“Always something missing”

Ranked #20 of 71 Hotels in Brooklyn
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Always something missing”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Great staff, typically and always clean, well kept and nice. But there is always something just a little off: the tv will be missing multiple channels, the phone doesn't work, the wifi is slow, the rate is different. I've been here for weeks and will continue to visit, just would love a little more consistency.

• Stayed June 2012
Timothy G G, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for your recent comments because they make us better. I will share your comments with my entire staff and would like to speak with you regarding some of the items presented. It is our desire to make certain that you have a memorable experience each and everytime. Thanks again for your comments and I am looking forward to speaking with you.

timothy.gilbert@aloftnewyorkbrooklyn.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Korean first
Orange
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Arrived July 13 th at 1 am, late check in was friendly with Duane and he was very accommodating. For some reason one of my cc didn't go thru for the second room of $110.45 for incidentals! The room was pre paid before arrival. Duane was patient trying to run my card talking to the agent but no success. The hotel doesn't accept cash so I was stuck for 45 minutes trying to figure out how i was going to check into my fully paid room but the hotel doesn't accept cash for incidentis or deposit. Luckily we ran my first card again and the incidental charges were approved. I tried to use my second cc for shopping today to find out somehow the front desk computer put a $1700 hold on my cc! Went to chase here in Brooklyn and they couldn't release it, went to front dest asked for Tim the manager as it states in the reviews to directly ask for Tim. The front desk agent took my information, he called Tim didn't specifically share I requested to speak to him and the agent called the accounting department He explained he didnt see a hold on my cc and I needed to call the bank so back and forth I go! Luckily I brought plenty of cash for my stay but am stuck without a cc for the remainder of my 5 day trip. The front desk agent was kind and patient as was I, I was trying to explain I wanted someone to look into the issue of my cc having a hold of $1700 when my room was already paid for and the total cost of my rooms were only $1500 for both! No contact from Tim allowing me to explain my situation so this wouldn't occur to another guest! I can only hope the front desk agent shared the situation with the GM.

So past this hick up as we all know computers and humans can make mistakes! I really love this hotel! Easy access to Metro, staff and house keeping accommodating, room super cute, and the surrounding area of Brooklyn is just adorable!

My advice is always be patient when traveling and treat others how you want to be treated. Vacation is about fun and memories.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Kaycee1525
, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for recent comments and I am very sorry that I was not contacted regarding this matter. I would love to speak with you directly regarding this issue and will also share this with my Front Desk talent. I am looking forward to speaking with you and have included my email in this response.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stayed here for my bachelor party this weekend and it resulted in a pretty grumpy start to the night. The best man had originally reserved three rooms at somewhere around $290 for all three using Starwood Preferred. We canceled two of the rooms (many of the guys needed to stay elsewhere for logistical reasons) and arrived to find our rate had been bumped to $250 for the one room.

Easy to fix, right? I mean, we've got the reservation number, original quote, etc. in an email.

No, not so much. The desk was swamped and requiring us to email things to them and at no point seemed to understand what had happened or what was going on. After about 25 minutes of trying to keep our cool, we were going to be late for dinner, so we just payed the higher rate and were told we were upgraded, but arrived to find ourselves in the same room we had booked.

The room itself was clean and nice, with a pretty good view, but the whole fake upgrade was insult to injury.

Neighborhood is a little sketchy at night, but a good location if you need to stay in Brooklyn. But there are plenty of decent hotels in Manhattan that you can get for less than $250 on Hotwire or other discount sites any day. In fact, I got a quote for $190 for the same hotel the day before.

Room Tip: Some of the views on the higher floor are very nice.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for your recent comments about your rate experience at the Aloft. I would love to discuss this further to make certain that we went through the proper channels to make sure you were happy. Please contact me personally so we can resolve this issue immediately and thanks again for staying and living ALOFT.

Chicago
Reviewed 9 July 2012

A few weeks ago my wife and I stayed at this hotel. Nice lobby, very nice rooms, good value, and convenient. I would have rated it very good or maybe even excellent except for a noise issue. Our first room was on an upper floor. When we checked in late at night we could hear the music from the top floor club in the elevator and it was just as loud in the hallway. The noise was also very loud in our room. We immediatly asked for a different foom on a lower floor, which was only given to us after much insistance. The desk staff didn't seem very concerned. If you stay at this hotel, make sure that is it ONLY on a lower floor. It should be a very nice stay in that instance.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the upper floors.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank garyiw
Aloha,

Thank you for living Aloft. Your comments will be forwarded to all of my talent teams and I have enclosed my contact info if you have any additional comments or suggestions. Thanks again for living ALOFT.

Irwin, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 July 2012

The hotel is clean, friendly, and nice. From the knowledgable desk agent to the lobby bartenders and the housekeepers are top notch. The room was made up daily and perfectly. Beds are so comfy you don't want to get out. The only thing I didn't like was the price for a beer, but it's New York pricing so I understand. The car service right out front is a plus as well.

Room Tip: Chose a high floor room, just for the view..
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Aloha,

Thanks for staying with us! Your feedback is a tool that we share with our talent and it makes us better. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have enclosed my email for any addtional feedback or future travel plans.

General Manager'
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I stayed a week in this Brooklyn hotel, so that's enough to experience all the good and bad things. The good things: the room is okay, the bed is comfortable, enough pillows and I even had a view (22nd floor) ... not extremely large, as usual in NYC. But everything is there and the shower is fine as well. Reception is very friendly, nothing wrong.
Unfortunatley the A/C makes a lot of noise, so I was glad I had my motorcycle earplugs with me. Without that it would have been less comfortable (and it was a 100 degrees outside, so airco was really necessary). The Subway is very close and that's nice. It takes about 25 minutes to downtown Manhattan. I thought I would be in Brooklyn more often during that week, but I was more often in Manhattan. So then it's less practical to pick this spot. More so because the direct surrounding isn't really very interesting. Not much to do at night, so off you go again.

So you should take that in mind. But despite that, I can recommend the hotel with pleasure.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your recent visit to the Aloft downtown Brooklyn. We are happy that you selected us and would like to see you again. I have enclosed my email address if you have any additional comments and ideas or just need assistance with your travel plans.

Timothy.gilbert@aloftnewyorkbrookyn.com
London
Reviewed 30 June 2012

If you like sleeping in a wind tunnel, this is the place for you. If you want to pay high prices to stay in a hotel whose lobby feels like a school cafeteria, then check in. The staff are overwhelmed. The rooms are poorly laid out with the worlds most noisy and ineffective aircon. When I checked out two days early the hotel wouldn't refund the difference. This place smacks of corporate greed and poor resourcing. Stay at the NU hotel - a fantastic hotel with a wonderful feel and staff.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank samb1
, General Manager at Aloft New York Brooklyn, responded to this review, 1 July 2012
Aloha,

Good afternoon. I am sorry that our hotel did not live up to your expectations and because we pride ourselves with giving outstanding service I would like to give you an opportunity to visit us again. The Aloft is the newest, trendy away from home spot in Brooklyn and from the feedback that we recieve often we are happy provide this to our guests. Your comments will be shared with each talent member and we hope you allow us the opportunity to accomodate you again. I have enclosed my email for speedy return. timothy.gilbert@aloftnewyorkbrooklyn.com