“Recommended place - and a special praise to the staff”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Fairbanks
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Reviewed 3 October 2008

Very well kept hotel, clean and tidy. The rooms are not particularly spacious, but quite comfortable. If you like aeroplanes - like I do - one side of the building has got a good view of Fairbanks airport; if you prefer maximum quietness, there are rooms on the opposite side too. Breakfast was alright, with only one thing that I missed: a microwave oven, to get my porridge piping hot (hot water is provided in thermos, but it's not the same thing).
This hotel deserves the Oscar for the fastest complimentary Wireless Internet. I was impressed to see download rates in excess of 500 kB/s. Maybe I was the only one on-line at that particular time, but still it's quite remarkable for a public hotspot.

The reason why I'll remember this hotel, anyway, is another one. On my flight back from Fairbanks, I realised that I had forgotten a fair deal of cash in the hotel room, hidden - or at least I thought it was - in the yellow pages (what a smart idea...)
I didn't have any hope to see my money again, so didn't even bother to enquiry, but a day later I received an e-mail from Jymi, the Operation Manager, offering me to mail my belongings to my home address, which they promptly did. I praise the honesty and kindness of the manager and housekeeping staff.
If I go back to Fairbanks, I know where to stay!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Fairbanks

Reviewed 2 September 2008

The Alpine is a decent place to stay. Nothing special, but nothing negative to it either.

The rooms are a decent size, and spotlessly clean.

Fairbanks is a very spread out small city, and I have a hard time calling 4 blocks a city center, so even if you stayed at either of the two "downtown" hotels, you would not have any great advantage over the Alpine which is near the airport (didn't hear any aviation noise when inside the room), the Chena River and the paddlewheeler Discovery.

There are two well respected restaurants, Pike's Landing and the Pump House in the vicinity.

The clerk at check-in wasn't very friendly, and the bellman plainly felt put out. When the manager was around there was a noticable difference in staff attitudes towards their guests.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank travgran
Reviewed 7 August 2008

Was put into this hotel as part of a land/cruise package. An average hotel - nothing bad, nothing really good.

Appeared to be clean and comfortable.

One plus - they did have wireless internet - apparently a rarity in Alaska!

Very close to airport as others have said.

Did not eat in the restaurant, nor did we have breakfast here as that was part of the tour package.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChgoSailor
Reviewed 6 August 2008

We reserved the Alpine two days prior to our cruise tour. The lodge promptly picked us up at the airport with their courtesy shuttle. They also provided courtesy transportation to Pikes Waterfront restaurant - about a 5 minute drive. The room, linens and bath towels were clean and fresh. The complimentary continental breakfast buffet was fresh, including several coffee selections. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2008

Simple and clean room. It’s outside the city, near the airport. Good location for us, after a long day in Denali NP we just wanted a clean place to sleep and didn’t want to wonder around the city. We didn’t try the restaurant, the prices seemed too high for the place in our opinion. Continental breakfast was included and OK.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Found the place via an ad in the Milepost. New hotel, close to the airport, not close to the city (not a big deal to us, but could be) - roughly 5 minutes by car. Large comfortable rooms, great price.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2008

We stayed here for five days in the latter part of June. Very clean, friendly staff and new restaurant/lounge now there.

Fairbanks is hardly a pretty city and many of the downtown hotels are the pits. We were lucky to get this because we booked so late.

We were going for the AAA rate but the person taking my reservation asked if I were a government employee. When I told her I was retired from law enforcement she gave me their lower government rate. Just had to show proof at registration.

The room had a king bed and kitchenette. Very bright and clean.

The bathroom is large but there is no place to store toiletries. That was the only con. Someone forgot to include that in the design.

Hotel also has some coin operated washers and dryers and that can be handy on multi-day stays.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple