fairbanks that bad? We were anxious to hit the Parks Hwy and head south for Denali, Girdwood, Seward, and Homer. We were in such a rush to get out of Pike's that I forgot my laptop while checking out, surrounded by all the madness created by the tourists waiting for their bus (rent a car, people!). I was about half an hour down the Parks Hwy when I realized it; I drove all the way back, fists clenched around the steering wheel in disbelief, because bouncing from hotel to hotel, my obsessive compulsive disorder self tries so hard to remember everything, and I even kept a check list everytime we checked out of a hotel. But that lobby was crazy and anyone can have a temporary lapse of concentration. Lo and behold, when we got there, they were holding it for me at the front desk. How about that for honesty. Down here in the lower 48, I wonder where the laptop would have ended up. I don't know if we will ever get back to Fairbanks, but if we do, you better believe I will stay here again. Just make sure you stay on a higher floor, if nothing else. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2009
3  Thank RootlessRoamer

Thank you for your lovely review. We here at Pikes Waterfront Lodge pride ourselves on our friendly and helpful staff. Deborah.

Reviewed 24 June 2010

The rooms are pathetically filthy. The sheets were rough and uncomfortable. The entire experience was a HUGE disappointment. Shame on this so called Lodge.

• Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank MarquisLady
rugosarose, Manager at Pike's Waterfront Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2010

Hello-
When I read your review I was horrified and immediately investigated, but could not find a complaint you made to any of the management or housekeeping staff. We did not get a complaint card from you. I also checked with the groups who might have come through at that time so see if the group leaders had any dirty room problems and couldn't find anything. If you would email me at info@pikeslodge.com with more details, I will find out what happened. We take pride in our clean rooms and keep meticulous records of cleaning and room inspectors. Our Executive Housekeeper, Michelle, has been with us for 10 years as has most of her room inspectors and many of the cleaning staff. Regarding the sheets, they are new 300 count sheets so perhaps you would prefer older softer sheets. I personally prefer the crisper sheets. I am sorry that you had an unpleasant experience but really need more information to find how how what happened did happen. Sincerely, Deborah