“New, Stylish, Convenient, Good Customer Service”

Aloft New York Brooklyn
Ranked #21 of 74 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We just returned from a four night stay at the brand-new ALOFT in Brooklyn, NY. The hotel had opened about a week before we arrived, and their team is really focusing on great customer service to make the experience wonderful in this newly built property. While others have commented here on TA on various opening bugs, we found the hotel to be functioning very well and very clean as well. There are some features that are still to come, such as the connectivity stations that will connect to the 42 inch televisions in the rooms that were not yet available during our stay.

The property is located in a redeveloping section of downtown Brooklyn, and is walking distance from the new NBA arena (Barclays Center) currently being built for the Nets, which is set to open for the 2012-2013 season as the new home of the New Jersey (soon New York) Nets - and rumored to also become the potential home of the New York Islanders of the NHL. One other thing I really liked about the hotel's location is how Brooklyn is one of the most transit-accessible locations in New York City.

Room Tip: Easy access to express subway lines into Manhattan
1  Thank David-in-Long-Beach
Aloft_Brooklyn, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2011

Dear Alpern,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our new hotel here on tripadvisor. Our reviews from past guests are now starting to come in and we appreciate your comments. You are right, soon we will have connectivity for our guests to use the TVs in their rooms to connect to their computer equipment. There are other things soon to come as well that we are excited about.

Also, thank you for pointing out we are in a new developing area of Brooklyn. We are right in downtown Brooklyn and everywhere you look, there are renovations going on, new construction and brand new high end apartment buildings either already up or being constructed. It's pretty exciting around this neighborhood now.

Again, thank you for the great review here and we hope you will come back and visit us again.

Best Regards
Karl E. Baugher

Write a ReviewReviews (1,072)

Reviewed 28 June 2011

Booked online and pre-paid a discounted rate in January, was given an option for 2 queen beds, which we chose for the 3 of us. Upon check-in today, 6/28/11, we learn there are no queen beds just doubles in the entire hotel unless you want one king. Seriously? How hard is it to have the truth on your website?! The rooms are super small and there isnt any space to put your suitcases or anything else.There isn't enough room to change your mind! The bathroom is an open space kind of like a closet. If you want a fridge you have to pay for it by the day! Needless to say we are not at all happy and are not looking forward to staying the next 4 nights here. We just got here and we're already wishing it was time to leave. This is our first visit to the city and we thought a new hotel would be a great, clean and bed bug free place to stay. If our time here hadn't been paid for in advance we would have went somewhere else

Room Tip: Rooms are not worth the price.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank hpickens
Reviewed 26 June 2011

This brand new hotel receives my kudo's for fulfilling all of my needs. The check in was perfect and my room was even available upon arrival at 11:00 AM. This being my first time in New York and having just disembarked from a nine day cruise my expectations were none the less not too high in expecting similar service as a deluxe cruise. I was wrong, the staff was eager to help me get established and offered their time and help with my plans for the next 4 days. Gave directions, opinions, reviews which turned out to be very helpful. A bright smiling staff person even advised me that I would not have to go downtown to Broadway to purchase discounted tickets to Broadway shows as their is a tkts location just 3 blocks away. I actually loved Brooklyn and the hotels location. The owners of this hotel hit the bulls eye with this one in picking out a very up and coming location. The Nets are building their new arena just walking distance away and the subway stops are convenient and can one can reach all parts of the city from a close walk with direct no transfer routes into Manhattan. Clean rooms and fast elevators along with wireless internet which is at no charge completed the package. All around this was a great choice which I am proud to have made, and so was my wife.

Room Tip: High floor has great views.
1  Thank Stesc711
Aloft_Brooklyn, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2011

Dear Stesc711,

I really have to thank you for writting such a great review of our hotel and I just shared your comments with my staff. The desk agents were thrilled with your comments. It's little things like this that make my staff want to work even harder to assist our guests. We have a fun hotel and the staff knows it and loves to show thier enthusiasm to our guests.

We're glad you selected our hotel out of the many choices here in Brooklyn. And yes, our location is pretty centeral to all of the Brooklyn happening scene as well as being less then one block from the numbers 2 and 3 train which in three stops, takes you into Manhattan in a matter of minutes.

Thank you again for such a nice review and please do tell your friends about us. We'd love to have you back next time your travels take you to New York City.

Reviewed 24 June 2011

We stayed 2 nights here, prior to our cruise to New England. We chose the hotel because it was near the Brooklyn Cruise terminal and near Hoyt Station. Brand new and clean with no bed bugs. We found the staff friendly and helpful prior to our arrival. We had shipped our luggage to the hotel prior to our arrival. Mr. Collins and his staff were wonderful to work with, they took care and stored our luggage until we arrived. When we checked into the hotel, our luggage was waiting in our room.
For the size of the room, it was enough room for a family of 4 to wiggle in, complimentary wifi was a nice perk and with cable access to ESPN and Cartoon Network. The beds were comfortable to sleep in and after all the walking you will be doing, we had restful nights.
They have a wonderful mini food bar set up near the lobby so you can purchase snacks, espresso, frozen meals, and Ben & Jerry Ice cream. What a treat if you don't feel like venturing out in town. The hotel is located within easy walking distance to Subway station, NYU, NY Court house, Post Office and shopping area. It is about a 15 minute walk to the Brooklyn Bridge Park.

Room Tip: Chose a Deluxe room for a higher floor with a view
1  Thank LoveGoestbread
Aloft_Brooklyn, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2011

Dear LoveGoest,

Thank you so much for the great review. My staff and I really appreciate you taking the time to write it and it really motivates them when the read good things about our hotel and the service they provide.

Look for more new things happening at the aloft hotel as well. Live entertainment will be coming soon, our roof top bar nightclub woth panoramic views of the city with an out-door patio space and alot more.

Again, thanks for the review and thanks for your business!

Reviewed 20 June 2011

My low rating is due to the hotel's poor service and "iffy" transitional location. I stayed here the night of June 18 as a single female traveler. The staff unenthuasistically welcomed me while failing to make eye contact. My impression of the hotel further declined as I viewed remnants of the hotel's construction (i.e., excessive dust) in the hallway and stairwell leading to my room and smelled faint carpet adhesive. When I returned around 9pm, I felt uncomforable walking from the local DeKalb Subway to the hotel. The street had poor lighting, little foot traffic, and some questionable characters lingering on the street. On the upside, I did sleep very well. My room was very quiet and the bed was comfortable. However, I would probably not stay at this location again if I had to pay full price. (I paid $99 for the night.) I also would be reluctant to stay at this location for more than one night with a travel companion because the rooms are small, poorly designed, have almost no storage space and no clear delineation between the room's bathroom versus its entrance and sleeping space. Also this hotel allows pets. I was not aware of this until check out time when two huge dogs walked through the lobby and the receptionist declared the hotel pet-friendly. This situation could be problematic for individuals, like myself, who are allegeric to dogs and cats. In sum, I cercertainly do not recommend this hotel to single female travelers or those who like being treated like a valued customer. DC Joyce

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Joyce77
Aloft_Brooklyn, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2011

Dear Joyce77,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our new hotel. I apologize that it was not what you were expecting. Out hotel is definately new and I guess one could say it does have a new car smell to it. That being said I will be getting with my housekeeping on seeing what we can do to eleminate the odor of any adhesive you said you smelled.

I do want to mention that the aloft hotel's are without a doubt a new breed of hotel born from the vision of W hotels. Our rooms do resemble loft spaces and are not your typical hotel guest rooms. The bathrooms though are completely separate from the guest rooms. The aloft brand also is a pet friendly hotel and all guests with pets are placed on separate floors away from those without pets or those that may be alergic to animals. We opend our doors exactly 10 days ago and I belive so far we've only had a few guests with a pet.

Also please know that our street lights were just set in place the other day and the city of NY will be attending to them shortly to wire them for power.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review, we always appreciate feedback from guests be in positive or constrcutive.

Reviewed 19 June 2011

We stayed here 2 days after it opened and loved it. We felt that we got a much more authentic New York experience than we would would have if we stayed in Times Square. The subway ride to Times Square is no more than 10 minutes, and we loved getting away from the commotion at night. The hotel is very close to Jay St. and Metrotech subway stops. It's also very close to the original Junior's Cheesecake, which was delicious.

The staff was very helpful with any questions we had. They also got us a car service back to LaGuardia.

This was a GREAT value for the money. The hotel is funky, new, and clean. We spent almost every night relaxing in the bar or on the beautiful patio.

I never felt unsafe staying here. We were a group of 2 couples. Perhaps if I had been alone or with one female friend I might have felt less comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank geekat515
Aloft_Brooklyn, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2011

Dear geekat515,

Thank you so much for writting such a great review. We value our guests comments be them positive or negative. It's comments like yours that the staff loves and it really makes them want to try harder. Thanks for the pat on the back and please spread the word. Thanks for staying with us!

Reviewed 14 June 2011

very excited to stay at this new hotel, however, I was quite disappointed due to the following:
1. room has never been cleaned despite requests (bed was made once and housekeeping left door opened!)
2. bar food and drink menu was not ready-ordered several things only to be told they were not available
3. elevator has been having problems-forced to wait at least 15 minutes each way
4. staff has not been adequently trained
As I'm staying here for a week, I was hoping for better accomadations. I've never had a problem with any of the W hotels and took a chance with Aloft. Sadly, I was let down.
I wrote a letter expressing my concerns and was responded with a generic email offering no apology.

• Stayed: June 2011