“My first B&B stay”
Review of Minnie Street Inn

Minnie Street Inn
Ranked #9 of 41 Fairbanks B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This was our first stay at a B & B and the start of our 2 week trip to Alaska. The room was comfortable, the hosts were pleasant, but I never got a feeling of comfort. We saw the hosts when checking in, at breakfast the first day and then not again. Breakfast was served at 7 and 8 and we had to put in our preference the night before. That worked well the first morning, but there was no one around to express our preference to on Saturday night. We had asked about being able to have breakfast and make the 8 am train on Sunday and was told it would not be a problem. When we got up Sunday morning, the main floor was empty. There was no sign of breakfast being prepared, no fruit to take with us, etc. It really left a negative impression of our entire visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
inkeepers, Owner at Minnie Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

We take so pride in folks that come for the first time to make there stay a good one. It looks like we failed at this one. I am so sorry for the lack of communication. We do offer a sack breakfast for those who choose to not make the 7:15 breakfast. I will make a point to have myself or my wife talk about all the days for breakfast times for future guest so that this will not happen again. Thanks so much for letting us know. Lambert

Reviewed 7 August 2013

We recently spent three great days here. After an initial problem with the wrong room we settled into three days of luxury. The room was beautifully appointed and extremely comfortable. The breakfasts were well prepared and delicious, the coffee was great and the juice fresh. The hosts looked after our every needs and offered great advise on what to see and do in the Fairbanks area.
In regards to the recent comments about the hosts mentioning their past, yes they did but only when asked and they did not dwell on it or push their beliefs. They both were very professional and a pleasure to meet.
I do look forward to returning to Fairbanks and will definitely stay at Minnie Street B&B again.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
inkeepers, Owner at Minnie Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Thank you for your kind comments, and for coming to our defense. We have been doing our Bed & Breakfast for 23 years now, and have loved serving all the great people that come. This is a hard business to be in if you're trying to please ALL the people ALL the time. Some simply feel the need to find things wrong instead of right, and I understand that. I always say " when I'm staying at someone's home that has simply graciously asked me to come and stay with them, you never find fault with their hospitality.......but as soon as you add "paying for where you stay" you put on different glasses and feel the need to find the what is wrong instead of all the things that are right. We lived our lives to serve. Sometimes it seems to be not enough, even though "excellence" is our constant goal.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

This was my second stay at Minnie Street B & B. It is very comfortable and very clean. The breakfasts are terrific. They pay attention to details and it makes your experience that much better.

It has a pleasant area for sitting outdoors and a comfortable parlor/dining room if you want to sit indoors. When traveling with friends. it is so nice to have a quiet place to sit together.

It was in the upper 80's during the days, so the rooms were a little warm at night, but I pointed the fan at the bed and it cooled things down enough to sleep. I don't expect to have an air-conditioned room in Fairbanks.

Room Tip: If you need 2 rooms, get the Iris and Heliotrope rooms. They share a bathroom and there is a door wh...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for all of your well thought out comments. We appreciate it.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Even though the weather was pleasant (high of 74 and very cool night) the small window and lack of ventilation made the room stifling. A weak fan did little but move around the hot air. (This was our last night in Alaska, and every other place we stayed was pleasant, even without air conditioning.) Even the breakfast room was hot, and the doors were left closed. The hosts are evangelicals, so if you don't want to hear about them being hippies saved from a life of drugs and alcohol, don't stay here! Despite everyone at breakfast steering the conversation away from this topic, the host kept finding ways to return to it. Another uncomfortable conversation at breakfast was how hard it is to make ends meet in this business, especially as their business has tapered off (and I wonder why!). It was quite pricey, so it certainly wasn't my fault they weren't making it!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else with big windows!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
inkeepers, Owner at Minnie Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

I am sorry for your experience at Minnie Street. It is true that the hot days do affect our ability to keep the rooms at a decent temperature and to have a good airflow. This can be for about a full week or more in the month of June. As for our windows being small, they are not. Fairbanks is classified as a desert. Elevation 425 ft. At most of our breakfasts, folks ask about Marnie and I and how we got to Alaska. I always tell the truth. I rarely initiate this conversation. Also I try to be sensitive to ones who may be offended. I was living on the streets of Haight Ashbury in the late 1960s. Doing drugs 24/7 for about three years until I met Jesus Christ. After that day of giving my life to Christ I have not taken any drugs. I have been off drugs for over 45 years. My life turned around 180 degrees. When folks as me about my life this is one of the most important decisions I ever made and for me I am proud of it. It may not be for you but you might try and rejoice in someone else's victories.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

The owners' pride in their establishment shows in the small details. World class hosts. A small intimate establishment which attracts interesting people. Really cannot say a bad word about our experience at Minnie's. This is the fourth time we have spent time in this establishment.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here before and it was great. However, the owners' true colors were quite apparent this second and LAST time. I have read reviews of how rude the owners can be, but hadn't seen it until now. Very clean establishment, but don't expect value for your money. Highly overpriced for the stay and I would pay much more for the treatment I received. Stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank DenaliTundraTours
inkeepers, Owner at Minnie Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Thanks for your thoughts, we will take your suggestions and try and do a better job.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Lovely well maintained B&B, the owners are friendly and have clearly put some care and some thought and attention into the property. There are a variety of rooms in several different buildings. We had a room in the main building where the kitchen is and a bathroom that was shared with one other room.

Bed was comfortable, which was very welcome as we arrived after 23 hours traveling from the UK. Breakfast was very nice and the owners were helpful with suggestions of what to see and do in Fairbanks (there is also a lot of books and leaflets in the reception area). The area is quiet and only a short walk to downtown.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple