“Wouldn't pay more than 100 a night”

Aloft New York Brooklyn
Ranked #20 of 71 Hotels in Brooklyn
“Wouldn't pay more than 100 a night”
Reviewed 14 June 2011

very excited to stay at this new hotel, however, I was quite disappointed due to the following:
1. room has never been cleaned despite requests (bed was made once and housekeeping left door opened!)
2. bar food and drink menu was not ready-ordered several things only to be told they were not available
3. elevator has been having problems-forced to wait at least 15 minutes each way
4. staff has not been adequently trained
As I'm staying here for a week, I was hoping for better accomadations. I've never had a problem with any of the W hotels and took a chance with Aloft. Sadly, I was let down.
I wrote a letter expressing my concerns and was responded with a generic email offering no apology.

• Stayed June 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Stayed at this hotel the week it opened. Hotel itself is nice - had a king size room that was pretty spacious for a NYC hotel room. But that's where the nice stopped. The door to our room didn't stay shut unless you had the bolt on, so needless to say when we went out, anyone could enter our room by pushing the door open or waiting until it opened itself (which it did - came home one evening and it was cracked open). We notified the front desk 3 times and they claimed they'd send someone to fix it - never was fixed. Also came back one evening expecting our room to have been cleaned - but no. The maid did take a few seconds to roll up a wet bath mat, but that was it - no clean towels, no made bed, no cleaned vanity - nada! Why even bother with the wet mat?!

This hotel staff needs to get their act together if they expect success for this new hotel. If you're looking for something in the area, my recommendation would be the Sheraton right next door.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MUMike007
Aloft_Brooklyn, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, 14 June 2011
Dear MUMike,

I would first like to deeply apologize for the experience you wrote about. My staff and myself worked hours on end to get the hotel open and prepared for all our guests to arrive. I can clearly see by your e mail that we dropped the ball in your case. Again, please accept my apologies. As with any new business, we did experience a few bumps here and there and unfortunately you caught a few of our short-comings. I can assure you that I will be sharing your comments with my staff first thing in the morning as it is through comments like yours we are able to fine tune our work habits and create a better stay for our guests. So I do thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel even though not in the best light.

Best Regards to you and yours...
Karl E. Baugher