“I shouldn't come back!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bangkok, Thailand
“I shouldn't come back!”
Reviewed 26 February 2010

I stayed @Nu Hotel around one year ago and I was very satisfied with the service received and the modern touch. This time it was a different story. I had no doubt to stay there again as I planned my New York trip. We where a group of 3 and so I booked a twin twin room online as suggested for 3 persons. Check In was a swift and the Clerk asked me if we would be fine with two beds- and I said sure why not?! When we entered the room, we realized that there are just two small beds in, obviously suitable just for 2 persons per room.
At the end we ordered a rollaway bed for 25 USD plus Tax per night- what a scam as we had booked a room for 3 of us. Internet is still free of charge and works fine. In the morning they still offer a kind of breakfast, but service was a nightmare. Everything was on the cheap side. Instead of fresh and crispy pastries, fresh fruits, quality juices they serve nowadays very cheap bagels and muffins. We stayed for 5 nights and from second morning it went down at its best. Lack of cutlery, bagels, fruits and no cream cheese for the last days. I asked them to replenish, but the guy in charge was not sure when they get delivered new stuff...
I addressed the hints during check out but the women in charged seems to be very uninterested what went wrong within the hotel.
To sum it up- I really liked the place before but since my last stay I guess I will think twice if I would choose to stay there again

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank dominik_r
nuhotel85, Javier Egipciaco at NU Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at the NU. Clearly the expectations were not met and we sincerely apologize for this experience. We understand that customer feedback, whether positive or negative, will only make us better at what we do. We will use this incident as a training tool on guest resolution troubleshooting.

We hope to get he opportunity to serve you again in the future. This experience is not indicative of the service we provide regularly as your first experience at the hotel was a positive one.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 20 February 2010

Just returned from a five night stay at the NU Hotel. Everything was first class - clean and quiet room (ask for an internal room so as to avoid possible noise in Smith Street/Atlantic Avenue). Very minor problem with light quickly mended/breakfast was a good start to the day, staff extremely polite and helpful.

This is also a great location - on Smith Street/two blocks from the subway with plenty of bars/cafes/rest. etc to choose from. Easy access to Brooklyn Heights/Bridge/walking around interesting and quiet streets. It was wonderful to escape back here at night from Manhattan.

Book now!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
philly
Reviewed 15 February 2010

where do i happily begin:)....when my bf and i 1st arrived, we were already impressed by the chic design of the outside of the hotel, as we entered, again, we were over joyed by the design layout, cleanliness, quietness and quick check-in!!

the staff was like none other!!! unbelievable!! Mike, esp, is the man!!! Lol. Since we were not from the BK, we inquired about dining and dance hotspots, he immediately researched the hottest spots while we chilled/sipped in the lounge watching the all-star games...:) Mike suggested "SEA" and what an amazing suggestion!!! we had a blast!!! the thai cuisine was amazing (the wait was approx an hour, dj was playing the hottest house tracks-the bomb and the service was quick, friendly and attentive!!!)

we stayed 2nights and wished we were staying longer---we cannot wait to return to write on the blackboard with our colored chalk!! haaa...yess how kool of them to have a blackboard in the bathroom on the wall:)

ohh,lol, the continental breakfast was cute and intimate:)...it takes place right in the lounge area....:) (boy does that hotel know how to utilize there space-lol)

NU, thanx for making my bf/i's vday weekend feel sooo warm and welcomed!!! we hope to see you soon:) keep doing what you are doing!!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
nuhotel85, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2010
Thanks for the review! We're glad we were able to be a part of your special weekend! Mike says hello! :)
Austin, TX
Reviewed 4 February 2010

Full disclosure: this is based on my experience in my particular room (204). From 5:30am to 9:00pm there is really bad noise: screeching vibrations, pounding that shakes the floor, that kind of thing. Turns out my room is over the neighboring garage's car lift, which is the source of the noise. The front desk can't move me because the hotel is sold out. It's fine if you're a very early riser and don't spend any time in your room until late in the evening. Otherwise, you'd be better off just about anywhere, even though in other respects the hotel is kind of nice. However, my TV also didn't work, even after the "engineer" supposedly reset it, so maybe it's not that nice after all.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
5 Thank mark2ther
Thank you for writing about your recent experience at the NU Hotel. We deeply apologize for the inconvenience caused by the garage next door. We recognize this as a problem only in this specific room. We are working with the garage company on installing insulation and buffers to prevent the noise from occurring again. We're confident we have found a solution. Please feel free to contact me directly for any future visits so we may regain your confidence in the NU Hotel.
Boise, ID
Reviewed 2 January 2010

Stayed Dec. 23-28 when visiting Bklyn + Manhattan family over Christmas. Having lived in this part of Bklyn a few years back myself, I found the Nu Hotel a fantastic value. It's location in particular is a strong suit: easy walking distance to subways, cabs are plentiful on Atlantic Ave. right out the front door, and bus stops within a couple blocks. There aren't currently any late-night dining options within a 2-block radius but if you venture just one or two blocks further you'll find many interesting choices. (Try Bar Tabac a few blocks up Smith for excellent bistro fare.) The rooms are not lavish but I found ours really perfect for what we want - tile floors are a nice touch (so much nicer than carpet), spacious bathroom and shower, very comfy bed. Noise was not a problem for us, on the 2nd floor (and I'm a light sleeper). The hotel was busy with holiday travelers and on some mornings breakfast came to a halt while we all waited for the hotel to replenish coffee and food that had run out. Otherwise staff very helpful, cheerful, friendly, and knowledgeable about the area.
I would pick the Nu Hotel over the Marriott any day, as I prefer not to stay in megalithic chain hotels when possible.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
nuhotel85, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2010
Thank you for taking the time leave a review on our property! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. We have realized our breakfast area has become popular of late. We have taken steps to ensure breakfast items are replenished regulary to avoid the delay in service. Thanks for the feedback!
Minneapolis Minnesota USA
Reviewed 21 December 2009

I was in Brooklyn on government business in November 2008, and the hotel typically used was full. I made a reservation with Nu Hotel after a search on Trip Advisor. To my surprise, the hotel's basic rate was considerably less than the standard government rate, a great savings in fact. I had to walk a few blocks to my meeting place, but the Nu is close to several subway lines, and readily accessible via cab to LaGuardia Airport or other destinations. The rooms were clean, big enough for one person, and I loved the hotel's contemporary look. My room was stark white, with dark accents and intriguing light fixtures, and a LCD television. Service was friendly and efficient, and several times I enjoyed the continental breakfast in the lobby. Staying in Brooklyn is a great way to see New York City, and staying at the Nu Hotel is a great way to stay in Brooklyn.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Woody98
Thanks for the great review! We completely agree with you. Brooklyn is the "NU" Manhattan!
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2009

I arrived late - no food in the hotel so had to ring out for food to be delivered, not really the sort of area you would want to venture out after dark, or even in daylight come to that!
The bedroom was basic with poor quality bedding, no double glazing so very, very noisy. The bathroom was well stocked with toiletries and clean towels.
Breakfast was very basic continental and was meant to be served from 6.30 am but at 6.45 there was nothing out so I had to leave without breakfast.
I normally stay at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott and will be doing so in the future.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Dizzy1812
Thank you for taking a moment to write about your experience at the NU Hotel. We apologize we were not able to meet your expectations. Unfortunately we do not have a full service food outlet. We do however have a full array of menus available for quality local food establishments that will deliver. We have received praise on our bedding in the past. I have asked my Executive Housekeeper to remove any bedding or towels that appear worn from inventory. Also, linen was recently replenished throughout the hotel. We are confident this will not be a concern moving forward. Breakfast was also recently revamped and we have received very positive comments since.

Again, we appreciate the feedback. We will use this review as a training tool for our team members to be proactive to these concerns in the future.