“You would stay here!”

Ranked #20 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands
“You would stay here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

This hotel is what a hotel should be! Very fast elevators, nice staff, high speed internet, a newspaper every day.
We bought a bottle of wine but didn't have an opener, we could borrow the opener from the bar and even bring it up to our room to open it there!
The rooms are amazing, they are new and very clean and the oversized shower head is amazing! We were on the 23t floor and the view was amazing, nice place to take some pictures.

The location is also good, not in the busy neighborhood of Manhattan, but you can take the Q line to Manhattan and be there in less then 10 minutes, Brooklyn is also a good place to stay, they got it all, restaurants, shops etc. Overall, when you are in Brooklyn, make sure you stay here!

Room Tip: Get a high floor for the view
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Aloft_Brooklyn, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, 25 July 2011
Dear Mark,

Thanks for writing a review on our hotel. It's amazing to see people from all parts of the world writing a review and a special thanks for the great comments. We're extremely happy you decided to stay with us and it sounds like you deffinately "Get Us" as a hotel brand with alot to offer and a special vibe and feel.

Thanks again Mark and wishing you the very best of a summer!

Karl E. Baugher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Korean first
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

I've never posted on a travel website before but aloft Brooklyn just did something very nice for me. I booked my stay on Priceline and idiotically booked it for a week later than I meant to. My heart sank when they told me this and Priceline's email confirmation confirmed it. I was already trying to decide which friend's couch I would have to sleep on during my last night in NYC for a while. But Alex at the front desk made a quick phone call and he was able to switch my reservation to tonight with ease. I was so impressed at the aplomb with which Alex cleaned up my mistake and made everything right with a few keystrokes. Now I can go back to pretending I'm perfect. Thanks aloft!

By the way, I'm writing this from my beautiful room at the aloft with the wifi blazing and the A/C pumping on a 90 degree day. Everything has been perfect so far.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank TH42
Aloft_Brooklyn, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, 23 July 2011
Dear TH42,

Thanks for writing a review on your experience here at the Aloft. If Alex would have done anything less, I would have been dissappointed to tell you the truth. I'm thrilled he was able to get you in during the time period you wanted.

Have a great stay with us and thank you again for mentioning your customer service experience. I will definately share with Alex and the entire Guest Service Staff.

Karl Baugher
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

We stayed at Aloft July 1 - July 5th 2011. We have stayed at other Aloft's in other cities and by far, the rooms are much smaller in NYC. I understand the reason for it, I use to live in NY myself, however, I did not expect them to be as small as they were, reminded me of a college dorm room. We enjoyed staying at Aloft but definitely not good if you are staying with children, fine for a couple or one person. We may try Sheraton next time, which is right next door (another Starwood property). Here are our issues:

1. Customer service from the front desk could use some help. With it being a brand new property, you would think the customer service would have been spectacular! One one occassion, a young lady was so busy texting on her cell phone that she didn't even stop to acknowledge that I was standing there. When she finally did, she gave me a quick answer and went back to texting. I wish I would have gotten her name, I do remember what she looks like. On another occassion, I asked a guy about the parking situation directly across the street, he gave me a response that was the equivalent, lady, my job is with the hotel, I don't give info outside of the hotel!...LOL

2. The walls are EXTREMELY thin! Our room was next to some young girls who talked about men all night long, I prayed they did not bring any men back to the room with them because we have small children and you could hear everything very clearly.

3. Parking is horrible, would have been nice to get a discounted rate from the parking lot directly across the street from the hotel. We got a $115 parking ticket, I would recommend not having a vehicle if you will be staying here!

I do want to acknowledge the exceptional customer service from the worker staff within the hotel (maids, maintenance crue, etc.---not front desk) They were super friendly and very accommodating! The front desk crue should take lessons on customer service from the work staff.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Dear anjrhubb,

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review on your experience here at the hotel. First I would like to apologize for your experience at the front desk. I wish I knew who the talent member was as we do not permit the use of cell phones during working hours. All of our time is to be devoted to our guests and guests alone. Please accept my apologies.

As for the Heart of the House staff, I will definately share your comments with them as they tend to be the unsung heros that really make the hotel what it is.

Thank you for selecting the Aloft Hotel in Brooklyn and again thank you for writing your review. We do appreciate all comments be they compliments or highly constructive ones such as yours.

Best Regards and have a great summer!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

aloft Brooklyn is located in the heart of downtown Brooklyn with a funky vibe to match the funky neighborhood. The service is great--friendly front desk staff. Rooms are small but about average for a NYC hotel room and well appointed, comfortable and featuring seemingly small but meaningful amenities like hotel-wide free WiFi and water in your room.

The hotel screams "young and hip" from the moment you walk through the door but would also be suitable for any business traveler.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank FourDayTraveler
Dear FourDayTraveler,

You hit the nail on the head and I want to thank you. Our hotel is for both the young and the young at heart. We are not like the typical hotel, we strive to be a little edgy with music, cocktails, pool table and more in the lobby just to name a few.

Thanks for taking the time to write such a great review. It's very much appreciated and I will share with my staff.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

I arrived there the next day it had been opened. Maybe that will explain why the service was rubbish at this hotel.
We got to the hotel with all our luggage around 4PM and weren't able to check in immediately. Waited about 20 min e then went up to the bedroom that looked as it had just been quickly cleaned up.
The room has a fair size. Not big or small, fits two people comfortably. Brand new furniture, rubber floor in the bathroom, free high speed internet access wired and wireless...The air conditioning faced straight to my bed and it was very uncomfortably during the night.
Well the service was just poor. I don't know if the employees weren't familiar with the hotel facilities and system, but I had a terrible experience regarding staff. The room service was terribly done when they had the time to do it. I say that because I can recall of one day that I got back to the hotel at 10 pm and my room looked exactly how I left it in the morning.
The was never replacement for coffee and water...I had to call the front desk at least 10 times during the week I stayed over.
We had some troubles with packages delivered to the front desk as well. Sometimes they would send all the mail to our room. In some occasions they would place the packages in a storage room and wait to see if we were going to ask them about it. Weird, but true.
I would recommend this hotel for its facilities and cool looking. The only thing I would like to suggest you is to deal clearly with the staff and repeat everything that you want them to do at least 20 times cause than you will probably be helped.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Dear Ragaelagos,

I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to write about your experience at the new Aloft Hotel. It's apparent we did not meet your expectations during your stay here. While it is true the first few days were a little bumpy, we had to find our mojo and get into the swing of things. I do apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

I will share your comments with my staff as we learn from both great comments and even those that sting us a bit.

Fayetteville, Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

I will start by listing the good....
Pro- The rooms were nice,clean and stylish with subway access near by. Also Junior's is a few blocks away.

Cons-
-We had requested a refrigerator prior to our arrival (and refrigerators are also listed as coming with the room on their website) due to my husband being diabetic and needing to keep his insulin cold and also store supplies in case he had low blood sugar. We were not given a refrigerator until day three of our stay and the only reason we were given one was due to the fact that I went down stairs and complained. The staff memeber was rude and told me "he didn't know what I wanted him to do about it" I told him he needed to make it happen because the previous night I had to run down stairs at 3 am due to my husband being in low blood sugar and we were not happy. He finally called the Sheraton and got us a refrigerator.

-The rooms are small..

-.The website list queen beds, again another false statement, they are a full.

-The AC is poorly designed with a desk over it which means it does not cool the entire room very well.

-The hotel "store" is insanly overpriced. Coke $3, Candy $2, Salad $10, Ice Cream $6....all are very very over priced (the do not offer breakfast)

-Some staff leave a lot to be desired when it comes to customer services

-Location is kind of far away from things without a walk or subway ride.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Aloft_Brooklyn, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, 14 July 2011
Dear Sherrenee,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel and your experience with us. I'm sorry we were not able to meet your need for a refrigerator as you requested. We do have them listed as available on request and they seem to go quickly. Because of the demand I have ordered an additional 10 refrigerators for the hotel and are now on property as of yesterday.

As for the prices of our food, it should be noted that the $10 salad is a large grilled chicken or shrimp salad and the other offerings we have are all large size. Our prices are less expensive then going to a restaurant by far.

Our location is that of downtown Brooklyn and less then one block from the subway system which will take people into Manhattan in 3 stops or farther into Brooklyn.

Our rooms are definately 2 full-size beds in the rooms with 2 beds and kings in all other rooms and suites.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our hotel. My staff and I wish you and your family a great summer and thank you for staying with us.

San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

I booked my tickets in the beginning of April for my stay July 6th-July 12th. I had several questions prior to my visit in which the G.M. of the hotel (Karl Baugher) consistently contacted me clarifying. My reservation got lost in the system due to their grand opening, and again I contacted the hotel and my problem was assisted by a friendly lady named Ela Sternal. I work in customer service and the assistance given by this hotel prior to my visit went a long way in my opinion.
As for the trip itself, my girlfriend and I checked in before 3pm on the first day and were attended to immediately by Kameo at the front desk. He was outgoing and very personable. Our room was a king bed on the 22nd floor that offered a magnificent view of the city of Brooklyn. The air conditioning was already on as well which was a relief as the weather outside was hot and slightly muggy.
The rooms include a safe for valuables, coffee maker, refilled bottles of water (that were refilled each and every time save once during our trip), wi-fi connection, and a Panasonic HDTV that includes 36 channels (plus Showtime). I don't watch much tv on vacation but the option is very nice to have at the end of a busy day. Room service came each time we requested it, and NEVER came when we had our sign on the door. They also frequently drop off a copy of USA Today each morning. Again, customer service in a great manner in my opinion.
The Aloft has a snack area by the check-in which offers reasonably priced options for a quick breakfast or pick-me-up. The bar is also available and there is not a problem getting a quick drink.
As to the location, it is right next door to the Sheraton and is near the Fulton Mall in Brooklyn. There are subway stations everywhere nearby (Jay St, Hoyt, and DeKalb). If you want to go into Manhattan, hop on the 1,2,3,R, or Q and you'll be there in no time. I didn't have any concerns about the surrounding area at any point during my trip, night or day.
All in all it was a great trip and I'm more than pleased with my experience dealing with the Aloft. Thanks to everyone working for this company that made it such a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor if possible for a great view
Dear Matt,

Thanks for the great review, I am definately going to share your comments with my staff and particularly Kameo. We appreciate you taking the time out of your schedule to write a review on our hotel and about your experience with us here at the aloft.

Have a great summer and thank you for staying with us.

karl E. Baugher