The New York Loft Hostel
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
Red Carpet Inn(Brooklyn)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This is a real cool place to stay. The hostel itself is modern and clean, has good facilities... good room, internet, kitchen, garden. I really liked how it was decorated... superheros and local icon art. Close to the subway... 5 mins walk. The neighbourhood is amazing... so much street art and graffiti. Really enjoyed my stay here. What a find and a chance to explore Brooklyn as a different aspect of New York. Wow.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I'm usually not one to review (but I read the heck out of them before I book), and after the experience I had last week and the service I received here, NY Loft Hostel totally deserves to be written about and reviewed. I went by myself and at first was intimidated by the industrial location but the hostel itself looked like a safe haven between graffiti and brick buildings. My first stop was the kitchen since check-in was at 3pm and I arrived quite jet-lagged at 9am. Breakfast was full of people and the place looked so cool! I soon made a whole group of friends and they all put me at ease by telling me about how cool and safe the area is -- which is absolutely true. What I first mistook as intimidating by the end of the trip was so exciting to go look at and really gave the area character. I mean what is more NY than graffiti, great hole-in-the-wall restaurants, a boxing school, and industrial buildings!?
I didn't take too much advantage of the free breakfast, but it was pretty good and you could buy stuff at local markets to add to it and make it a proper meal. The amenities in the kitchen we're really nice, and it's a great place to hang out with a big screen TV, huge open space, and great courtyard area. The cleaning ladies are very nice and work hard to keep it clean. The bathrooms are also great because they're private and kept clean as well. There are several of them, so I never waited to shower. Now, the real reason I write this review is because I had some excellent service from the front desk. I had a little issue with the shuttle-- it's supposed to be a flat rate, but I was charged too much. After speaking to the manager and Karina, they took the situation seriously (and didn't make me feel dumb, because I felt a bit embarrassed for being duped). Karina called the shuttle company and resolved the situation efficiently and I didn't have to do a thing! I would recommend the shuttle because everything was handled nicely and it's convenient when you're tired or need a little help. Just know it's a flat rate. I felt really taken care of and had one of the best weeks of my life! Fellow hostelers, staff, and everything is great here. They're my first choice now when I return to NYC.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed here while I attended the Governors Ball Festival. The weather averaged about 27 degrees Celsius (really hot) and the hostel had some great outdoor spots to chill in the sun. They have an outdoor area that opens up off the kitchen creating an awesome social environment and a good breakfast to go with it. Our room was for 4 people, It was huge and made up of 4 single beds with no bunk beds which was a nice change. The interior has a cool brick design that captures that real NYC feel you're after. Price was rather expensive compared to hostels internationally but that seems to be the theme in NYC; accommodation everywhere is expensive. The location is great for the subway to Manhatten but the coolest thing is all the shops/restaurants that are close. It's next to Tutu's which is a great bar at night and some cool cafe's with the whole Brooklyn feel. I traveled with 3 friends who were all between the age of 28-31 and really recommend this place based on our experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This hostel is located in Brooklyn a great up and coming area of NYC especially for youth! It is right of the L line of the subway making it particularly easy to get to from Manhattan each day. It is a relatively new hostel and the rooms are very pleasant clean and tidy. The staff at the front desk were extremely helpful and there is a great free breakfast provided each day in the spacious kitchen and common area. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here particularly in comparison to a hostel we stayed in in Chelsea which was twice the price and for this reason I would definitely recommend my friends and family to stay here!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I was new in New York and looking for a place to stay, found this place on a hostel booking site and it was the the last place in my price range, I wasn't too keen at first but after getting the there I was pretty happy that is was my last resort, next time it will be my first stop! I has a great time and met awesome people, the staff were helpful and the place was clean with a cool vibe.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo