“Things you should know...”
Review of NU Hotel

NU Hotel
Ranked #12 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 October 2009

Obviously a big attracion for staying here versus Manhatten is the room rate, but there are some drawbacks. This is the first time I felt Trip advisor didn't work for me in the many years I have used it, and feel obligated to let fellow users know about this hotel. Let me also say I heaved a big sigh of relief as we drove over the bridge to our (more expensive) Manhatten hotel.

Yes, the Nu is modern in terms of interior decor (though there was no bathroom door in the 'friends accomm' we shared with our teenager and the TV was placed behind a dangling light fitting which was not good planning).

However beware;

The first morning we were there we were awoken at 7.30 am by a jackhammer that was only metres away in the street. Not the hotel's fault and common in NYC - but soundproofing is not good. I had requested a room on the non street side (from comments made at TA) but had been told they couldn't guarantee a roll away bed would be avail for our child, even though I booked some months in advance - so we were forced to take the more expensive 'friends' bunk room uless we wanted to take a gamble.

My child had an accident en route from Australia which involved stitches and concussion so the noise was a major issue. We couldn't move to the other side on the second night (no room) but were moved on the last night. (I had to point out that we were charged the more expensive rate and have the bill corrected when we checked out).

There was also noise from wihin the hotel - waterpipes that sounded like a fog horn on occasion. Staff at the front desk seemed unaware of this issue though it has been mentioned on trip advisor.

Another point - the hotel is right opposite a correction centre. Yes folks, that razor wire around the tip of the building opposite is to keep the inmates in. Maybe some don't care about that, i am surprised it wasn't mentioned here on TA - but we found it somewhat disconcerting... It was also next door to a place you go to pay jail bonds. i.e. not a great neighbourhood.

When I wrote to the hotel re the noise issues they did give me a refund of one night's stay, so that must go in their favor.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Melbourne-me2

Reviewed 11 October 2009

I wish there wasn't even a star option. The Nu Hotel canceled my already-paid-for-in-advance hotel room on my wedding night. Yes folks, my wedding night. Me and my husband live in Brooklyn, had the wedding at the Botanical Gardens and just wanted to keep it local. We thought the Nu's location was in a good spot and booked the hotel in June for our October 10th wedding night. We arrived at the hotel (which I contacted about our late-check in already) and was told that they did not have a room for us. We received a form letter signed by the manager, Justin, stating that they were sorry for the inconvenience, but were moving us to another hotel located in "Park Slope" on 13th Avenue. Those who know Brooklyn, know that 13th avenue is NOT in Park Slope. However, it was 11:30PM and we were exhausted, so we went to the other hotel.

The hotel was located in Borough Park and was an establishment that could not provide us with a bed large enough for both of us to sleep in, just two singles. Since this was just not acceptable for our wedding night, we took a cab back to our apartment.

We still cannot get in touch with the manager, Justin, at the Nu Hotel. Every time we call we are told he is unavailable. No one can tell us what happened. And no one cared at all. Also, we did not get a phone call or a message about the cancellation of our hotel. We arrived there happy and excited and left angry and flabbergasted.

I just cannot believe, after paying for my room in full, talking to employees about the fact that we would be arriving late on our wedding day and that it was our WEDDING NIGHT that we would be turned away to a hotel that was clearly substandard. I just want people to know about the terrible situation and service this hotel provided. What if we didn't live in Brooklyn and had no place to go? I asked that to the person behind the desk who couldn't care less. The Nu Hotel provided a terrible end to a wonderful day.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
20  Thank mstinagray
Reviewed 8 October 2009

The location of the hotel deemed to be an issue for some reviewers (across from a jail). But it dis not affect us at all. The hotel is very close to great shopping and tons if restaurants plus neighborhoods to walk through. Off the main street it's very quiet.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2009

I stayed in New York during the COTERIE fashion week, so I guess that's why the choice of hotels available at a good rate in MANHATTAN was limited. BUT: I don't have any regret that I've choosen the NU hotel in Brooklyn neighbourhoud !
The hotel: Very large room, modern, recently renovated. Ipod docking station, large screen TV, comfortable bed and large bathroom with shower. I was dissapointed about the breakfast... no table to sit and take your time but starbuck coffee and not much choice in pastry or food. But I guess it's normal in US, the "fast-breakfast".
The neighbourhoud was very nice, even if the prison was just in front. Police cars go in and out with much noice even at night...
With the subway it takes about 40 minutes to go to central park and 5th avenue area.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 September 2009

My quiet (non street facing) 4th-floor room had one king bed, a tv, a little fridge with room for the neighborhood's fabulous takeout leftovers, and a long, narrow desktop that the swivel chair could run the length of. The cork floor was clean. The ethernet jack was right by the desk, and there was also wireless; no charge for the internet. A thermostat by the door controlled an AC unit under the window, but mid July was unusually cool, so running the AC made only a minor, but welcome, improvement. For a New York hotel room, it was amply large.

The tv did not work, so I phoned the desk and they sent an engineer up within minutes. It was a battle on three fronts, but in the end he achieved both picture and sound.

The front desk staff suggested a stroll around the neighborhood and across the Brooklyn Bridge. I also walked up and down Atlantic Avenue and Fulton Street. I found a neat laundromat with drop-off laundry service, and plenty of food options. The informal eater eats like a king in that neighborhood.

I never had to stand in line behind more than one person at the front desk. There were no surprises among the charges.

The area and the hotel also have rough edges.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank amturnip
Reviewed 1 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at Nu Hotel from August 1st-5th, and for the most part our experience was great, especially for the price (we booked online and received the 'book ahead' discount). The location was a great base for exploring both Brooklyn and Manhattan -- you are a 5-minute walk to the F, G, A and C trains. The neighborhood is great too. Just a short walk south on Smith Street there are lots of great restaurants, shops and cafes.

We had a standard king room, which I would totally recommend -- it was surprisingly spacious, and like all king rooms it was on the quiet side of the hotel. As others have mentioned, the rooms are tastefully decorated, with mostly white decor.

I noticed the heat/AC issue that one of the other reviewers mentioned -- it was very warm in the hallways and cold in our room. However, there was a thermostat in our room, which was no trouble to adjust, and I imagine all of the rooms have a thermostat. Really, my only complaint about the room is that the blinds really did not block out the light, and we were awakened by the sun blazing through the cracks at 7 am. But at least there was zero noise!

The staff was friendly and efficient. My only other criticism is the breakfast, which ranged from mediocre (squishy white 'bagels') to completely under-stocked (e.g. no milk, no coffee cups). I let the hotel know about this in a post-stay survey, and based on their apologetic response I think this might be changing.

Overall, Nu Hotel is a bright, clean, comfortable, attractive hotel in an excellent location.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2009

We stayed in the large room with the queen and two twin beds. Our two kids (aged 6 and 3) loved the bunk beds and drawing on the chalk wall. Although noisy, I found that the air conditioner was perfectly loud and helped to stop outside noise- most notably, police cars and vans entering and exiting the building across the street. We love the area and were easily able to find places to eat and walk around. The staff were very friendly.

For how much we paid, (250+ per night) there are a few things that seemed silly. For one, in an area where there are fantastic small cafes, restaurants and bakeries, to offer such an awful breakfast is not worthy of the hotel. There was not even milk for coffee. When we went down the first day, we were told to use the skim milk from the cereal bar for our coffee and the second day, the same skim milk and now, no bowls for eating cereal. No big deal I guess but, when we asked, the staff on hand shrugged and didn't do anything about it. Maybe we are supposed to learn to drink our coffee black.

Second, some of the features in our room were a little quirky. The reading lights were wired to the same light switch as the main lights. So, while you could turn the reading lights off and on, if the main room lights were off, then none of them worked. With little kids in the room, that meant that they either had to go to bed with all lights on, or we all had to sign off together! Lastly, and most funny, the TV is nice and comes with many channels, however, the television hangs from the ceiling and from no vantage point in the room, can you view it without a partial obstruction from the sizable hanging lamp that floats over the table. It is ridiculous! No sitting in bed and watching the news or a movie- a half domed light hangs directly in front of the screen. Reminds me of how I used ot stand in front of the TV to annoy my little sisters!

So- it is nice but I think fixing those little things would go such a long way toward making it so much better.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family