NU Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
The Tillary Hotel(Brooklyn)
  • Room Service
All reviewssmith streetdetention centerchalkboard wallurban suiteboerum hilldowntown brooklynnew yorkbagelscontinental breakfastatlantic avecourt streetgreat areastreet noiselobby barcarroll gardensfront desk staffparking garage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 December 2009

I arrived late - no food in the hotel so had to ring out for food to be delivered, not really the sort of area you would want to venture out after dark, or even in daylight come to that!
The bedroom was basic with poor quality bedding, no double glazing so very, very noisy. The bathroom was well stocked with toiletries and clean towels.
Breakfast was very basic continental and was meant to be served from 6.30 am but at 6.45 there was nothing out so I had to leave without breakfast.
I normally stay at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott and will be doing so in the future.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Dizzy1812
nuhotel85, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2010

Thank you for taking a moment to write about your experience at the NU Hotel. We apologize we were not able to meet your expectations. Unfortunately we do not have a full service food outlet. We do however have a full array of menus available for quality local food establishments that will deliver. We have received praise on our bedding in the past. I have asked my Executive Housekeeper to remove any bedding or towels that appear worn from inventory. Also, linen was recently replenished throughout the hotel. We are confident this will not be a concern moving forward. Breakfast was also recently revamped and we have received very positive comments since.

Again, we appreciate the feedback. We will use this review as a training tool for our team members to be proactive to these concerns in the future.

Reviewed 21 December 2009

The NU Hotel, on Smith Street in Brooklyn, is a wonderful surprise. Following the model found in Europe (we've run into this kind of accommodation in Spain and France), the NU Hotel provides the essentials : comfortable sleeping, continental breakfast, and close proximity to Brooklyn Heights, Clinton Hill and New York City (one train stop to lower Manhattan).

The hotel is clean and efficiently run. Through Bookit.com, I did ask for a room in the rear, having read in the New York Times that any room over Smith street, which cuts across Atlantic Avenue (the hotel is near the corner), is noisy. This is true. It is noisy. I can sleep through anything, but my wife can't. We managed.

The hotel is 2 blocks from Sahadi's and a great row of restaurants, one of the best is Lunetta's -- excellent slow food movement place.

We'll be back to the NU Hotel, for sure!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hvila
Reviewed 7 December 2009

We stayed at the Nu from a Thurs. to Sun. We chose it because we weren't able to find an affordable hotel in Manhatten for those days(pd $169 and $189/night)
From LGA airport it cost $22(pre-tip) by cab.
Pros: good location-subway is very close, lots of choices for restaurants, helpful staff, large, comfy, clean rooms ( We did ask for one away from street our request was met)
ample breakfast -although on the first morning the attendant was very slow with replenishing
Cons: doors were thin or the housekeeping staff was extra loud! sounded like they were in our room and it woke us up both mornings, $25 charge for rollaway(it may be standard but I was surprised that when booking the room it wasn't mentioned-when I called to make the reservation I stated I needed a room to accomodate myself, hubby and 17 yr old son--was told they had a std king--I asked what about my son-is there a pullout or something---was told 'oh, we'll just put in a rollaway"-great! what they neglected to mention was the $25 cost. Upon check in when I was told about the cost, of course I relayed this conversation (even had the young man's name) and upon speaking to him the receptionist came back with they would only charge me one night for the rollaway. ...
I was very happy that they allowed us to check in early-it made a real difference to us and allowed us to drop off our luggage, rejuvenate a bit before we headed off to sightsee(our travels started at 4:30 am-and we arrived at about 10;30am to the hotel)
It's a hotel I would reccomend!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank BettinaO
Reviewed 6 November 2009

The NU Hotel is reaching to be terminally hip to cash in on the buzz about Brooklyn. For me, it works only to a degree and seems a little over the top. My room was quite large, which is a rarity in NYC. It was perfectly comfortable and clean but the sparse minimalist design felt a little like a cross between IKEA and a dorm room. The materials were lightweight. The clientele were anything but hip. They seemed mostly like tourists who were trying to save money by getting out of Manhattan and folks visiting their kids who live in trendy Brooklyn neighborhoods.

On the plus side, the location is excellent, close to many subway lines and minutes from excellent restaurants. The staff is quite helpful. My room was quiet and I got a great night's sleep.

This just reminds me how difficult it is to find a good hotel room in NYC. For this price you could find a great room virtually anywhere else in the country. But not NYC. They really get away with murder on the quality/price ratio. I'll likely stay here again but it will never become one of my favorites.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 November 2009

Our 3rd floor room with one queen size bed was tiny. The noise from the street was loud and constant, if those windows are really sound-proofed, then I must have super-hearing! The bed wasn't very comfortable and with the slightest of movements, the fitted bottom sheets snapped off of the end of the bed. If you take baths - be prepared for a very narrow, slim tub. Use caution with the sink, the design of the faucet makes even a very slow stream of water splash-up and out in all directions.

The air conditioner cycles on all the time and the room really heats up without the air on, so we suffered with endless air conditioner/compressor racket. Beware there's no carpet - so bring slippers. The clothes closet is extremely small, the TV remote control is frustrating to use and we never got any of our wake-up calls because the phones don't work. Room to room calls to our friends didn't work either. The front desk told us that they "are working on it!"

Watch out for the dangling/hanging light blocking the tiny closet. It can really hurt, if you accidentally hit it. There's a huge jail across the street and all day and night there are sirens hooting, honking and beeping from the arriving and departing ambulances, police cars and fire trucks.

On our last night our key didn't work in the lock - turns out that they got our departure date wrong and we had to re-register for one more night. I shudder to think that they might have already rented out our room and moved our things out. It's a good thing we returned to the hotel early in the afternoon to pack.

What appears to be the concierge center is just a desk right next to the front desk. When we tried to print out our boarding passes for our trip home, their computer was down. All day!

This is a very bare bones, ultra-minimalist hotel - for just a few dollars more, we could have stayed at a much nicer hotel. By the third night, I was crazed, cramped, cranky and crabby. There is basically no rest at this hotel.

Oh, did I mention that a water pipe on our floor, burst one day and they had buckets in the lobby to collect the water dripping from the ceiling and the emergency alarms were beeping and the lights were flashing in the hallways. That was an alarming scene - all the noise and commotion in the hallway, as a result of this crisis, lasted for an entire day.

Sorry, but I can't recommend this hotel to anyone, well maybe some back-packing college students might find it OK, but we did NOT!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MontereyDave01

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent experience at the NU Hotel. We strive on excellence and we recognize the only way to get better at what we do is by customer feedback, whether positive or negative. Going forward we will use this incident as a training tool with our entire team to prevent any similar occurrences in the future.

There are certain design elements to the hotel that may appeal to some but not others. Clearly you were not happy with the design and we completely understand. Most of our reviews are very positive. We take customer feedback very seriously and react accordingly. Thanks again and we hope you give us another opportunity to serve you again in the future.