NU Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
The Tillary Hotel(Brooklyn)
  • Room Service
All reviewssmith streetdetention centerchalkboard wallurban suiteboerum hilldowntown brooklynnew yorkbagelscontinental breakfastatlantic avecourt streetgreat areastreet noiselobby barcarroll gardensfront desk staffparking garage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights pre cruise departing from the Brooklyn terminal. Having just spent a week in Manhattan in early June we thought we would see a different part of the New York area and we also wanted to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge if possible. I researched the hotels and eventually chose this cute and quirky place as a change from the normal chains. We were not disappointed. The front desk staff and also the housekeeping staff we saw were all extremely helpful and friendly. We were given a quiet room at the back and were very happy there. Not much of a view but we weren't there much and it was very quiet, so if you worry about noise ask for the back. The room is minimalist in decor, everything environmentally friendly, and has many amenities, including free Wifi, which isn't always the case. Our bathroom had almost a whole wall as a blackboard and they provided chalk and an eraser!! That and the modern paintings on the walls add a charm to the place. The bed was the most comfortable I had slept in during the 5 weeks vacation prior to this stay. The fridge/mini bar had enough spare room for us to keep juice and water, though coffee, water and cookies are available all day downstairs. We found the breakfast pretty good, though I am sure there are places close by if you fancy a fully cooked variety. I think maybe in summer the rooms might be quite bright early mornings but was not a problem to us in November. Everywhere was very clean though it might be soon time for some re-painting of parts of the rooms or bathrooms.
We didn't venture into Manhattan though gather the subway isn't far away so on another trip we might do so. We walked to the Brooklyn Bridge, over and back, then around the Brooklyn Heights Park with great views of Manhattan before ambling back through the cobbled streets. We still have so much to see in this area and hope to have a longer stay prior to another cruise very soon.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Thanks for the fantastic review! We appreciate the details shared on your experience not just at the hotel but in Brooklyn as a whole. There's so much you can see! No worries about not venturing into Manhattan. Many of our guests are choosing to stay only in Brooklyn now. You joined the club :) Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I booked a stay here on a whim because i was having issues with the heating system at home. We were given a room that wasn't particularly clean, there were scuff marks all over the floor, the closet door was off its track, and it just wasn't as cool as what they advertised I guess if you purchase a room from a hotel deal website they give you the crappiest room available since you got a deal?. The front desk staff was nice though, and they remembered me by name which was nice. Based on the price if I could find the room for $100 gain maybe i'd stay again, but based off the room i stayed in paying more just wouldn't be worth it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thanks for taking the time to review your experience at NU. It's disappointing to hear we fell short of your expectations. How you book your room and for what price has no bearing on what room you're assigned. It just seems like the room we assigned on this stay needed ore attention than perhaps another room of the same type. While we do a fantastic job of Preventive Maintenance I will make no excuses for the short comings of this room. We simply should have caught these deficiencies on our own and did the best we could to remedy them before checking anyone into the room. I will say that we have listened to our recent feedback and are undergoing a complete property renovation and refresh in January 2014. We have posted photos of the new design at the hotel and I'm willing to send them to anyone who is interested in seeing them. I hope you will give us another opportunity to turn your perception around. Please feel free to email me directly at gm@nuhotelbrooklyn.com to arrange your next visit. I guarantee you will be blown away by the experience.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Clean, trendy, nicely decorated hotel. Easy acces to Manhattan via subway. Theres a few subway stations nearby. Breakfast was a good start for the day; bagels, fresh fruit, cereals, youghurt, etc. Didn't use the gym, but it looked nice too. This was a hotel that suited my taste in many ways. Would come back with joy!

Room Tip: Ask a room facing inner ward, so the traffic noise woun't bother.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Javier E, Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thanks for the wonderful review! You summed it up in a few short sentences. Our proximity to Manhattan makes us a great option for those looking to stay out of the hustle and bustle of the city and stay where true New Yorkers enjoy going. Sounds like we'll be seeing you again soon. Thanks agin for the review!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Very home like feeling, with friendly staff. The shower units are large and so are the beds. They have fancy wall paintings and a well stocked bar. my only issue was that we found our room open. This is due to the door not closing freely, you have to pull it shut, so at best guess assumed the cleaner walked out, assumed the door closed behind them.

They have recycle bins in the room, and the bathroom stuff were all tree friendly stuff. Even the pens were made out of wood, and not plastic

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience. It appears all when well minus the security concern with the room. I agree this is completely unacceptable. I read this over the weekend and immediately had the Executive Housekeeper follow up with all the Room Attendants and reiterate the importance of guest safety. Additionally, we had the Engineering Team visit every room in house to ensure all doors closed behind them without the need to pull them shut. This is the feedback we need in order to get better at improving our product. Thanks for holding us accountable. Overall, I'm very pleased you enjoyed the rest of your stay and we truly hope to see you again soon! Please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally so I can arrange your next visit. I can be reached at gm@nuhotelbrooklyn.com.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Nu Hotel. Staff are informative and friendly, complimentary breakfast provides a good start to the day but for something more special try The Little Sweet Cafe on Hoyt Street (around the corner from the hotel). Rooms very minimalist but a good size and beds very comfortable. One slight downside was our noisy fridge. The gym in the basement is small but well equipped. The location of the hotel is excellent. Downtown Brooklyn provides a range of entertainment options and the junction of Smith Street and Atlantic Avenue is ideally located for the bars on Smith Street (particularly liked the Clover Club), restaurants and bars on Atlantic Avenue -the Soul Food take away opposite the hotel was excellent and Sugar Cane for caribbean food and cocktails. Also very near the Barclay Centre, so try and get tickets to see some basketball or see a show if you can. Would recommend a walk around Brooklyn Heights and Dumbo and a run across the Brooklyn Bridge is an invigorating way to start a day. Shopping is also excellent as the area has a number of independent boutiques. Of course the location also provides easy access to Manhattan. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Thanks for the incredible review! Well I see you certainly enjoyed everything that Brooklyn has to offer on your visit. I hope readers take note when seeing this review. Tons of things to do in Brooklyn. We like to say that Manhattan is now the outer borough! I see you mentioned Clover Club and Soul Spot. Two of my favorite spots in Brooklyn. Great choices to experience. Did you know that Clover Club was rated the #1 bar in the WORLD for 2013? Hard to believe for some but when you experience it you know why. Again, great insider tip. Sounds like we'll be seeing you again. Hope it's sooner rather than later. Thanks again!