“Great stay! Great staff!”
Review of NU Hotel

NU Hotel
Ranked #13 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orlando, Florida
“Great stay! Great staff!”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Friendly and welcoming staff, location of parking garage is a plus (next door literally), and convenient to several subway stops. Most importantly, ask the bartender to make you a "Christina." You'll be glad you did!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Javier E, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Right to the point...I like it! Thanks for your review, glad to see you were happy. I trust we'll see you again soon? We'll have Christina ready to mix you a "Christina"! ;)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Hebrew first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

I can't stress how wonderful the staff is here at Nu Hotel. This is our second visit to the area since visiting family in Brooklyn . The staff is so helpful, they feel like family as well. Since it was Christmas some relatives decided to mail a few gifts to the hotel for us. One arrived after we left but the staff held onto it until a family member could retrieve it.
We find the inside rooms quieter and that makes all he difference in our stay. It also is an easy walk to the subway stops.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smileyeye
I will share your comments with our whole team, this is just how we want every guest to feel! For the time that you're with us, our goal is to make you feel as comfortable as possible. I'm happy to see that we did just that. Thank you for letting us know...and come home soon!
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I sold my apartment in the neighborhood and needed a place to land for a few day with my dogs before my new apartment was ready. They made my dogs and my family so welcome, if felt like an extension of my new home.
Next time I have family in town, I will book them a room there. Great boutiques hotel great local art,clean, great staff and pet friendly . It just what makes Brooklyn the best borough in NYC.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Your last sentence sums it up! I've said something to that effect a few times on this site myself..Brooklyn IS the best part of NYC. We love introducing our guests to the art, music and style of Brooklyn, and making it feel like home no matter where they are from. It's a great compliment that you feel confident in sending your friends and relatives to stay with us, so thank you. We promise, we'll take good care of them! And just because you're not staying with us, don't forget, you can always pop in for a cocktail in our lobby bar. See you soon!
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I stayed at the NU Hotel for a week in one of the three suites. We didn't need the hammock and it was removed for us. We loved the space of our room--a corner room--and with the new renovation it will be even fresher and nicer. We had 40 guests stay with us for a weekend wedding in Brooklyn. The lobby and breakfast was a beautiful and convenient way for us to meet, talk and have breakfast. The hotel desk staff was very helpful, professional and friendly. The chief engineer helped immediately with a safe problem. Housekeeping was very good. And it is pet friendly so my brother was able to bring his aging small dog with him for a $100 fee….and not have to go to a different hotel. The location is excellent as there are many excellent restaurants nearby. Wedding venues closely--The Green Building and Frankie's Sputino. Crib very nice.

Room Tip: king rooms have a little more space and allow for cots and cribs. Three corner suites on Smith St si...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Neil M
Lovely to read that your stay was so pleasant...to be a part of a family's celebration, even such a small part, is a treat for our staff and I'm so glad that you and your group enjoyed your time with us. We hope to welcome you back very soon!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I had originally booked a vacation rental property down the street from the Nu Hotel in Brooklyn, NY, but it ended up not being cleaned properly, and I didn't feel comfortable staying there. Looked up hotels in the vicinity and found the Nu Hotel listed. It had great reviews on Yelp, so I called to get pricing on their rooms. VERY reasonable, ESPECIALLY for NYC! A Queen Bedroom was quoted to me at $169/night and a King Bedroom was quoted at $189/night. I briefly explained what happened to the front desk girl, and she was sympathetic and kind and offered me the King bedroom at the Queen rate for the first night. I ended up booking the hotel for my entire stay. One night, I called to have some more Kleenex delivered to my room. Someone was at my door in less than 5 minutes. The rooms are super cute, clean, comfortable, LOVED the beds. They include a continental breakfast downstairs, which I didn't take advantage of, but saw other guests doing so. They also have a fitness center onsite, as well as a little business center where you can get on the computer and print something out, if needed. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone needing a hotel in the NYC area. It's in a great neighborhood. There are TONS of shops and restaurants down Atlantic (the hotel is on Smith and Atlantic). Complimentary WiFi is also included with the room. I'll definitely stay here again sometime in the future. :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Audrey H
Thank you for your feedback. It is nice to know that although we were your second choice for this stay, we'll be your first choice next time...that's our goal! Great to see that you had such a positive experience, and thank you again for such a glowing review! See you on your next trip to Brooklyn.
Tavistock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I stayed here for 3 days before transferring to a hotel in Midtown Manhattan. I wanted the Manhattan experience but couldn't afford 6 nights at Manhattan prices! As it is, I'll be happy staying in Brooklyn next time I visit New York.

Compared to Manhattan hotels, the NU was reasonably priced, and there was no problem getting around as there are 3 subway stations within a 5-7 minutes walk. There are really excellent bars and restaurants within a very short walk too, and though I didn't drink in the hotel bar (the reception transforms into a bar in the evening), others did and looked pretty happy to be there! The staff are all really friendly and helpful. I didn't use the gym, but it looked good, and the free wi fi was quick.

My room was quite large, with a good sized bathroom and the shower was also good. It had a wall painted by a local artist, which was interesting - I think the hotel is due for renovations in the new year but in my opinion it would be a shame to lose the murals as it gave real character to the room. Breakfast was fine for me- a buffet style with toast and bagels, coffee, juice, fruit, yoghurt etc, but if you want to start your day with a major protein kick then there are breakfast places nearby.

However, I can't give a 5 star rating because of the noise. I'm not talking about street noise (my room was at the back, so the street noise wasn't particularly loud), but hotel noises. The heating unit and the fridge were both really noisy (I turned both off in the end), but there was also a constant hum from the air conditioning unit outside. Then there was a strange and regular plumbing noise that kept sounding throughout the night - I never did find out what that was! And finally, on the second night there were particularly noisy neighbours and a lot of doors banging, talking in the corridors, knocking of doors etc - not the hotel's fault but maybe they could consider more efficient sound proofing as part of their refurbishment! I'm not majorly upset by noise usually, but I do like to sleep ...

Would I return - yes, but I'd bring earplugs (which, incidentally were available - at a cost - in the room: come on, people staying in hotels love freebies! Surely providing a pair of free earplugs wouldn't break the bank!)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank CornwallBracken
We want that fifth star from you! :) We'll definitely work on the noise aspects that we can control, such as replacing the mini bar fridge during the renovation for a quieter model and making sure that the HVAC's in the rooms are maintained regularly and running as efficiently (and quietly!) as possible. I can see from your photos which room that you were in, so we will try to identify and quiet any plumbing noise in that room as well. As for the murals, don't worry, we love them too and wouldn't dream of painting over them. The new design for the rooms will work around the murals so no danger of losing them, don't worry! Contact me directly at gm@nuhotelbrooklyn.com to make your next reservation and I will make sure that you get another mural room so that you can experience them all. And we'll even throw in one of those sleep kits, just for you. I look forward to welcoming you back soon!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 December 2013

What a Deal! Even if you have your heart set on the city this is worth the simple subway ride. The hotel rooms are good sized (like almost twice manhattan), free wifi and a great gym. The area is easy to navigate with some really fantastic small restaurants a few minutes away. It's busy but you can breath unlike the chunk of touristy hotels in times square and mid-town. This is an absolute find for families and people on a budget and the neighbor hood is very safe. The rooms are going to be renovated in january according to the signs in the hotel but are great for the price. We stayed in the back which was very quiet. Some of the reviews complained about noise but remember this is a CITY and none stop noise is part of the experience of new york city regardless of where you stay. So always pack earplugs if you are noise sensitive.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alexandhoney
This review is wonderful, thank you so much! Your kind words are very much appreciated and we're so glad you got out and enjoyed our neighborhood...sounds like you had a great trip to NYC. Thank you for letting us be your "home base". One note, we know that not everyone is used to the noise of the city, so we actually just added a sleep kit to our minibar offering. It includes an eye mask and earplugs...we try to think of everything to make our guests more comfortable. Thanks again, and we'll see you on your next trip!