“Great Find” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Colorado
“Great Find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2008

Found the place via an ad in the Milepost. New hotel, close to the airport, not close to the city (not a big deal to us, but could be) - roughly 5 minutes by car. Large comfortable rooms, great price.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2008

We stayed here for five days in the latter part of June. Very clean, friendly staff and new restaurant/lounge now there.

Fairbanks is hardly a pretty city and many of the downtown hotels are the pits. We were lucky to get this because we booked so late.

We were going for the AAA rate but the person taking my reservation asked if I were a government employee. When I told her I was retired from law enforcement she gave me their lower government rate. Just had to show proof at registration.

The room had a king bed and kitchenette. Very bright and clean.

The bathroom is large but there is no place to store toiletries. That was the only con. Someone forgot to include that in the design.

Hotel also has some coin operated washers and dryers and that can be handy on multi-day stays.

• Liked — Price, size of room and cleanliness.
  • Disliked — Lack of storage space in the bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
DiamondGirl419
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2008

I stayed with my family here while visiting friends and sightseeing in the Fairbanks area the 3rd week of June. We stayed in this hotel for a week. It is conveniently located near the airport...barely a 2 minute drive.....and just down a side road from them is the Discovery Riverboat. Some people complained that they heard airplanes a lot, but honestly, we weren't bothered at all and I am a light sleeper.

This is a relatively new hotel that, like many other hotels and resorts in Alaska, hire summer season help from other states and other countries. It is still experiencing some growing pains because it is new, and unfortunately, some of the staff are not very responsive.

While the rooms are nicely appointed and the beds are comfy, the a/c unit is REALLY loud; at least it was in our room. It sounded like a small aircraft propeller. We were somewhat annoyed on several occasions to come back to our room after 4pm and find that no one had cleaned our room even though we had left the card outside the door requesting that our room be serviced. I mean, come on, we left the room at 9am and they claim to start servicing rooms at 7:30am! Housekeeping was pretty slow and careless. For instance, someone left a pill or vitamin ( and a large one at that!) from a prior stay and it sat there for our entire stay near the wall in plain sight. This is a good indication that they don't always vacuum between stays. Their version of servicing the room was to throw the same sheets and comforter over the pillows. It looked like my teenagers had done the beds-lol. We had a few chilly days where my daughter complained of being cold. It took me two days to get an extra blanket for her. The girl at the front desk was more interested in fanning herself from the warm air in the lobby than bothering to call for a blanket. It also took me two calls to get a phone book for our room. They are either understaffed at the front desk during the height of the tourist season, or maybe they are just forgetful on a regular basis.

Laundry: there is a laundry room for guests on the second floor which consists of two washing machines, one regular and one high efficiency. There are also 2 dryers. Most tourists do not have high efficiency travel size laundry detergent, nor does the front desk, so you would have to buy a full size one at Fred Meyer, which is a waste of money. The front desk only sold travel size SURF which is good for two loads.So, you have an entire hotel trying to use one washing machine and the HE machine just sits there. There are 2 dryers; one of which was beat up and did not dry even a small load in 45 minutes. My recommendation is to have a larger laundry facility and double the amount of washers and dryers.

Workout: Workout room was small...treadmill, bench and some weights. There was also a sauna. This is fine as most people got their workouts from hiking and LOTS of walking/biking. Alaska has lots of jogging and biking paths that are paved.

Restaurant: There is now a restaurant called the Finish Line. Food was good there. We had a lunch there before embarking out to the movies on a day where it was overcast and yucky.

Would I stay here again? Sure. It is a pretty new place and that's a plus from some of the very outdated places that we drove past. Its locale is quiet enough for us yet we are close enough to downtown Fairbanks ( about 10 minutes) to be in the thick of things. Hopefully, as time passes and employees pick up some more experience, this will become a popular place to stay and receive higher marks for customer satisfaction.

• Liked — Hotel was new and nicely decorated
  • Disliked — Housekeeping was awful!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2008

We had booked two nights using the Toursaver coupon in January. They sent us a confirmation with the price listed per night. I called to confirm that they had the Toursaver coupon on our booking and they said yes. When we checked in, they increased the price to the maximum value listed in Toursaver. I complained and showed them my printed confirmation, and noted that the Toursaver coupon said only a maximum value, not an absolute value. They said I had no choice. When I asked "Do you admit that I was deceived by you?" They said "Yes" and that was the end of it. No apologies- just arrogance. That seemed to be the overall atmosphere with most employees there. Just a warning for other travelers.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dishonorable management
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Falala17
TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2008

Alpine Lodge was the best place we stayed in while vacationing in Alaska. The staff were very kind, helpful and accommodating to our needs. The place was clean, and smelled and looked good. They have coffee/tea service around the clock. The complimentary continental breakfast was great too. We got more than we payed for ($85/night, tax included!).

I'll definitely book it again next time we go to Alaska.

• Liked — Room was very spacious and clean
  • Disliked — I liked everything
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2008

My buddy and I stayed here two nights on a visit to Fairbanks to view the Northern Lights. Overall we thought it was a very good Hotel. It is very close to the Fairbanks airport, in fact within viewing distance, but we did not hear much noise.

Positives are: Hotel seems very new, and rooms clean and well kept; Staff is friendly; they have wireless internet; and, their continental breakfast in the morning is awesome -- self service waffle making, pastries, english muffins, bagels, and cups of fruit, as well as a variety of juices. Very good!

Negatives are: walls seem thin -- I could hear a lot of noise from the water pipes in the walls, not to mention noise emanating through the building structure from other rooms. Apparently a hockey team was in staying there too and that probaby accounted for some of it.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank b_dog_27
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2008

This is my second time stayed at Alpine Lodge first was last May 2007 and I love the staff and friendly owner it makes it feel home away from home and spacious lobby and large selection of breakfast. The airport shuttle makes it very convenient for me to travel and my room is very comfortable I can adjust my own temperature and very quite. I give this hotel 5star rating.

• Liked — friendly staff, clean and great location
  • Disliked — none my trip was perfect
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends