“Country boy comes to the Big Apple!”
Review of NU Hotel

NU Hotel
Ranked #12 of 71 Hotels in Brooklyn
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Country boy comes to the Big Apple!”
Reviewed 15 August 2010

I stayed at the Nu Hotel from August 11-13 2010 and had a great time! Before booking the hotel I called and spoke to Gary who was very pleasant and gave me all the info about the hotel plus directions for getting to the hotel from JFK airport. Gary was there when I arrived and made me feel welcomed from the start. I told the staff I was not used to all the city noise outside and they placed me in a room located on an upper floor facing the courtyard instead of the busy street that runs in front of the hotel. The decor is very contemporary with cork floors and modern furnishings and art. The beds were very comfortable. Everyone at this hotel went out of their way to make my stay as enjoyable as possible. I already mentioned Gary but also want to thank Bernard who went beyond the call of duty when I showed up for breakfast a few minutes after 10 one morning to make sure I got bagels, cereal, juice and yogurt to start my day. Dan who worked the night shift was pleasant and helpful as was Sandina who was working the front desk the morning of my departure. Even housekeeping staff went out of their way to show me gracious hospitality by taking my ice bucket down to the lobby to fill it and return it to my room and then refusing to accept a tip for their efforts! The hotel also has a gym located in the basement which is a bit nicer then the typical hotel fitness room. The hotel's location in Brooklyn is within walking distance of many restaurants and a couple of subway stations where you can board a train and travel most anywhere in the New York City Metro. When I am in NYC again and need lodging I will certainly return to the Nu Hotel Brooklyn!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Hebrew first
Detroit
Reviewed 7 August 2010

Stayed in the Nu Hotel from July 22-July 25, 2010.
It's a fresh new hotel which was in a great Brooklyn location close to the Brooklyn Bridge, and downtown Brooklyn.
The staff was so nice, friendly, and more than happy to help no matter how big or small the request.
The workout room was so nice, I ending up working out more on vacation than at home!
The bed and pillows were so comfortable, I slept more than I expected to, but needed and enjoyed it to!
It was a great deal for a great hotel.
With the Itenery Brooklyn Exposed gave me to fit the location, showing me so many places where we could walk to and what was around the Nu Hotel, the stay was fun, enjoyable, and relaxing (and again the staff was so awesome it makes you want to go back quickly).
I have recommended this to friends going to New York later this year.
Any issues, concerns, or questions, just ask the staff, they will respond.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank heatherp73
Reviewed 6 August 2010

The reviews I read in regards to the hotel were right on target. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating. My only complaint would be that one night the television did not work but upon calling the front desk some came up immediately to rectify the situation. The room was A+ clean. I loved the fact that the floors were tiled and not carpeted. The linens had a fresh clean smell and were soft. The bed did not feel like a hotel bed at all- I felt right at home. The art deck lightning both in and outside the room gave a nice, comfortable ambiance. I would definitely stay here again and recommend the nu hotel.

• Stayed July 2010
England
Reviewed 29 July 2010

Has some unusual features - and rooms are certainly boutique in nature

This is good for a few nights stay - the reception/bar/business/breakfast area is one of those multi-use areas that is all you need for a few nights stay. The only downside is that there is nowhere you can go and "hide" and sit in the bar/restaurant as other hotels may have

That said - its relatively cheap for Brooklyn, its got a gym and free wifi in the room. Restaurants are in easy walking distance and would fit most peoples' needs

Only downside for me was the noisy aircon...

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I agree that the rooms were quite large for a New York hotel, if you plan on spending a lot of time in your room, and I can't imagine why when you are in New York, then perhaps this hotel is not for you. Very clean, excellent location. I traveled with my adult children and they had NO problems finding a wonderful night life waiting for them just a few blocks from the hotel. Excellent price, very helpful staff, nice quick breakfast awaited us in the morning. Very happy with the experience, and would definitely stay again!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 18 July 2010

My flight out of LGA was cancelled so I needed a place to stay. I decided to stay in Brooklyn rather than Manhattan because I thought it would be a little cheaper. I got a room for $179/night and it was certainly larger than a similarly-priced room in Times Square would have been. The bed was comfy, the bathroom was spacious enough for one person. There were an abundance of outlets near the desk The TV didn't work, but I didn't call for service because it was late.

My biggest complaint was that, during one of the biggest heatwaves in NYC, the hallways were not airconditioned. My room was like an oven when I walked in. Not surprisingly, it took hours for it to cool down. The AC unit was very loud, so I was unable to leave it on while I slept. My second floor room must have been next to some mechanicals because I was awakened throughout the night with strange noises. Also, as a single femaie, I was a little creeped out when I saw a walking path just outside my second-floor room.

The staff was pleasant but not very helpful with finding the subway into Manhattan. One man grossly under-represented the amount of time it would take to walk to the station and I was 1/2 hour late for my dinner reservation.
The free breakfast was limited to fruit and granola bars. I had a nice egg dish at a place up the street. It was OK for a night, but I don't think I'd choose this place again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Juilletdix
nuhotel85, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at NU Hotel. This is the type of feedback we welcome. In order for us to get better we need to know these details about our customers experience.

We agree, the hallways were definitely a concern but we are happy to report that the AC has been repaired. Unfortunately due the the heat wave there was a large amount of strain on the system and it did malfunction for short time. As far as the room, we were asked by New York City to minimize electricity use in all unoccupied rooms. Normally, the room temperature is set at 72 degrees prior to guest arrival.

We will use this review as a training tool on how to better respond to our guest inquiries and concerns. Thanks again for sharing your experience. We hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your trust in our service.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 June 2010

I stayed here with my girlfriend for a last-minute anniversary present. I booked directly with the hotel via telephone a few days ahead of the night. They didn't answer until after at least 20 rings. A minor annoyance. I was able to get the last room available but had to spend $380. We were given room 207. The room had no view, and there was a patio/walkway right outside the window. Fifteen minutes after we were in the room, a security guard ambled by the window. I don't want to imagine why he would be there at that moment. The room was big for NYC, but the floors were linoleum tiles and the tiles were coming up at the seams. Not very attractive.

The location is great if you walk up Smith Street to the nice restaurants. Walking the other direction towards downtown Brooklyn it gets a little sketchy and dirty.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bombo20012001
nuhotel85, General Manager at NU Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2010
Thank you writing about your recent experience at NU Hotel. There were certainly things we could have done better to make your stay more enjoyable. Unfortunately we do, as in most hotels, have rooms with less desirable views. We rely on service and amenities to surpass expectations so having a less desirable view becomes less of a concern if everything else is perfect.

The flooring at NU Hotel is actually eco-friendly cork flooring. Cork is environmentally sustainable, non-toxic, and healthy. Cork is a truly sustainable “green-building” material. Trees are grown and the bark is harvested without harming either the trees or their habitat. Bark is initially sent to a factory to create stoppers for wine bottles. Cork flooring is then created from post-industrial by-product of the bottle-stopper industry. This specific room we actually had the cork floor replaced shortly after due to its less desired appearance.

Again, thanks for the feedback. We hope you will give us another opportunity to change your first impressions about our rooms and service.