“Pioneer Park in Fairbanks, AK”

Best Western Plus Pioneer Park Inn
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Fairbanks
Frederick, Maryland
“Pioneer Park in Fairbanks, AK”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Fairly new property, conveniently located (if you have a car) but far enough from highway that road noise was NOT a problem. Mattress was comfortable - not too soft, not too hard. Breakfast was ok but nothing special.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Anchorage, AK, United States
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Nice hotel. Everything seemed fairly new/very clean. Staff was very friendly/helpful in providing directions/assistance. Only problems were the in-room coffeemaker leaked and the blinds were insufficient to darken the room since we were there in late June and it never really got dark outside.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Waymart, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I rented a car for 3 weeks to explore the Yukon and Canada and stayed at B & B's every night except this Best western. The room compared well with the B & B and was larger like most chain motels. It included breakfast which was qyuit good but not enough space given for the number of guest rooms. I would stay there again

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Milwaukee, United States
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The overall appearance of the hotel was fine. When we checked in, we were informed that we could not use our fireplace because management had decided to turn off the propane to save money. In addition, the pool area was not available. When we arrived in our room, the appearance was fine, however, we found a dirty towel hanging on the bathroom door. The bed was comfortable. We awoke to a loss of power. We had no hot water or electricity. My husband made it down to the lobby from the third floor with the aid of his cell phone flashlight. (The exit signs and emergency lighting were nonfunctional--wonder if this is in violation of code. Very dangerous if immediate evacuation were necessary.) We were told that half of Fairbanks had lost power. We could not shower and had no lighting to dress or get ready, We then had to haul our suitcases down the stairs from the third floor--with no emergency lighting! I was holding the flashlight and two suitcases! We made it to the lobby. We were told that the manager was not there. I indicated that I expected a refund on the room. The clerk (on his fifth day of work) indicated that the manager would be making adjustments on the bill. We could not get a receipt but received one in my e-mail for the full charge! We also had no breakfast. I would have thought that the manager of the hotel would have come in knowing there was a loss of power and a hotel full of guests. Although the hotel is not responsible for the loss of power, I am not comfortable with the safety aspects of exit signs, etc. not being on a backup power supply. In the event of a fire, this lack of lighting could be tragic. I will have to call the hotel and speak to the manager to clear up this billing situation. In conclusion, we were charged the full room amount for: no hot water, electricity, elevator for the third floor with lots of luggage, fireplace, pool, breakfast, dirty towels in room, or safety features. I guess we did receive a bed!

2 Thank Renee B
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 22 June 2014

On the whole, I enjoyed my stay at Best Western Pioneer Park Inn. The location was relatively remote although it was situated geographically in middle of Fairbanks. The desk staff proves to be very friendly and helpful.

I enjoyed the quietness and the bed was very comfortable. I like the fitted sheet they use and free internet proves to be most handy. There is a refrigerator and a microwave in the room so that really made the stay more comfortable for the prepared guest who brought things in.

The only downside to this room was the relatively small bathroom and the shower head that didn't adjust. It was aimed toward the wall at the end of the bath and not being that tall, it was bothersome showering. And funny thing is, I can adjust the shower head so it can hit the ceiling but not inward. I could have call but heck with it. Too much trouble.

But overall, it was a pleasant stay and I enjoyed it. My friend who was with me had no complaints and we both enjoyed the free Best Western breakfast that was provided. It was actually, pretty good and I have tasted many Best Western breakfasts during the past 18 years!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a bigger bathroom...if there is one. By the way, the pool is closed right now.