“Aloft Brooklyn - Great Hotel with some minor downsides”

Aloft New York Brooklyn
Ranked #22 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed 11 July 2011

We stayed at the Aloft Brooklyn in mid-june for 4 nights and liked it a lot. It had some minor downsides but I'm sure nearly all these issues can be fixed in the near future.

Pros:

-Nice and modern rooms, brand new, very spacious by NY standards. They have a big flatscreen TV and fast, reliable and free WiFi in the room and in the lobby. Room safe. 2 PCs in the lobby for those who don't bring their own Laptop.

-Very close to subway to Manhattan/JFK and the nice neighborhoods of brooklyn and the Brooklyn Bridge.

-Very comfortable Bed, the best I ever had in a hotel room.

-Nice and effective staff, good cleaning of the rooms when you follow the rules written in the room (they only change your linen when you want it for example).

-good bar and a pool table in the lobby.

-Possibility to buy some snacks/drinks/coffee in the lobby but it is cheaper to walk a few steps to the deli.

Cons:

-Location (not fancy, not much to see in the direct neighborhood, could be uncomfortable for some people to walk the area at night)

-The hotel is not really finished, rooftop bar is still a construction site.

-No fridge in room (but coffee maker and free water).

Tips:
visit the Brooklyn neighboorhoods like Cobble Hill, Park Slope, Dumbo etc. Walk Montague Street to the East river for fantastic views on downtown Manhattan. Visit the Brooklyn Bridge Park and walk over the Bridge to Manhattan.
There are several food options close to the Hotel at the Metro Tech Campus (Starbucks, Metro Café, Five Guys, Bon Pain). The Burrito Shop (Super Taco in Willoughby Street) around the corner of the Hotel is very good.
Montague Street is nice for breakfast and has great views on downtown Manhattan at the end of the street.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank travelmonk
Aloft_Brooklyn, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2011

Dear Travelmonk,

Thanks for the great review. I see you stayed here not long after we just opened our doors. Thank you so much for your business and look for new things coming to the aloft. The roof top bar should be opening very soon and live entertainment periodically will also take place.

Thanks again for taking the time out to write a review and have a great summer!

Reviewed 10 July 2011

We stayed in the Aloft Brooklyn Hotel for 9 days in July 2011 and liked the hotel BUT it does have some problems.

The location in downtown Brooklyn was nice, especially since it was close to Fulton Street (with lots of shops and fast-food restaurants) and also close to the Brooklyn- and Manhattan Bridge. There are several subway stations not far from the hotel.

The hotel itself is brand new and very fresh. The lobby was nice. It had a front desk, a pool table, a small bar and a small area for food and drinks. The bar was located just outside the lifts and wasn't that special. If the bar had been located in the inner room it had been perfect.

Anyways, the rooms where smallish but good. The wardrobe was almost non-existing. It was TOO small. The bathroom was new. So new it actually still had marks on the floor from the construction workers... The TV and free wi-fi was perfect and the beds where very nice. Our view from the 10th floor wasn't amazing, but good enough.

Our issues with the hotel was:
1: the cleaning - sometimes the cleaners knocked on the door at 10, and we asked them to come back later, but they never did.... the bedsheets were not changed every day, we had to ask the cleaners to change them.

2: the non-existing wardrobe - you could basically fit 5 shirts on hangers...
there were also some shelfs, but not alot.

3: the non-existing roof-top bar/ restaurant - before we went to NY we read online that the hotel had a roof-top bar/ restaurant but on arrivel we found out that it was under construction and closed!!!

All in all - a nice design hotel in downtown brooklyn with excellent communication with some problems.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Aloft_Brooklyn, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2011

Dear Hundenleifen,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our new hotel, we apprecaite all feedback from past guests so we know how we can improve in the future. Also thank you for the nice comments about the hotel and the location.

The aloft Hotel brand is a unique brand and I apologize if your sheets were only changed when you asked them to be changed. We are a practicing green hotel which means we do not change the sheets daily unless asked to do so by our guests. There is a letter about our program in your room describing. I believe we should begin to tell our guests at check in of our program to conserve so our guests become more informed of teh hotel.

Please also accept my apologies on the size of the waredrobes. They are deffinately not large. As for the rooftop bar, I'm not sure where you read about the bar being open. I know we have been advertising that the night club is coming soon but not open quite yet. The night club will be open this August for sure.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review and we wish you a fantastic summer!

Reviewed 10 July 2011

My wife and I thought it would be fun to take our 3 year old on a trip to New York City and see some of the sites. This is a new hotel and offered a great promotional rate of $99/night.

We flew into LGA and took a taxi ($30) to the hotel. Note: the hotel is near a street-type mall that only allows buses, so we had to walk a couple of blocks to the hotel with our luggage in tow (not a problem for us, but might be with someone with disabilities).

We checked in without any problem. The hotel has a funky 60's retro look and would appeal to people (like us) who enjoy that aesthetic. There is a pool table in the lobby and cool 60's-style egg chairs that our son loved. There is a small, cool bar that always seemed to have someone sitting at and a small snack area next to reception that sells coffee, fresh fruit, sodas, etc.

The elevators are lit with blue LED's and a liquid-filled mat that our son enjoyed squishing. The room was a very good size and had room for a pack-n-play for him (the hotel charges $25 for a crib). The room was very clean and nicely laid-out. We enjoyed sitting on the ledge and looking out the window from the 28th floor.

The hotel is in a great location: located next to the MetroTech Center. The Brooklyn TKTS booth is very close as well. The area is very active during the day, but can be a little disconcerting later at night with fewer people around and closed shops. Know how to return to the hotel - it's easy to get turned-around after getting off the subway. Manhattan is only 3 or 4 subway stops away.

The only difficulties we had were with the front desk staff. They were perfectly nice, but absolutely no help at all when we needed them. First, we asked if they knew of a good local place for breakfast. They offered up a place that they said was a couple of blocks away. So we loaded the kid in a stroller and started walking. And walking. And walking... When I finally check out the location of the place on my iPhone, I discovered that it was about 3 or 4 miles away! We ended up at a Duncan Donuts completely devoid of any NYC ambience.

The next time we needed the front desk staff was after we checked out. We asked them to call a cab to drive us to JFK. They stated that they didn't know the phone number and made no effort to look it up. Pressed about it, they claimed that it was company policy not to call cabs for guests, but to offer their "preffered" transportation provider who happened to be waiting outside and would drive us to JFK for $55. I don't like being held hostage, so we declined the "offer" and walked two blocks where we waited for a passing cab. After about 20 minutes we found one and he drove us to JFK for a flat fare of $45 (plus tip of course).

Call me crazy, but it's my belief that the hotel staff is there to make your time in their city more pleasant, not to place unnecessary obstacles in your way. Do some research before you go and figure out what is in the area and plan your transportation beforehand. In short, don't count on the front desk staff to provide any useful information or to be of much help.

2  Thank flyguy26

Dear Flyguy26,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on our new aloft Hotel. We love to hear from our guests be it a great stay or any critical comments, we always learn from both. I'm glad to hear you liked the hotel and happy to hear your son liked to elevator flooring. It's deffinately a unique floor and an all around fun elevator.

Please though accept my apologies on behalf of the front desk staff. I'm not sure what the disconnect was with reccomending you to a close breakfast place. I will deffinately get with my Guest Services Manager to review local places to eat so the staff is more informed.

As for the transportation issue, we can not call cabs here nor any other place in NYC. The Yellow Cabs do not accept calls for pick ups. The only way the hotel or any hotel here can guarantee you transportation is by private car service which I believe is what they recommended to you and are right outside our front door. Yellow cabs are hard to flag down here in Brooklyn so I'm gald you were able to catch one and make your destination.

Thanks again for your feed back and I will address the situation with my staff. Have a great summer and thank you for your business.

Reviewed 9 July 2011

My rate was discounted bcuz of the grand opening. I wud never pay full price to stay here. Small rooms, cable wasn't working, paper thin walls..yikes! Ice machine is in the sub-basement. U cant beat the location though...i love downtown Brooklyn. I wud stay at the Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge next time.

• Stayed: June 2011
Aloft_Brooklyn, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2011

Dear JaeATL,

Sorry you didn't have a great time in our hotel and we didn't meet your expectations. Yes we did have a few issues with the TV cable at opening and we are happy to say the cable has been completely fixed as well as a few other items. Our hotel is completely different then the Marriott and we know we aren't meant for everyone. The Marriott has many different sizes of rooms and some smaller then ours so not sure what rooms you are comparing there to here. I'm sure the fine people over there will welcome you as a guest as we did and you will be happy there. You may want to stop in again and see the changes we've made since opening too. I do thank you for giving as a try and appreciate your business.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel and have a great summer.

Reviewed 9 July 2011

We enjoyed our stay from July 1-6 and will recommend this hotel to friends. We have stayed in Manhattan before, but wanted a different experience. We were able to get a nice, new, modern room at a really great price. The room was small, as all rooms in NYC are, but the space was well utilized and we had everything we needed. Our teenagers enjoyed the flat screen tv, free wifi, and plenty of electric outlets for charging cell phones, ipods etc.

The close proximity to the Jay St. Metro Tech subway station allowed use to get to restaurants, shopping and attractions very quickly. We were also really close to the Brooklyn TKTS booth which allowed us to get dicounted tickets for Broadway shows.

We ventured up to the top floor on July 4 and had a great view of fireworks and the Statue of Liberty. It looks as if there will be a bar up there, but it isn't quite finished. The hotel shares a pool with the Sheraton, but we were too busy to swim.

The front desk staff was very helpful and we appreciated their help with extra towels, directions, and even holding our luggage before we left. Thanks Aloft!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank TexansLove2Travel

Dear Texans,

Thanks for the wonderful review and taking the time to write. Hopefully you will come back someday soon to see the finished night club we are opening soon on the roof top. It's going to be one of the hot spots here in Brooklyn when opened later this month.

Glad your kids enjoyed the room as well. Have a great summer and rest of 2011.

Reviewed 30 June 2011

We had a great stay at the hotel from June 10-14 and for it being opening weekend, everything went so smooth with our stay and anything we needed the staff were very accommodating. We only had one day when housekeeping did not show up to our room, but the front desk staff made sure to get towels for us and gave us some complimentary snacks, which were much appreciated.

We hope to get back to NY again sometime and will definitely have Aloft top on our list of places to stay. I am also looking at staying at the Aloft close to Boston in August when I’m visiting there.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Aloft_Brooklyn, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2011

Dear Halfblood,

Thanks for the review and thank you so much for the e mail you sent me regarding your stay. That was so much appreciated by myself and my staff. I was true to my word and shared it with them. As a new hotel we did have a few bumps during opening, we tried to make everything as smooth as possible for our guests and have improved so much since opening day three weeks ago.

You comments here will be shared with the staff as well. All comments are shared with the staff good and bad.

Thanks for visiting us the other week, we definately appreciate the business and the feedback. Please enjoy your holiday this weekend if you are in the states or if back home, have a great weekend.

Best Regards

Reviewed 29 June 2011

We stayed here for four nights while we attended a family gathering. This hotel is next door to the Sheraton in downtown Brooklyn. This is an area undergoing development, and quite run down. The room was very small, and with two beds, it was impossible to sit at the desk and use a computer and at the same time allow the other person to pass by. The decor is contemporary and the lobby quite attractive, but very noisy with piped in music blaring, and really not enough room for such a large hotel. There is no place for a sit down breakfast, so we went to the Sheraton next door. I was told that this hotel was designed with the " younger set' in mind, so that perhaps my taste and expectation of comfort is different, although my young friends felt the same . The rooms were clean. it was very difficult to get a taxi from the hotel. The hotel has its own or has a connection to a limousine/taxi service which is much more expensive than the yellow cabs, who never come to this area. Parking is available nearby but very expensive. This is a brand new hotel, however I found it very disappointing.

1  Thank Wolfe

Dear Wolfe,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at the new Aloft hotel in Brooklyn. While we definately love to hear positive feedback, we also know that are hotel is not going to be for everyone and welcome the critical feed back from guest so we can improve. I was surprised at several comments you made though. While I will admit our rooms are not the typical size of a suburban hotel, our rooms here tend to be bigger then those new hotel rooms being built in Manhattan. Our ceilings are high and the rooms do have 2 windows in them. I do apologize if you were not happy with the size of the rooms.

As for the area being rundown, this area of Brooklyn for the past several years has been going through a major over-haul. All around us are brand new high-rise apartment buildings, new construction and many older buildings being renovated. I realize there are a few older buildings in the area with scaffolding on them, but this is only due to restoration work. I wouldn't call this area run down what so ever. We are one block away from the new Metro Tech Plaza complex which is a beautiful complex full of shops, offices and schools.

You also commented on the "piped in music". This is music specifically designed for the aloft and is played throughout all the common areas of the hotel excluding the guest room floors. This is the first bad comment I've received about it. The aloft lobby is designed to be used by the guest with a bar, pool table, retail sales area and lounge type seating. We are definately different then our sister hotel next door the Sheraton. Again, I apologize if we didn't meet your expectations. If the music was too loud we should probably turn it down some then.

Our hotel is not for everyone, it is a different and unique type of hotel designed for the traveler that does want something different at an affordable price. I hadn't heard any negative comments from your group and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Again, I apologize if we did not meet your expectations. As I said, we welcome comments good and bad from our guests. It's how we grow and learn.

Thanks and have a great holiday!