“Big problem”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Austin, TX
“Big problem”
Reviewed 4 February 2010

Full disclosure: this is based on my experience in my particular room (204). From 5:30am to 9:00pm there is really bad noise: screeching vibrations, pounding that shakes the floor, that kind of thing. Turns out my room is over the neighboring garage's car lift, which is the source of the noise. The front desk can't move me because the hotel is sold out. It's fine if you're a very early riser and don't spend any time in your room until late in the evening. Otherwise, you'd be better off just about anywhere, even though in other respects the hotel is kind of nice. However, my TV also didn't work, even after the "engineer" supposedly reset it, so maybe it's not that nice after all.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank mark2ther
nuhotel85, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2010
Thank you for writing about your recent experience at the NU Hotel. We deeply apologize for the inconvenience caused by the garage next door. We recognize this as a problem only in this specific room. We are working with the garage company on installing insulation and buffers to prevent the noise from occurring again. We're confident we have found a solution. Please feel free to contact me directly for any future visits so we may regain your confidence in the NU Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Hebrew first
Boise, ID
Reviewed 2 January 2010

Stayed Dec. 23-28 when visiting Bklyn + Manhattan family over Christmas. Having lived in this part of Bklyn a few years back myself, I found the Nu Hotel a fantastic value. It's location in particular is a strong suit: easy walking distance to subways, cabs are plentiful on Atlantic Ave. right out the front door, and bus stops within a couple blocks. There aren't currently any late-night dining options within a 2-block radius but if you venture just one or two blocks further you'll find many interesting choices. (Try Bar Tabac a few blocks up Smith for excellent bistro fare.) The rooms are not lavish but I found ours really perfect for what we want - tile floors are a nice touch (so much nicer than carpet), spacious bathroom and shower, very comfy bed. Noise was not a problem for us, on the 2nd floor (and I'm a light sleeper). The hotel was busy with holiday travelers and on some mornings breakfast came to a halt while we all waited for the hotel to replenish coffee and food that had run out. Otherwise staff very helpful, cheerful, friendly, and knowledgeable about the area.
I would pick the Nu Hotel over the Marriott any day, as I prefer not to stay in megalithic chain hotels when possible.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
nuhotel85, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2010
Thank you for taking the time leave a review on our property! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. We have realized our breakfast area has become popular of late. We have taken steps to ensure breakfast items are replenished regulary to avoid the delay in service. Thanks for the feedback!
Minneapolis Minnesota USA
Reviewed 21 December 2009

I was in Brooklyn on government business in November 2008, and the hotel typically used was full. I made a reservation with Nu Hotel after a search on Trip Advisor. To my surprise, the hotel's basic rate was considerably less than the standard government rate, a great savings in fact. I had to walk a few blocks to my meeting place, but the Nu is close to several subway lines, and readily accessible via cab to LaGuardia Airport or other destinations. The rooms were clean, big enough for one person, and I loved the hotel's contemporary look. My room was stark white, with dark accents and intriguing light fixtures, and a LCD television. Service was friendly and efficient, and several times I enjoyed the continental breakfast in the lobby. Staying in Brooklyn is a great way to see New York City, and staying at the Nu Hotel is a great way to stay in Brooklyn.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Woody98
Thanks for the great review! We completely agree with you. Brooklyn is the "NU" Manhattan!
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2009

I arrived late - no food in the hotel so had to ring out for food to be delivered, not really the sort of area you would want to venture out after dark, or even in daylight come to that!
The bedroom was basic with poor quality bedding, no double glazing so very, very noisy. The bathroom was well stocked with toiletries and clean towels.
Breakfast was very basic continental and was meant to be served from 6.30 am but at 6.45 there was nothing out so I had to leave without breakfast.
I normally stay at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott and will be doing so in the future.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Dizzy1812
Thank you for taking a moment to write about your experience at the NU Hotel. We apologize we were not able to meet your expectations. Unfortunately we do not have a full service food outlet. We do however have a full array of menus available for quality local food establishments that will deliver. We have received praise on our bedding in the past. I have asked my Executive Housekeeper to remove any bedding or towels that appear worn from inventory. Also, linen was recently replenished throughout the hotel. We are confident this will not be a concern moving forward. Breakfast was also recently revamped and we have received very positive comments since.

Again, we appreciate the feedback. We will use this review as a training tool for our team members to be proactive to these concerns in the future.
vermont
Reviewed 21 December 2009

The NU Hotel, on Smith Street in Brooklyn, is a wonderful surprise. Following the model found in Europe (we've run into this kind of accommodation in Spain and France), the NU Hotel provides the essentials : comfortable sleeping, continental breakfast, and close proximity to Brooklyn Heights, Clinton Hill and New York City (one train stop to lower Manhattan).

The hotel is clean and efficiently run. Through Bookit.com, I did ask for a room in the rear, having read in the New York Times that any room over Smith street, which cuts across Atlantic Avenue (the hotel is near the corner), is noisy. This is true. It is noisy. I can sleep through anything, but my wife can't. We managed.

The hotel is 2 blocks from Sahadi's and a great row of restaurants, one of the best is Lunetta's -- excellent slow food movement place.

We'll be back to the NU Hotel, for sure!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hvila
Brantford
Reviewed 7 December 2009

We stayed at the Nu from a Thurs. to Sun. We chose it because we weren't able to find an affordable hotel in Manhatten for those days(pd $169 and $189/night)
From LGA airport it cost $22(pre-tip) by cab.
Pros: good location-subway is very close, lots of choices for restaurants, helpful staff, large, comfy, clean rooms ( We did ask for one away from street our request was met)
ample breakfast -although on the first morning the attendant was very slow with replenishing
Cons: doors were thin or the housekeeping staff was extra loud! sounded like they were in our room and it woke us up both mornings, $25 charge for rollaway(it may be standard but I was surprised that when booking the room it wasn't mentioned-when I called to make the reservation I stated I needed a room to accomodate myself, hubby and 17 yr old son--was told they had a std king--I asked what about my son-is there a pullout or something---was told 'oh, we'll just put in a rollaway"-great! what they neglected to mention was the $25 cost. Upon check in when I was told about the cost, of course I relayed this conversation (even had the young man's name) and upon speaking to him the receptionist came back with they would only charge me one night for the rollaway. ...
I was very happy that they allowed us to check in early-it made a real difference to us and allowed us to drop off our luggage, rejuvenate a bit before we headed off to sightsee(our travels started at 4:30 am-and we arrived at about 10;30am to the hotel)
It's a hotel I would reccomend!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank BettinaO
Baltimore
Reviewed 6 November 2009

The NU Hotel is reaching to be terminally hip to cash in on the buzz about Brooklyn. For me, it works only to a degree and seems a little over the top. My room was quite large, which is a rarity in NYC. It was perfectly comfortable and clean but the sparse minimalist design felt a little like a cross between IKEA and a dorm room. The materials were lightweight. The clientele were anything but hip. They seemed mostly like tourists who were trying to save money by getting out of Manhattan and folks visiting their kids who live in trendy Brooklyn neighborhoods.

On the plus side, the location is excellent, close to many subway lines and minutes from excellent restaurants. The staff is quite helpful. My room was quiet and I got a great night's sleep.

This just reminds me how difficult it is to find a good hotel room in NYC. For this price you could find a great room virtually anywhere else in the country. But not NYC. They really get away with murder on the quality/price ratio. I'll likely stay here again but it will never become one of my favorites.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business