“Not up to "Plus" Standard” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Pioneer Park Inn

BEST WESTERN PLUS Pioneer Park Inn
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Redding, California
“Not up to "Plus" Standard”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

Overall: The hotel was fairly nice, with a good location if you like the peace and quiet. However, do not expect too much from the staff. They are not very friendly. However, if you will only be in Fairbanks a few nights and need a cheap place to sleep this would be an ok option. Just do not have high expectations on arrival.

In depth review:
The housekeeping staff ignored the "do not disturb" sign on the door and would either "clean" my room or call me to ask if I needed anything while I was still sleeping. I use the term for "clean" very loosely in this context. The housekeeping staff would make the bed and replace the towels. They did not vacuum, wipe down the counter top, tub or toilet. They did however manage to through away a pile of paper that was sitting on the TV stand, which I still needed. They also managed to turn my A/C down to 68 degrees (which is cold for me) and turn down my fridge so my food froze and was ruined. The front desk people were surly and I had to ask for my diamond member perks when I arrived (not usually the case). When I left they did not ask me about my stay, just if I wanted the receipt. The business center is one terribly slow computer and scanner/printer. I would not suggest trying to use the scanner/printer as it takes a long time and is right down in the lobby where you have no peace. The hotel was recently remodeled however there were dings in all the furniture and the sink piping dripped. As another person noted housekeeping left the laundry door open numerous times. I haven't seen that happen at another hotel and it is just plain unattractive.
This experience has turned me off from Best Westerns in general and I will no longer be staying at this chain.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Debbie B, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Pioneer Park Inn, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
I apologize for the many issues you had while you stayed with us. We strive to give our guests superior customer service and provide them with a quality stay and obviously this did not happen during your visit and I would greatly appreciate you contacting me so I can speak with you in person about the issues you had while you were with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Neenah, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

We stayed here for our first 2 nights in Fairbanks. Great hotel for discounted price of $119. We figured there was a continental breakfast and were shocked to find scrambled eggs, potatoes and reindeer sausage along with pastries and waffles.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Debbie B, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Pioneer Park Inn, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Thank you for your review and were able to take advantage of our special grand opening rates. We hope to see you again.
orange county, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Staying here for a week....Beautifully re-done! Service was excellent, rooms are very nice and the rates can't be beat! The location is GREAT...very close to shopping & downtown, but secluded & quiet by Pioneer Park. The personnel are extremely friendly & helpful, especially in the breakfast room. The complimentary breakfast has somewhat extended hours and is well-stocked. They make sure everything is available right up until they close, at 10. There is a nice fitness room and an indoor pool adjoining the lobby area.. If and when I return to Fairbanks, this is definitely where I;ll be staying!

Room Tip: Very quiet on 3rd floor--I stayed near rear of building--couldn't have been nicer!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Debbie B, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Pioneer Park Inn, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
We certainly look forward and hope that you are able to return to Fairbanks and stay with us. Thank you for your review and am so happy that your enjoyed our wonderful hotel and its facilities.
Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Just spent two nights here, and it was a great option in most ways. This is the 4th hotel I've stayed at in Fairbanks the past couple of years, and it is my top choice.

Positives: As most recent reviewers have noted, it's recently renovated. It's very attractive, and very well done (if the usual corporate generic sterile). Rooms are large and quiet. The window actually opens enough to allow true ventilation. Housekeeping was spotless, both in the rooms and in public areas. Wireless internet is fast and reliable. Staff is adequately friendly, but not outstanding. Fitness center was also all new equipment, and the room was large enough to comfortably work out in (thank you!). Hotel has a pool (though no hot tub) for anyone wanting that. While making my reservation, I made a joking comment about an amenity they should provide. Upon checkin, I discovered they had indeed provided it (*great* service BW!). Guest computer in the lobby for those who need it.

Mixed: Hotel is in a random location, you definitely won't be walking to anything. The upshot of that is zero traffic noise. Included breakfast was adequate, though nothing great. My room's HVAC unit seemed totally non-functional (rm. 229 if you are reading this BW staff), but luckily I didn't need it.

Negatives: The housekeeping department keeps the door to the laundry bay open 24/7, which is unattractive (I work in the hotel industry; I notice these things). Several times during our stay, something vibrated the building heavily. Not an earthquake. Felt like a washer or dryer shaking everything. Hardly overwhelming, but noticeable.

My biggest frustration? We initially booked 2 king rooms for 1 night. When I called 2 days prior to ask to add a 2nd night, I was told "we're basically sold out the 2nd night, so your only option is to upgrade to the king whirlpool suites." They gave us a highly discounted rate, but imagine my surprise - no ANGER - when we saw on night two that they were **nowhere near** sold out. In fact, the hotel seemed nearly empty. We greatly enjoyed the whirpool in the rooms, but I am furious that they flat out lied to me. I will call Best Western tomorrow to express my feelings about this.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Debbie B, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Pioneer Park Inn, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Thank you for your review. The hotel had an extensive remodel over the winter and glad you enjoyed our hotel and its facilities. We apprecaite all your comments and certainly will take action on your concerns.
Anchorage, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

I work all over the state of Alaska and this has to be the best I have ever been treated and also the best I have ever slept when away from home. I would tell every one I know including my personal family to stay here..

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We work very hard to provide clean quality accomodations for our guests I appreciate your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again.
valley falls, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Very Good place to Stay. I would recommend this hotel to any and all visitors to Fairbanks Alaska. Breakfast was great, bed was perfect and internet was working perfectly. Not much more to say here. This hotel was the best.

3 Thank Edward I
I am so glad you had a great stay and your feedback is very helpful. Hope to see you again in the future.
Wichita, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Hotel was very good value. Took advantage of re-furbishing special price. The rooms have been re-done very well. Convenient to airport. Breakfast served 6-10 am. Very nice for catching tours or late mornings.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again. We have extended to breakfast hours to accomodate guests and I am glad it worked well for you.