“My new favorite in Brooklyn”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of NU Hotel

NU Hotel
Ranked #9 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Malta, New York
“My new favorite in Brooklyn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

Always nervous trying a new place out, this did not disappoint! Easy location, parking, & staff all wonderful & friendly from second I walked thru the front door. Very homey atmosphere. Kudos to Christina master mixologist, your cocktails are magnificent! LookIng forward to my next trip

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thanks for the fantastic review! Christina is a HUGE asset to our hotel and I sincerely thank you for the kind words. I will certainly share these comments with her and the entire team. Sounds like we have a new fan and we'll be seeing you soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Hebrew first
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Perfect location in brooklyn on Smith St. Modern. Comfy. Romantic. Great service. Free breakfast (and afternoon cookies) Came here for a staycation and had a great time! Cristina is a great bartender! I would recommend this hotel to locals and out of towners!

• Stayed October 2013
Thanks for the great review! This is the 3rd mention of Christina in the last 5 reviews! We better be careful competing hotels don't see this! She is truly fantastic and I'm incredibly pleased to see the impact she is having on our guests. I will certainly share your comment with her and the entire team. I'm pleased you enjoyed your overall experience and we look forward to having you back as our guest in Brooklyn very soon!
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Stayed at NU Hotel for one quick night, but the hotel made a great first impression. First, I found a fabulous (under $200!!) rate on hotels.com. Great neighborhood. The front desk is staffed with VERY helpful folks who answered many questions and offered to call me a car service, stored my bags, suggested great neighborhood walks and places the eat. One of the staff was even helping a female guest fix a broken high heeled shoe! The room was spacious by "boutique" and New York standards, with a comfy bed and nice amenities. The bathroom was clean and had nice bath products. The design aesthetic is a bit sparse, and the white walls can look a little scuffed, but big deal. The room had lovely tall windows that let in a ton of light when the black out shades were raised. The artwork throughout the building and in the room is great. The lobby is small and can feel a little cramped at the morning breakfast -- but it is a FREE breakfast that included all the good basics: breads, yogurts, hard boiled eggs, STRONG coffee etc. While I didn't get to enjoy the free bike rental - I will try to the next time I am in town when I stay at NU!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
We appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience at NU. We love the details. This is exactly what we need to get better at what we do. We'll certainly have our Engineering Team look at the concerns you mentioned in the room. Otherwise we're very pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you stay again. Also, we're actually undergoing a complete property refresh in Jan 2014. We're adding some color to the room that will add the warmth along with new furnishings and technology upgrades. We're confident our guests will love the "NU" look! :)
miami
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

OK, you decided you have to stay overnight in Brooklyn. There are very few choices. This may be one of the more pleasant places, but it is amazingly expensive. For the same price, you can stay at a luxury hotel (even a boutique one) there. This hotel is simply a nicely updated motel. Until more hotels come to Brooklyn, this may be s good as it gets...

Room Tip: even with double-double windows, the emergency vehicle are noisy. Bring earplugs
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank travlindudeMiami
Thanks for the review! I completely understand your concerns. Price point will always set the expectations. Typically we are priced very well against Manhattan hotels. At times rates will rise do to market demand. For example, when the MTV Music Awards were held at the Barclay's Center and this resulted in huge demand at our hotel due to our nearby location. Rates naturally went up. Perhaps you stayed during one of these peak periods. Overall, you will find we are quite competitive and would love to welcome you back at a discounted rate. Please feel free to email me directly and I'd be happy to personally handle your next visit. You can reach me at info@nuhotelbrooklyn.com.
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

No room service or food at all on Sunday and Monday, so much traffic noise that you feel like you are sleeping on the sidewalk and I think they should let us know that the hotel is connected to a prison. That is kind of creepy.
Otherwise they do their best and the hotel is "fine".
stay here if it's close to where you need to be, found a great deal for a room and travel with earplugs.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Ibrahim A
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate feedback whether positive or negative. We make decisions to better serve our guests based on customer feedback. Unfortunately the Bar & Lounge are closed on Sunday & Monday. Demand during these days are very minimal. Fortunately we are located in a great neighborhood where there are 30 restaurants in a 5 block radius. We would certainly recommend any one of these in the event our services are not available. Regarding being connected to a prison, I feel this an unfair assessment and simply not true. We are located across the street from a holding facility that is connected to the Brooklyn Courts. The hotel itself not connected to the location. In my eyes, there is a positive side effect. Police presence. We are located in one of the safest neighborhoods in Brooklyn. I'll take safety over aesthetics. Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you in Brooklyn again soon.
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

Arrived after a long trans-Atlantic flight and what can only be described as the most frightening taxi ride from JFK, to the little oasis of a hotel. It's clean, fresh and modern, and the staff were very friendly and warm in their greeting. The reception area doubles up as the bar and restaurant, but rather than look odd, it's open plan reception works really well. We went up to our room, along the dark corridors (which are stylishly dark, not horribly dark, but who cares anyway, you don't stay in the corridor!) and found our room (224) at the far end. The room was spacious, spotlessly clean, very light and pleasurable to be in. It had a good sized double bed, massive TV (well this is America) and a mini-bar which my wife promptly made out of bounds when she saw the prices (which are normal for a mini bar- it's the convenience, not the price that makes you use it). The bathroom was very chic, with a chalk board and chalk left so I could leave abusive messages to my wife for not letting me hit the mini-bar.

We didn't eat at the hotel other than the continental breakfast. I'm not a fan of anything other than full english, but it was included in the price so it would be silly not to. But it was very good- plenty of choice, from cereal to porridge, bagels to bananas, yogurt and toast, cereal bars, fruit juices and tea and coffee- plenty to fill up on to give you energy to hit the streets.

The only negative is the proximity to the local detention centre. This in itself isn't a problem - it's not a rough neighbourhood by any means, but the prison vans arriving first thing in the morning (6:30am) announce their arrival by setting off their sirens for a few seconds to get the gate mans attention- annoying if it wakes you, but if I'm honest, this wouldn't put me off!

Out and about, go out the door of the hotel and turn right and you'll soon find some fairly bland shops, but turn left and you move into little boutique shops among the restaurants and bars. We didn't have long enough to explore properly, but we loved going to Le Tabac on the corner of Smith Street and Dean Street (3 minutes walk), and also had a lovely meal at Frankies Sputino on 457 Court Street. Court Street itself is another lovely shopping area- much better than the tourist orientated shops of Manhattan.

But as I'm on the subject of Manhattan, the taxi driver taking us from JFK was surprised we opted to stay in Brooklyn. As it happens, it was because we were attending a wedding there, but less than 5 minutes walk from the hotel (and this is a real 5 minutes, not 15 at normal walking pace but 5 if you run) is Bergen Street Subway Station, which is a direct line to Manhattan so you're within spitting distance of Time Square in less than 25 minutes. As Manhattan is so expensive (hotel wise and shops wise) then this is a perfect base to explore the city.

Green Features: Had separate bins for recycling on the room- first time I've ever come across this
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Flash_Si
Thanks for the great review with the fantastic details! I feel my response won't do your review and justice. I'm very pleased to see you enjoyed your stay not only at NU but in Brooklyn. It has truly become a destination of its own. I now like to call Manhattan the "Outer Borough" :) We look forward to having you back as our guest. We'll see you again soon!
Thornton, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Last December my son was married in Brooklyn, NY. My son and future daughter-in-law made arrrangements for me to stay at the Nu Hotel. The Hotel was modern, clean, and close to everywhere that I needed to be including walking distance to the couples' apartment, brides family, plenty of good restaurents, shops and even finding a hairdresser to do my hair, and a salon for my nails. The staff at the hotel were very accommodating, and recommended the hairdresser. The breakfast was good, and the bar nice to have a drink to relax before turning in for the night. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I had a room in the front, and did not have any problem with traffic noise which could have been a c...
Green Features: I felt the hotel's had good practices including not changing the sheets every day if requested. How many people at home wash their sheets every day.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Thanks or the fantastic review! It's great to hear that you had such a good experience LAST December that you decided to write a review now! We appreciate the feedback and I will share with the entire team. The neighborhood has become more vibrant and exciting since your last visit. More restaurants and shops have opened and Barclays Center just up the block has really helped put Brooklyn on the map (hosted the VMA's a couple of weeks ago!). We hope you have a chance to come back and visit the married couple soon! Please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally so I can arrange your next visit. We love taking care of repeat guests! You can reach me at info@nuhotelbrooklyn.com. Thanks again!