“I'd love to give 5 stars but ...”
Review of NU Hotel

NU Hotel
Ranked #16 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tavistock, United Kingdom
“I'd love to give 5 stars but ...”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed here for 3 days before transferring to a hotel in Midtown Manhattan. I wanted the Manhattan experience but couldn't afford 6 nights at Manhattan prices! As it is, I'll be happy staying in Brooklyn next time I visit New York.

Compared to Manhattan hotels, the NU was reasonably priced, and there was no problem getting around as there are 3 subway stations within a 5-7 minutes walk. There are really excellent bars and restaurants within a very short walk too, and though I didn't drink in the hotel bar (the reception transforms into a bar in the evening), others did and looked pretty happy to be there! The staff are all really friendly and helpful. I didn't use the gym, but it looked good, and the free wi fi was quick.

My room was quite large, with a good sized bathroom and the shower was also good. It had a wall painted by a local artist, which was interesting - I think the hotel is due for renovations in the new year but in my opinion it would be a shame to lose the murals as it gave real character to the room. Breakfast was fine for me- a buffet style with toast and bagels, coffee, juice, fruit, yoghurt etc, but if you want to start your day with a major protein kick then there are breakfast places nearby.

However, I can't give a 5 star rating because of the noise. I'm not talking about street noise (my room was at the back, so the street noise wasn't particularly loud), but hotel noises. The heating unit and the fridge were both really noisy (I turned both off in the end), but there was also a constant hum from the air conditioning unit outside. Then there was a strange and regular plumbing noise that kept sounding throughout the night - I never did find out what that was! And finally, on the second night there were particularly noisy neighbours and a lot of doors banging, talking in the corridors, knocking of doors etc - not the hotel's fault but maybe they could consider more efficient sound proofing as part of their refurbishment! I'm not majorly upset by noise usually, but I do like to sleep ...

Would I return - yes, but I'd bring earplugs (which, incidentally were available - at a cost - in the room: come on, people staying in hotels love freebies! Surely providing a pair of free earplugs wouldn't break the bank!)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank CornwallBracken
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
We want that fifth star from you! :) We'll definitely work on the noise aspects that we can control, such as replacing the mini bar fridge during the renovation for a quieter model and making sure that the HVAC's in the rooms are maintained regularly and running as efficiently (and quietly!) as possible. I can see from your photos which room that you were in, so we will try to identify and quiet any plumbing noise in that room as well. As for the murals, don't worry, we love them too and wouldn't dream of painting over them. The new design for the rooms will work around the murals so no danger of losing them, don't worry! Contact me directly at gm@nuhotelbrooklyn.com to make your next reservation and I will make sure that you get another mural room so that you can experience them all. And we'll even throw in one of those sleep kits, just for you. I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Hebrew first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 December 2013

What a Deal! Even if you have your heart set on the city this is worth the simple subway ride. The hotel rooms are good sized (like almost twice manhattan), free wifi and a great gym. The area is easy to navigate with some really fantastic small restaurants a few minutes away. It's busy but you can breath unlike the chunk of touristy hotels in times square and mid-town. This is an absolute find for families and people on a budget and the neighbor hood is very safe. The rooms are going to be renovated in january according to the signs in the hotel but are great for the price. We stayed in the back which was very quiet. Some of the reviews complained about noise but remember this is a CITY and none stop noise is part of the experience of new york city regardless of where you stay. So always pack earplugs if you are noise sensitive.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alexandhoney
This review is wonderful, thank you so much! Your kind words are very much appreciated and we're so glad you got out and enjoyed our neighborhood...sounds like you had a great trip to NYC. Thank you for letting us be your "home base". One note, we know that not everyone is used to the noise of the city, so we actually just added a sleep kit to our minibar offering. It includes an eye mask and earplugs...we try to think of everything to make our guests more comfortable. Thanks again, and we'll see you on your next trip!
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel fr more than two weeks. It has clean rooms, decent amenities, excellent service and nice breakfasts. I was appearing for my CPA exams and this hotel really helped me with a clean atmosphere, located close to Subway, decent neighborhood and a welcoming staff. Highly recommended

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Great review, thank you! It's nice to see that you were with us for an extended period and that we were able to exceed your expectations for the length of your stay. We hope that you did well on your exams and wish you much luck in your new career! Come back soon to celebrate that corner office that we see in your future!
toronto
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The Nu Hotelis conveniently located at the intersection of Smith and Atlantic Avenue's in Brooklyn New York across the road from the county jail. The entrance and lobby is small but welcoming and is converted in the morning to a breakfast room and in the evening to a small and intimate bar.

While some people have described the rooms a small in actual fact they are really on the large side of small. There is a small exercise facility available

My only criticism is that the pillows were 2 soft and "old".

Because of its location this hotel is ideal for those visiting Brooklyn or Manhattan

Room Tip: if you wish to have your roommate up at a specific time, this should be arranged with the concierge...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TripDocror
Thanks for your review, and for the vote of confidence on our room sizes! It's great to see that you enjoyed your time with us, and took advantage of our 24 hour fitness center too. I am sorry to see that you weren't happy with your pillows. We will have our Housekeeping department take a look and remove any pillows that could be deemed old. Next time, just call to the Front Desk and we will be happy to bring you different pillows until we find one that is the perfect fit for you! Thanks again.
Aventura, Florida, United States
Reviewed 7 December 2013

The room is really good and very spacious. It is very close from Manhattan and people is very friendly. The room has lots of new things, very clean and organized.
They have a mini bar inside the room, which is very convenient.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thanks for the great review! Hope you got to try the Brooklyn Republic Vodka from the minibar during your stay...it's handcrafted here in Brooklyn. We truly are the boro that has everything! We'll look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Harrogate, UK
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights pre cruise departing from the Brooklyn terminal. Having just spent a week in Manhattan in early June we thought we would see a different part of the New York area and we also wanted to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge if possible. I researched the hotels and eventually chose this cute and quirky place as a change from the normal chains. We were not disappointed. The front desk staff and also the housekeeping staff we saw were all extremely helpful and friendly. We were given a quiet room at the back and were very happy there. Not much of a view but we weren't there much and it was very quiet, so if you worry about noise ask for the back. The room is minimalist in decor, everything environmentally friendly, and has many amenities, including free Wifi, which isn't always the case. Our bathroom had almost a whole wall as a blackboard and they provided chalk and an eraser!! That and the modern paintings on the walls add a charm to the place. The bed was the most comfortable I had slept in during the 5 weeks vacation prior to this stay. The fridge/mini bar had enough spare room for us to keep juice and water, though coffee, water and cookies are available all day downstairs. We found the breakfast pretty good, though I am sure there are places close by if you fancy a fully cooked variety. I think maybe in summer the rooms might be quite bright early mornings but was not a problem to us in November. Everywhere was very clean though it might be soon time for some re-painting of parts of the rooms or bathrooms.
We didn't venture into Manhattan though gather the subway isn't far away so on another trip we might do so. We walked to the Brooklyn Bridge, over and back, then around the Brooklyn Heights Park with great views of Manhattan before ambling back through the cobbled streets. We still have so much to see in this area and hope to have a longer stay prior to another cruise very soon.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thanks for the fantastic review! We appreciate the details shared on your experience not just at the hotel but in Brooklyn as a whole. There's so much you can see! No worries about not venturing into Manhattan. Many of our guests are choosing to stay only in Brooklyn now. You joined the club :) Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you again soon!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I booked a stay here on a whim because i was having issues with the heating system at home. We were given a room that wasn't particularly clean, there were scuff marks all over the floor, the closet door was off its track, and it just wasn't as cool as what they advertised I guess if you purchase a room from a hotel deal website they give you the crappiest room available since you got a deal?. The front desk staff was nice though, and they remembered me by name which was nice. Based on the price if I could find the room for $100 gain maybe i'd stay again, but based off the room i stayed in paying more just wouldn't be worth it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review your experience at NU. It's disappointing to hear we fell short of your expectations. How you book your room and for what price has no bearing on what room you're assigned. It just seems like the room we assigned on this stay needed ore attention than perhaps another room of the same type. While we do a fantastic job of Preventive Maintenance I will make no excuses for the short comings of this room. We simply should have caught these deficiencies on our own and did the best we could to remedy them before checking anyone into the room. I will say that we have listened to our recent feedback and are undergoing a complete property renovation and refresh in January 2014. We have posted photos of the new design at the hotel and I'm willing to send them to anyone who is interested in seeing them. I hope you will give us another opportunity to turn your perception around. Please feel free to email me directly at gm@nuhotelbrooklyn.com to arrange your next visit. I guarantee you will be blown away by the experience.